REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
landscape question

I'm looking to buy grass in rolls or sections to place in a lawn, I've been to Home Depot, Rona and all they have are seeds, any recommendations?

Thanks,
Advertisement
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
This is a bad time to do that. Make sure you get the correct the type of grass for your yard as well. Depending on drainage and how much shade or sun the grass is going to get.

You could try an actual landscaping company and see if they are doing any orders and you could pay them to order a bit more. Great Canadian Landscaping Company or English Lawns would be my first 2 recommendations.

Will you be installing it yourself? How many square feet?

Berz out.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

When I was younger and asked about buying grass the store laughed at me. It's called sod when it's rolled up . You have to buy them from sod farmers cause HD and Rona don't sell them.

Here's a quick search I did on yellowpages.ca http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/...C/hds-01220800
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
dmm
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

The Rona at Edmonds/Kingsway carried sod before, but usually only during the spring/summer season, but may not be that fresh. You want to lay it down ASAP. Not sure if they are still planning to it anymore.
dmm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Around 150sq/ft, so I'm hoping to just do it myself. I guess I'll wait until spring!

Thanks for info guys.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
When you do it make sure you get some turf soil from your local dirt place. Place it on top of the area your going to sod. Then rake it smooth. When you buy the sod it will come with fert be sure to spread that evenly. Don't walk on the freshly raked topsoil as footprints will show up later in the lawn as depressions. Lay the perimeter first and then work your way across. If your yard is soft (due to weather) its often good to use a 2x6 to stand on... Work your way from the edge across and stand on the plank to keep the grass flat and prevent foot prints. Lay a roll and when you unroll it be sure to roll the end over until it "crunches" this forces the lawn to stay flat.

Berz out.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
if you have soil down already just spread sand out to get the level right

150sq ft might be about a pallete and a half of sod rolls, once it's all spread out most landscapers will spread sand over the sod as well to completely level/solidify the ground

just get like a load of sand in a wheel barrow, get a shovel full and throw it in a sweeping motion so it spreads over a big area
Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

150sqft is probably 17 rolls as i think each roll covers approx 9sqft. Each roll will probably cost around $2-2.50. Delivery is pretty pricey tho. If u have access to a truck its cheaper to grab it yourself at the sod farm.
Posted via RS Mobile
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
i'd probably wait till spring to do it

when you buy the rolls make sure they are a nice green and healthy looking/thick

it's fairly common to get diseased rolls or dieing rolls that may look alright, but will never grow properly once laid down
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I so rarely see quality responses in this section.

Nurseries, DIY stores and land scape supply companies all carry sod, but because it dies very quickly once it has been harvested it's not held in stock. You'll need to order the sod from a store and they'll give you the date that everyone's orders are delivered to come pick it up. I'm fairly certain that no one is harvesting sod at this time of year though, so you might need to wait a few months till spring arrives.

Call a landscaping supply house and ask when sod will be available.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote