REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   What REALLY Happens When Drop Your Car off at the Shop? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/634194-what-really-happens-when-drop-your-car-off-shop.html)

donjalapeno 01-03-2011 07:52 PM

What REALLY Happens When Drop Your Car off at the Shop?

A Subaru owner decided to setup some hidden cameras on his car when he dropped his Legacy GT off for service, and in the process, captured a full-bore joyride

http://www.spike.com/video/what-really-happens/3118125
hope its not a repost.

Volvo-brickster 01-03-2011 08:05 PM

meh doesnt surprise me

im sure every car valet, car detailer, lot boy, salesman, mechanic has rat bagged every car they touch

hell even before the dealership took possession of the car someone on the factory lot probably rat bagged it before putting on the truck for delivery

TRD Rs200 01-03-2011 09:39 PM

this is why I never drop my car off at shops

donjalapeno 01-03-2011 09:46 PM

i brought my moms car at brian jessel bmw the other day and even tho its just a X3, i went to the back and kinda spied on what they were doing. Turns out the asian mechanic was taking good care of it :)

Volvo-brickster 01-03-2011 09:53 PM

ive had to drop off my car at the dealership a few times

they had fun in my car judging by the rubber left on the back wheel wells/ fenders

bastards

noventa 01-03-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soltaaa (Post 7250176)
i brought my moms car at brian jessel bmw the other day and even tho its just a X3, i went to the back and kinda spied on what they were doing. Turns out the asian mechanic was taking good care of it :)

haha. that is hilarious. Were you peeping over the garbage bins or around the garage door?

donjalapeno 01-03-2011 10:37 PM

lol i went passed the security fence and just looked through the garage, they usually close the garage door but it was open this time, why do you work there?

Spooling 01-03-2011 10:45 PM

i seen a lot of times shop owners drive customer cars to buy lunch or run errands
:)

RiceIntegraRS 01-03-2011 10:57 PM

So how do mechanics and shop owners know what to fix or when there done if they fixed the problem to begin with if they dont go test drive the car? Theses little rides are kinda necessary. I know id be pissed if i had to take more time out of my day to get my car fixed again cause they couldnt take the time to check everything thoughrully. And the wash boys/car detailers are told to check and report if theres any dash lights, or any problems with the car if they are pulling it around the corner or taking it somewhere

lexluthor09 01-03-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 7250272)
So how do mechanics and shop owners know what to fix or when there done if they fixed the problem to begin with if they dont go test drive the car? Theses little rides are kinda necessary. I know id be pissed if i had to take more time out of my day to get my car fixed again cause they couldnt take the time to check everything thoughrully. And the wash boys/car detailers are told to check and report if theres any dash lights, or any problems with the car if they are pulling it around the corner or taking it somewhere

depends. if the problem happens at high rpm/high speeds sure its warranted.
but if its something like an evap leak why does anyone need to be ripping the shit outta the car?

boatcaptain 01-03-2011 11:36 PM

lol i rmb,i drop my mini off to dealership,it had full tank of gas,end of the day,it was half a tank

MindBomber 01-03-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatcaptain (Post 7250305)
lol i rmb,i drop my mini off to dealership,it had full tank of gas,end of the day,it was half a tank

I always set the trip button on my car to zero when I drop it off at a shop, then change to straight odometer so the employees won't realize I'm tracking the mileage.

underscore 01-04-2011 12:09 AM

I know a bodyshop here in Kelowna put enough k's on a customers car to have gone to Seattle and back... I know that she caught it but idk what happened as far as the shop compensating her

cho 01-04-2011 12:31 AM

i wonder if the owner did to the shop/guys that took it for a spin

Gumby 01-04-2011 11:39 AM

Depends on the car you're dropping off... I have a Honda Pilot - no point in going for a joyride in that thing, is there?

!Yaminashi 01-04-2011 11:42 AM

I always take note of my mileage when I drop my car off. Its always either the same or 1 km more than when I dropped it off

dachinesedude 01-04-2011 12:03 PM

i've been a lot boy before, and yea don't think your cars haven't been ripped before even when there was under 10kms on it when u bought it

lot boys rip the shit outta new, used cars, and prob customer cars too...mechanics, salesman, sales MANAGERS, and service washers all do it

fact, if u dont want your car being abused, fix it yourself

DC5-S 01-04-2011 12:08 PM

all the service on my car is done in my garage.

civic_rice 01-04-2011 01:08 PM

at the same time i work at a shop and the mechanics have better things to do then "joyride" in customer cars....our guys are flat rate and make would rather finish the job and get a new one then beat on cars for fun...plus its not like any cars you see at a dealership are special....a mustang gt? no big deal...lot guys on the otherhand...well there is a reason we only let them move them from the front to the service yard and not go down the streets

quasi 01-04-2011 01:14 PM

LOL, back in the mid/late 90's I had a 5.0l mustang like every other white kid. Mechanic drops me off at my College with my car and when I walk around the corner he lights up my tires and I walk back around the corner only to see him fishtailing all down the road. Does not surprise me the least.

JSALES 01-04-2011 01:49 PM

not gonna lie, i've driven some of the brand new ford cars hard like the mustang, flex, focus, fusion and explorer off the dealership lot

toyota86 01-04-2011 02:16 PM

don't let any valet drive your car. one of the guys i used to work with was a valet in down town a few years back. he didn't know how to drive stick but the company hired him thinking he does. he learned how to drive stick on the job in someone's brand new 911. he had a lot of practice after that with many of other people's nice cars as well.

chris walter 01-04-2011 03:16 PM

I've been the assistant lot manager at a dealership for 6 years now. The only cars I bag on are trade ins we are not keeping. If I see anybody being a idiot I give them shit. I would be more worried about the other customers test-driving it first. Or when they are in the shipping yards they rip around in the cars when they are cold coming off the ship.

As for the BMW not being test driven first. They can put the key in this little donut shaped thing and it can tell them a lot that's wrong with the car
Posted via RS Mobile

rJZx 01-04-2011 03:17 PM

I had my windshield replaced a few months ago and i knew the owner. I was eating 2 blocks away from the shop and I saw my car being pushed a bit... I wasn't that mad cause I knew the guy but there was no need for him to use to car to replace the windshield.

PJ 01-04-2011 03:38 PM

Can't say I'm surprised...