REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Need help, getting my first watch

I have narrow down to Cartier watches such as the, Cartier Santos 100 Steel Automatic XL , or Cartier Tank Francaise Steel Mens Watch. My budget is roughly $5000. I am hoping to wear this as long as I can. I've been saving for a long time...

So there are few questions, where do you guys buy your expensive watches and the kind of deals I should expect?
Also what other brand would have similiar quality & style?
Would it be cheaper to buy from states after paying for duty/taxes ?

Thanks so much
Advertisement
Pumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
I'm not a big fan of leather because if you need to get it replaced, you do need to pay a good 300 dollars. I like metal because it will and does last a long time, it might skratch up a bit but it will be years yet leather bands does have wear and tear a bit more easily.

I am not sure how old you are, late 20- early 30s would be ideal for cartier but if you'r any younger, i wouldn't get this watch yet and it's also dependent on what industry you're in.

buying from states is ok, if you get a great deal, i am not going to tell you to sneak it in because the consequence are really huge. Just be honest and pay duties and it'll be cheaper than paying 12% tax and buying it in Canada.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

I guess u are right, but the leather do look nicer. I am 27 so I am looking for something more mature but not old fashion. I am in the service industry.
Yah I've hear about the deals, I will pay for tax & duty cuz I do want to travel with it.
But I have no idea where to get the deals from? I fear the websites are not authentic or maybe damage during shipping etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
I would definitely consider buying in the states if you can, and declaring it on your way back.

I bought a Rolex from a family friend, so I couldn't go back to a certain store to Service/Change Wrist Size. I called up a couple stores and asked also Revscene for some stores recommendations. I ended up going to Monte Cristo in Oakridge, got my wrist length changed for free and professionally done.

Highly Recommend you going to Oakrdige Monte Cristo if you decide to buy a watch more locally. Their staff is really knowledgeable and they also have a good variety of watches there last time I went.

Also, brandwise, I would recommend Rolex, and the style would really depend on the line of work you do. Can you elaborate a bit more on what you do in this "service" industry?

Cadillac CTS (Current)

Last edited by hchang; 01-05-2011 at 01:24 PM.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

$5000 for a Rolex would net you a Rolex Explorer II (give or take a few hundred) probably.
If you head down to the states, Fox's Gem Shop in DT Seattle has a great selection. If you head further south, Tourneau is the place to go to.

Locally I bought from Palladio. Great after-sales service as well.

You should also be aware that once you buy these kinds of watches, you need to get them "cleaned" or serviced every couple of years to avoid the complications in the watch to deteriorate. These "cleaning services" normally cost a few hundred as well. Rolex routine cleaning can range from 2xx to 4xx based on experience. Same for Omega and Panerai.
moky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Depends on the style you're looking for.. Looks are all based on personal preference.

As for bands, I have both leather and metal bands.. As mentioned above, leather will wear out exponentially faster than metal.. Although I've gotten way more compliments on my leather band than my metal on my Omega.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #7

And you have to test fit the watches too! What looks good in print, might not entirely look good on you or your wrist
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
^True that. There was this watch that looked so sexy online. All the measurements seemed like what I wanted.. On impulse.. I bought it. It arrived.. Super nice watch.. but doesn't look right on me at all. The watch was much too beefy for my bony wrists.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #9

yes, I have test fit the above two watch I mention, they fit great.

I thought cleaning is free? if I return to Cartier, maybe not then lol.

So I will go check out Palladio & Oakrdige Monte Cristo then. Do you guys know what kind of discount usually are for watches?

thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #10

exterior cleaning MIGHT be free if they're just smudges here or there. if they are scratches in the bezel etc, that's not removable.

i meant interior cleaning, cleaning of the jewels, machinery inside etc.
you can ask if it is included, but before the warranty is over (depends on the watch, sometimes 2 years, sometimes 3 or 4) do have it checked up if there are any "repairs" or "services" that need be performed.

occasionally as well, your watch might become "demagnetized". this is caused by computers, scanners, other magnets like TVs or airport xrays, and can make your watch slower or faster. re-magnetizing your watch should be free
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

Between the two cartiers, i love the santos a lot more. When i'm older ill hopefully be picking up one for myself as well
filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

5000 gives you plenty of options! Are you sure the Cartier is what you really want?

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
Hyde's Understudy

Montecristo is really good. My sales guy gave mr a discount and was very helpful and not snobby and I wasn't afraid to make him an offer. Sum
Watches have more discount than others. I don't know about Cartier but they will only budge on price if you were to make a decision right away if the price is right.
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #14

Thanks Moky, I be sure to ask those questions.

I'm open to other brand, but so far there only Rolex Explorer been mention besides Cartier, personally, I dont like how it looks.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Hyde's Understudy

^ get a Rolex, you won't regret it, the style will last a lifetime. Get the original submariner 16610, with discount you can get it to bout 6200 taxes in. But if you are firm on 5000, go talk to a rep at montecristo and tell them to show you all watches that fit in your budget.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #16

it would also depend on the clothes you tend to wear. a cartier santos might be limited to smart casual, business casual, or dressed-up events. it would be hard to match it with very casual clothes like a plain shirt, jeans and sneakers.

a round watch might help in that direction. take for example the pasha seatimer. they offer it in a man's size, i believe 42.5mm in diameter, and can come in rubberized leather or steel. it can adapt to different occasions from casual to business to MAYBE formal.

a rolex submariner is a great and classic choice! lol james bond wore it in the sean connery days!

also depends on what size you are looking for and what can fit you. some guys can't wear more than 40mm (which is typical Rolex sizing), some guys can wear 44-46mm (panerai, omega, jaeger, breitling hublot, ap), some guys can wear up to 48 (corum). these are other brands WHO MIGHT offer something in your range.

the corum admiral's cup, around 46mm iirc was being sold at birks around 5xxx + taxes last i checked. granted, it's not your typical elegant lux watch, but it is very unique and can be much more valuable some day.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I would suggest getting a panerai
Gambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
I'm going to be really bias and say no to rolex. Yes, it is a time piece, yes it's a nice brand and yes it's worth it. However, there are some bias judgment on it's been 'worn' to death. You know how people used to wear TR, R&R jeans, north face puff jackets..etc. It's really nice, but after a while everyone seems to be rocking them and it lost it's 'uniqueness'.

There's one thing I've noticed on the lower end model: Rolex used to be very classic and holds it's resell value, but within these 10 years, there are a lot of custom designs available eg// case, dial, bezel, luminous marker, numbers, lug... etc. There are so many custom user defined customization making it really hard to resell.

I was going to say the same for Panerai but it's usually more common in Asia where everyone is wearing them; especially girls.

just my 2 cents.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I'm going to be really bias and say no to rolex. Yes, it is a time piece, yes it's a nice brand and yes it's worth it. However, there are some bias judgment on it's been 'worn' to death. You know how people used to wear TR, R&R jeans, north face puff jackets..etc. It's really nice, but after a while everyone seems to be rocking them and it lost it's 'uniqueness'.

There's one thing I've noticed on the lower end model: Rolex used to be very classic and holds it's resell value, but within these 10 years, there are a lot of custom designs available eg// case, dial, bezel, luminous marker, numbers, lug... etc. There are so many custom user defined customization making it really hard to resell.

I was going to say the same for Panerai but it's usually more common in Asia where everyone is wearing them; especially girls.

just my 2 cents.
Dude, any watch can be customized, with Rolex you can't customize from factory! They are pre-made with different materials (platinum, steel, gold) different colored bezels for each model number. For example 16610 is a date sub, 116610 is a ceramic new sub. You can't pick and mix and match what you want, unless you go aftermarket jewellers. Each specific model number is a specific model, so if sumone is looking for a used 16610, there is only 1 style that watch comes in. If it came in a different color it would be 16610LV for example for green. Any watch can be customized at jewellers if u like.

You can't compare it to played out brands like TR, RR, and ed Hardy . Reason is Rolex although is very popular, it has NEVER gone out of style since its existence.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #20
Hyde's Understudy

Don't bother with Panerais if its in the 5k range! If u could stretch ur budget anoter 1-2 K, then the panerais are way nicer.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post

just my 2 cents.
a rolex is still a very classic watch, some models are just more modern but they still retain the core "values", if you will, of what a rolex should be. the more updated models are geared towards the younger crowds who want the value of the rolex, but not the "i'm old and established" look. it's not been worn to death like TR, R&R because it simply is not in the same class. you buy a rolex for the heritage, craftsmanship, quality and accuracy. i dont think you can very well say the same for a TR or RR because these two brands are trends.

a panerai is a different story in its own. im guessing you don't know europe likes panerai too.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Time & Gold has a lot of nice watches.
They still have the same owner, despite what someone said on here about them selling out to someone.
I would try on a bunch of different watches to see what you like. It's a matter of finding a timeless watch.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'm gonna throw it out there and suggest a Grand Seiko. If you're serious, maybe you can arrange something with the Seiko boutique in Toronto to ship out the watch.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
stretch your budget and go for a panerai if possible.

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-07-2012 at 08:39 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Locally have dealt with palladio for a panerai who were great it's pretty close to the cartier store I believe haha. But really rarely buy watches locally as friends go back and forth to hong kong all the time. Tax really kills it, only problem is some watches in HK will sell higher than the MSRP in Vancouver based on hype.

I find the santos has a thick bezel which may be prone to knicks?
Are you getting it as an everyday watch?
Have you taken a look at the franck muller watches? some are in your price range
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote