REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

ALDO men's shoes attracts but disappoints

Shopping for men's shoes has just become more complicated, for me that is. ALDO men's shoes are quite attractive. What particularly was attractive was their sneakers selection which some are quite eye catching until you put them on--hard as rock, no cushion, no comfort. A total disappointment, the shoe is cool on the outside, but stiff and flat on the inside.

Maybe I'm not shopping around enough, but it seems most shoes these days come with such lack of consideration for comfortable insoles. It is especially true for the fashion designers, they only make things look good. And are separate insoles really worth the extra hassle, money and worry?

It seems our only option for proper insoles is in the sportier and bigger brands such as Nike, Addidas, Puma and other athletic running shoe brands. But these however, don't fill the needs of the people who seek the semi-casual looking sneakers that ALDO holds as a fashion designer as I assume. Where may one find the full package of such a shoe that will satisfy both the feet and the eyes?

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/shoes/sneakers
Advertisement
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^If you're buying them on sale right now, they're dirt cheap - surely you can afford to buy the additional insoles with the savings.

That said, the lining will still be uncomfortable and in the long run, I think it's just better off spending more on a more durable and comfortable pair of sneakers. Your feet will thank you.

Shoes are one of the things I vow to never compromise in, regarding comfort.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I've had similar experience with Aldo, their dress shoes aren't so uncomfortable but the sneakers are just horrible. The soles feel super thin but under $50 it's hard to find shoes that look better locally.

Last year or so I've only bought adidas originals sneakers etc. I find they are comfortable for me and the prices are very reasonable. Picked up a few pairs all under $60.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Custom soles are arguably a lot more comfortable than soles implemented inside Nike, Adidas shoes. They aren't all too expensive either. $100 Nikes vs $60 Aldo's + $20 soles? Plus you can put the soles into multiple shoes.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
Aldo sneakers all just seem to be ripoff designs of classic Converse, Adidas and Nike's, just buy the originals.

Aldo dress shoes are often way too over stylized and douchey looking.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

it's aldo...what are you expecting?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Where do you guys suggest then, for men's dress shoes?

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I go to Springs for my dress shoes. $30-$40 when on sale, decent priced and looks good. Good enough for me. Don't really care about comfort, since I'm sitting at a office desk at work all day and not walking around a whole lot.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

If you're getting the shoes from Aldo, just spend the extra money on insoles.
You're saving quite a bit from what you'd be spending on the other brands.
However Aldo's quality is lacking in terms of durability.
I typically get my shoes from Kenneth Cole or Nordstrom.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
sure there are plenty of brands out there that carry styles equally or even more stylish designs than aldo for a decent price... brands such as ransom, supra, addidas original, jack purcell converse, huf... u can find some pretty reliable yet stylish shoes in certain shops in vancouver, just gotta know where.. for starters, j2 has some pretty good selections..however they do tend to be a bit more pricy... downtown is probably ur best bet..
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I go to Springs for my dress shoes. $30-$40 when on sale, decent priced and looks good. Good enough for me. Don't really care about comfort, since I'm sitting at a office desk at work all day and not walking around a whole lot.
Springs is the same thing, their insole is pretty bad also. I have a pair of aldo and spring dress shoes. Wore them to vegas, few hours later. My feet was hurting like a bitch. Sure it's cheap but you get what you pay for. If you're planning to walk around alot, you better off to wear your runners.
ImportXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
I'll be good I promise.

Thanked 1,551 Times in 329 Posts
Uhh, spring is aldo..... same shit different store.
Why don't you drop by Gravity Pope or Roden gray for some nice shoes, a little bit pricier but they're worth it for the price.

And with aldo's shoes you can always wear insoles, it helps.
Kim Jong Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Aldo has been making shoes that belong in the trash heap for the past decade. Not only are they uncomfortable, but the leather and craftmanship are terrible.

I've been buying Cole Haan shoes lately and they combine the best of both worlds - Nike technology and interesting designs.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
+1 to Cole Haan shoes. I used to think they were for old men who go for a walk in the park but until I tried a pair on, wow, they are by far some of the most comfortable.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Stupid question.. but where can I find Cole Hann shoes locally. I'm not sure about Canada but I know they have chains in USA

Their site is kinda useless.... only lists USA

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Aldo has been making shoes that belong in the trash heap for the past decade. Not only are they uncomfortable, but the leather and craftmanship are terrible.
After my second pair of ALDO shoes only lasted a year I vowed never to buy them again. Awful quality.

Pay twice the price for better shoes that will last 5-10 years.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Townshoes isn't back. I got a pair of boots from them and it feels really nice. Usually with Also dress shoes my ankle and feet starts to get sore after 40mins or so but with this boot I got I can wear for 8hours and still feel fine. Sped the extra $40 to $50 for something better. I don't think I will buy from Aldo again.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Stupid question.. but where can I find Cole Hann shoes locally. I'm not sure about Canada but I know they have chains in USA

Their site is kinda useless.... only lists USA
Like most brands (in Canada vs US), we only have limited styles to choose from. I've seen Cole Haan shoes in Browns Shoes and Freedmans.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

the selection of cole haan shoes in freedman is disappointing. they are nowhere as diverse as that down in the states.

probably not in the same price range as aldo, but ecco and geox provide comfortable, classy and dressy shoes. their price ranges are similar to cole haan (1xx-2xx)
moky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
To me, Aldo has always kinda been kind of a knock-off no-name brand. Copying styles from designers and selling them for a fraction of the price. Having said that, I have a couple pairs myself. It's a good price for what you get..

As for insoles, the only place I've found the perfect insole was at Mark's Work Warehouse. I've tried Sportchek's, Aldo's, Champs', etc. But the ones they carry at Mark's is by far the best. I guess theirs are meant for workshoes and workboots so their comfort and durability are extremely high.

So lately I've just been shoe shopping more for style.. and then just throw in insoles from Marks for comfort

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #21
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
+1 to Cole Haan shoes. I used to think they were for old men who go for a walk in the park but until I tried a pair on, wow, they are by far some of the most comfortable.
Yeah they are comfortable, thats why old men wear them to the park
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
Hyde's Understudy

Go to brown's shoes now, they have sale up to 70% off now,
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moky View Post
the selection of cole haan shoes in freedman is disappointing. they are nowhere as diverse as that down in the states.

probably not in the same price range as aldo, but ecco and geox provide comfortable, classy and dressy shoes. their price ranges are similar to cole haan (1xx-2xx)
They have a Cole Haan outlets in the Premium Outlet centres and typically, you'll get at least 30-40% off. Over the past 2 years, I've bought a pair of penny loafers, waterproof boots, and 3 pairs of kicks from Cole Haan and none were over $110 which is pretty good these days.

Geox are very decent shoes if you get can them at sale prices. I've owned several pairs throughout the years.

Brown's online store has a good selection and sometimes, you can get very good deals on quality shoes if you're willing to pay a bit more.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

another place that's actually good for colehaans is Nordstrom Rack.
moky is offline   Reply With Quote