REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,911
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
need some advice with goalie positioning.

First of all, I'm a bit confused for forwards...

If they shoot right, should they be playing on the right wing or left wing?
(and vice versa).

And as a goalie, is there certain type of shots I should expect differently
if a right (or left) shooter is coming down the right (or left) wing?

Because I think I read in an article (which I can't find anymore) about if
the shooter is on his "off-wing", his shooting options are different or more limited, etc.

So I'm just trying to understand how all this works, and as a goalie, should
I be positioning myself slightly different or anticipating where a shot would more likely be at?
Advertisement
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
.
 
jeedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,725
Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,087 Posts
A right handed shooter will most likely be playing on the left wing.

Saying from experience, I find it easier to play on the left wing rather than the right wing [I'm right handed]. Playing on the right wing is more of a challenge to score since [most of us] are raised to use our right hand. Coming from the left wing, when the shooter takes a shot, he's facing the RIGHT side. It's just more comfortable.

Like you said about limited shots, the shooters shot options are limited when he's playing on the right wing [IMO].

Also, another tip for playing goalie is, skate/walk a FEW steps forward when the shooter is coming towards you during a breakaway/shootout. Slowly walk/skate backwards as the shooter is closing in on you, don't always stay in the net/crease.

Example:


The reason for this is because it limits the shooters shot to go top shelf, gloveside etc.
__________________
Buy/Sell FeedBack: (21-0-1)
jeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,911
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
^ so to clarify, you shoot rightside, correct?
(confused sometimes, because many right handed people shoot left)
and you prefer to be on the left wing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

Like you said about limited shots, the shooters shot options are limited when he's playing on the right wing [IMO].
so when you say "playing on the right wing"... do you mean the rightside wing,
or the correct wing?

And can you explain the limitations and options for the shooter?

I'm playing ball hockey as well (not ice).
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
.
 
jeedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,725
Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
^ so to clarify, you shoot rightside, correct?
(confused sometimes, because many right handed people shoot left)
and you prefer to be on the left wing.
Yep. I prefer to be on the left wing, and I'm right handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
so when you say "playing on the right wing"... do you mean the rightside wing,
or the correct wing?
When I mean "playing on the right wing" I mean the right side wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
And can you explain the limitations and options for the shooter?
I assume you're right handed, so you have your glove on your left hand correct?

It's hard to explain. When I play on the leftside wing, it's just more comfortable/easier to shoot from the leftside wing as all there is blocking my way is your glove

However, if I was playing on the rightside wing, scoring is more challenging. The shooters option is to either score:
-Fivehole
or
- Top shelf; left corner

I actually find it a distraction with the pad blocker and goalie stick that the goalie is holding. It means theres more space taking up a side comparing it to your glove side.

If I was shooting from the leftwing side, my options are:
- Fivehole
- Top rightside shelf
- Between the glove and pad [forgot what its called lol]

Sorry for being so vague, brain is a bit slow at 5am
__________________
Buy/Sell FeedBack: (21-0-1)
jeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,827
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
if he's a LH shot, he has better shooting angles playing on the RW, as the puck will be positioned closer to the middle of the ice, giving the shooter more of a target. however, if the winger is not skilled, it will be more difficult for him to receive passes as he'll have to take them on the backhand. the other downside is passing. he better be good at backhand saucers, or everyone on the ice will know when he's looking to pass the puck. including goalies. what i'm saying is that there is more disadvantage to playing off wing if you are not a skilled player. yes you may get the angles, but if you cant receive passes on your back hand or break out on the off wing, you'll seldom get a chance to use your positioning to get a shot on goal.

so even though you're asking questions pertaining to goaltending, its good to keep that in mind. if a RH player is coming in on the RW, you have to position yourself so that your angle blocks (his) left side of the net, giving him only your glove side to shoot at. if he tries to go far side (your blocker), he'll either miss the net completely or you'll make an easy pad/blocker save. i'm RH and if im coming on on the right side, i usually try to go low far side, hoping for a big rebound off your pad for my trailing winger or centre to pick up and bury.

if you're facing a player coming in on his off wing (LH playing RW or RH playing LW), you have to be much more aware of your positioning and angle as he has essentially the entire net to shoot at. thats when you try to give him a spot to shoot at to sucker him into taking a shot as opposed to deke (give him 5 hole, and as soon as he brings the puck into shooting position, close it).

the most important thing is realizing the skill of your opponents as opposed to your personal skill and that of your teammates.

the best thing a goalie can do is watch the other team during warm ups to see who does what.
__________________
you show me a room with a hot woman in it and i'll show you a room full of guys willing to put up with her bullshit.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Vancouver, Cana
Posts: 370
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
like rickster said, the winger has more shooting options from the off-wing because the puck is closer to the centre. The player will have better angles to get the puck to the far side. In terms of a shooting position, it is much more dangerous than being on the "right" wing. When you're positioning your self for a shot, make sure you're square to the puck and not the player.
dim_sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net