REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Tiled Backsplash (kitchen)

Is it possible to remove one row of a tiled backsplash?

Our current backsplash has 4 rows... 3 are white which are fine... the middle row has this tacky fruit picture on it. Can i remove the 3rd row and replace it with something else?? or does the whole thing need to come down ?????
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
maybe you should try calling a tile company and ask them
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
im sure if you had the matching tile you would cut the grout around it, slip a putty knife or somthing under it and pop it off and toss another one in there

only problem is if the new tile is an off-shade, brighter, etc.

also risks of damaging surrounding tiles etc. in the process and next thing you know your replacing 10 of them
Old 01-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Like Hondaracer mentioned, it can be done but you need to be careful. It happens, tiles get damaged and you gotta pop the old one off to replace with a new one. The other thing is the colour of the grout might not match what you have existing as well.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

if your going thru all the trouble to remove the middle row, why not just remove the entire backsplash? I think it would be easier to redo the whole thing than to pick off each tile piece individually and carefully.

maybe you should do a glass backsplash?
http://billbarr.files.wordpress.com/...acksplash1.jpg
http://www.konstel.net/Glass%20DK&B.JPG
probbaly easier to install,easier to maintain, looks slick
Old 01-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
You have a couple options, but overall it's not to difficult to do and very routine. You'll need to use one of two power tools and a grout remover.

1. Using a grout remover, which is just a small metal saw you can get at any tile or DIY store, scrape the grout out from the gaps in between the tiles your removing and the tiles your keeping. This could be done with one of the power tools, but since your not experienced its best to go the safe route.

2. Next use either a dremel or an oscillating tool to cut into the tiles, this will be messy with lots of dust and potentially sparks so keep the tiles a bit wet and wear safety glasses. In my experience the smaller the pieces you cut the tile into the less likely you will have any wall damage, I would cut a 4''x4'' wall tile into four pieces.

3. Now, slip either a flat head screw driver or a putting knife in behind the tile and slowly lift it off. It will be easier to use the screw driver to start it since it's rigid, but it will also be easier to damage the wall using a screw driver.

4. Once you have the first tile off it'll all be easy, because you'll be able to slide a blade under the side of the tile you've exposed by removing the first one. At this point having the oscillating tool would be a tremendous advantage, because you'll be able to cut behind the tile without damaging the wall using it. Oscillating tools are on sale at Canadian tire for $50 right now.

5. It will be difficult to get the grout to match, so consider removing all the grout, don't worry thats a lot easier than it sounds. If you don't want to remove all the grout, buy a couple colours and experiment with blending them until you get a matching colour.

6. If your having a massive amount of difficulty removing the tile or you damage the drywall behind the tile badly thats not an issue either. Using a hook knife cut the section of drywall out, remove it and replace it with a new piece using a few drywall screws and a piece of scrap drywall. The fit won't be perfect, but thats not an issue, you can just fill the small gap with a bit of mastic.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-11-2011 at 02:18 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
maybe you should try calling a tile company and ask them
This is the DIY home renovation section, thats an appropriate venue to ask how to remove tile, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
if your going thru all the trouble to remove the middle row, why not just remove the entire backsplash? I think it would be easier to redo the whole thing than to pick off each tile piece individually and carefully.

maybe you should do a glass backsplash?
http://billbarr.files.wordpress.com/...acksplash1.jpg
http://www.konstel.net/Glass%20DK&B.JPG
probbaly easier to install,easier to maintain, looks slick
Removing the entire back splash would be much more difficult than only removing one tile, because in that scenario they would need to remove the drywall also. Glass tile is very nice looking, but it's not nearly as easy to lay as a plain ceramic or porcelain tile.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote