REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
N with family

its been looong time since ive had my N so i cant remember about this rule.

one of my cousins recently got his N, can i make him be me and my other cousins designated driver? or is it that he can only have 1 passenger unless its direct family (brother/sister/mother/father)? do cousins apply to that rule as well?
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

They must be direct family members (ie brother, sister, mom). But i believe that if your cousin lived with you he would be considered a direct fam member (someone get me if im wrong).

My friend tried the cousin one at a roadblock but still got a ticket (cop said cousin doesnt count, plus we were still over by 2).
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoo- View Post
They must be direct family members (ie brother, sister, mom). But i believe that if your cousin lived with you he would be considered a direct fam member (someone get me if im wrong).

My friend tried the cousin one at a roadblock but still got a ticket (cop said cousin doesnt count, plus we were still over by 2).
I think it is immediate family members so it would have to be brother, sister, mother and father. No one else unless you have a "supervisor" who is someone age 25+ w/ a class 5 license.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
If you're over 25 with a Class 5, I think the rule is invalidated. But I'm gonna guess that if you're under the influence, the invalidation is negated.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Instead of speculating I got this from the ICBC website in 15 seconds...
Novice drivers (N)

You are limited to 1 passenger—unless you're driving a passenger vehicle and have a supervisor 25 years or older with a valid Class 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 driver's licence.

What about family members? This restriction does not apply to immediate family members: mother, father, sister, brother, child, spouse, grandparent, grandchild; including step and foster relationships.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

thats BS

i tried the step bro thing and buddy still got ticketed lol....

and the cop said it doesn't matter if its step- related... wahtta prick
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300 View Post
thats BS

i tried the step bro thing and buddy still got ticketed lol....

and the cop said it doesn't matter if its step- related... wahtta prick
Was he actually your step brother?

OR were you just BSing?

If it was really your step brother, I can see a it being a successful dispute.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
My buddy was pulled over with 4 passengers with his N after a party, got away without a ticket. completely blown away cause he had a few drinks and the cop didnt notice.
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmatic View Post
My buddy was pulled over with 4 passengers with his N after a party, got away without a ticket. completely blown away cause he had a few drinks and the cop didnt notice.
most stories don't end up like this. Don't count on being lucky with a cop, worry more about getting home safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 AM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Instead of speculating I got this from the ICBC website in 15 seconds...
Novice drivers (N)

You are limited to 1 passenger—unless you're driving a passenger vehicle and have a supervisor 25 years or older with a valid Class 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 driver's licence.

What about family members? This restriction does not apply to immediate family members: mother, father, sister, brother, child, spouse, grandparent, grandchild; including step and foster relationships.
so does this mean that if the 25 or older with class 5 is drunk, its still ok for the N driver to drive with 2+ passenger? or does the class 5 driver needs to be absolutely sober... i would think he needs to be sober but would like to be sure
Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

If the 25 year old was drunk he could be chareged for having care and control of the vehicle while impaired. He is supposed to be supervising = controling the N driver. I have convicted an impaired supervisor with an L driver before.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
most stories don't end up like this. Don't count on being lucky with a cop, worry more about getting home safely.
ive driven thru a white rock roadblock after having 2 rockstar vodka's with my N and they let me thru lol
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
ive driven thru a white rock roadblock after having 2 rockstar vodka's with my N and they let me thru lol
wow, dude that is completely bad freakin ass. Were you just all like then did some drugs n shit
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Dumbass.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

Yep...lotta bad behaviour..drinking with a N, driving with zero alcohol, feeling cocky enough to bluff it out at a road check.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Does a common law spouse count as an immediate family member, I've lived with my gf for two years so it would be nice to not count her as a passenger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmatic View Post
Your friends not lucky to have gotten off without a ticket, he's lucky to have not gotten into an accident, because his insurance would have been void.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer

After 6 months of cohabitation I believe you would legally be considered "married". Show the Police her ID with the same address and things like power bills, phone bills, credit cards etc and that would support your claim.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It's probably obvious enough, but recently my coworker who has a class 5 and his wife has a class 7 had questions regarding the rule. He was too drunk to drive after a xmas party, so he let his wife drive him and his two kids home. Although it doesn't say directly, it won't apply to "Wife or Husband" either :P

This restriction does not apply to immediate family members: mother, father, sister, brother, child, spouse, grandparent, grandchild; including step and foster relationships
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
It's probably obvious enough, but recently my coworker who has a class 5 and his wife has a class 7 had questions regarding the rule. He was too drunk to drive after a xmas party, so he let his wife drive him and his two kids home. Although it doesn't say directly, it won't apply to "Wife or Husband" either :P

This restriction does not apply to immediate family members: mother, father, sister, brother, child, spouse, grandparent, grandchild; including step and foster relationships
That would mean husband/wife/common law partner. If your co worker's wife was a Learner or restrictions on her DL required a "supervisor", he could have been charged for having care and control. By not getting behind the wheel he made the right choice but he may have found himself in trouble if he was supposed to be supervising her. I'm not sure of what restrictions she had so this may or may not have been a consideration.

Operation while impaired

253. Every one commits an offence who operates a motor vehicle or vessel or operates or assists in the operation of an aircraft or of railway equipment or has the care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment, whether it is in motion or not,

(a) while the person's ability to operate the vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment is impaired by alcohol or a drug; or

(b) having consumed alcohol in such a quantity that the concentration in the person's blood exceeds eighty milligrams of alcohol in one hundred millilitres of blood

Last edited by zulutango; 01-03-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
After 6 months of cohabitation I believe you would legally be considered "married". Show the Police her ID with the same address and things like power bills, phone bills, credit cards etc and that would support your claim.
One year of cohabitation in a marriage like relationship is the definition of common law spouse, its not six months anymore. I can't believe I didn't realize this till now. The only ticket I've ever received is driving contrary to restrictions for driving with her and one other passenger, I could have claimed her as a spouse

Thanks Zulutango!
Very helpful as always.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #21
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
One year of cohabitation in a marriage like relationship is the definition of common law spouse, its not six months anymore. I can't believe I didn't realize this till now. The only ticket I've ever received is driving contrary to restrictions for driving with her and one other passenger, I could have claimed her as a spouse

Thanks Zulutango!
Very helpful as always.
If that VT has not yet gone to court you might consider disputing it, based on what you now know.?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
If that VT has not yet gone to court you might consider disputing it, based on what you now know.?
To late, I paid the ticket immediately because at the time I thought I was at fault. I'll definitely keep his in the mind in the future though, certainly not the most expensive mistake I've made.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
To late, I paid the ticket immediately because at the time I thought I was at fault. I'll definitely keep his in the mind in the future though, certainly not the most expensive mistake I've made.

You been divorced too?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #24
CRS

Quote:
You been married too?
Fixed

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
wow, dude that is completely bad freakin ass. Were you just all like then did some drugs n shit
Well he IS from Surrey, land of the hardcore drinking N drivers and wank...oops I meant gangsters.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: