REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

$199 MANFROTTO M-Y KIT 732CY W/484RC2 BASALT

http://www.henrys.ca/59014-MANFROTTO...C2-BASALT.aspx

Can anyone give an opinion on if this is a good deal or not? Saw it posted on RFD!

I'm just starting out with photography so I only have my Nikon D3000 and 18-55 VR lens. Someone on RFD mentioned that these are not stable if you have a heavy lens but I'm probably not looking to go past 200mm lens, and if anything, I am leaning towards getting shorter lenses / fish eye!

Hope someone can chime in

Thanks!
Advertisement
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
SardaukarMod

four-sectioned legs don't lend themselves to rigidity nor does its lightness help with stability, but if its lightness and its relative compactness allows you to take it with you on your photo journeys without hesitation, then by all means. having a tripod > no tripod.

then again, it's a manfrotto so i'm sure i'm splitting hairs here.

i myself have a 190x ProB with the same head. relatively good all-around combo. paid 155(tripod)+77(head) back in 2008.

that deal you have there seems all right.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
The legs are decent, but the head isn't very good, IMHO. That one knob loosens and tightens both ball and panning part of the head, so if you're trying to do a panorama, it's very difficult to get a smooth side to side pan.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
SardaukarMod

^^^

that's true. also, when you're trying to compose a tightly cropped shot with a long lens, the camera setup will probably settle down a little as you tighten the knob so you have to adjust your shot for that - ie: aim just a touch higher then tighten so that the camera will drop down into position as you tighten it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
ddr
Snapping away

that same kit is at BB/FS i think. there's a carbon and aluminum version. both are quite flimsy despite the use of carbon and the manfrotto name. quite disappointing.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I think this is the one my GF has, I found the manfrotto at future shop was VERY heavy.

Also wondering what the durability of the ball head and the tightening lever is like, I guess not for professional usage eh?
The manfrotto looks pretty sexy though but IMO skip this series if it's the same one my GF has, I find it bulky and heavy. I'll stick with my el cheapo ebay tripod for now
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
SardaukarMod

well, heaviness is a relative thing, no? depends on how he's travelling around with it. whether he's going to be strapping it onto a backpack or on a sling or having to carry it around my hand.

that ball head is only for light use though. as i had mentioned before, as you lock the head into position, it will settle down some more if you're using a heavier lens/camera combo so you have to adjust for that.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
ddr
Snapping away

ya man, i'm not sure if we're talking about the same set here. the 732CY i saw at BB/FS felt half as light as my 190XB/498RC2 combo. but again, very scary and flimsy
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Hmmm, sounds like the overall consensus is that although this setup is enough to get by, it doesn't seem to be a killer deal or anything close to that. I guess I'll just wait for something better to come along

If nothing comes along, I'm thinking of picking up a Benro TRAB269, as per J____'s review, combined with a 498 head!

Thanks for your input guys!
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote