REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #51
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
why would u redesign it when you consider it a "timeless classic,"?
Because I have a designed lined up for it, a design that is a better timeless classic.
A secret design.
Advertisement
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #52
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Subaru doesn't discount much in Canada, if OP's friend is price sensitive on interest rate, Subaru won't make the list.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1838971/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned Subaru yet, but you could get a base model Impreza for 20k or a Legacy for 23k. Those are both great options in my opinion.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #53
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
Because I have a designed lined up for it, a design that is a better timeless classic.
A secret design.
Ayrton Senna will be spinning in his grave when that starts.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #54
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Why not finance a better looking used car? Like an NSX
i read the OP's post and when i saw this post i immediately thought of this

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

I dont even know why Im trying to help here, Im going against nature, like changing history by going back in time and having a date with op's friends mother and planting my own seed.
Dont you fools realize that a car can change your life? The friends that you attain, the girl that you attract and marry, or your out come in life by your occupation.
Its the plain truth we live in, this faux, materialistic society.
So Im just going to sit back and let Darwin's theory take its course.
Go into debt, compete with each other, envy each other, and sell your family for money and image.
Oh and buy that depreciating ugly car, government will always need working robots to push boxes around for peanuts to pay off their box on wheels.

rant\
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #56
Banned (ABWS)

2010 => AsNoobAsItGets
2011 => Arash

?????????????????

orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #57
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
I'm getting bored of failing arash time and time again...
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #58
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash
Blah blah blah, self-righteousness, blah blah blah
There's a fine line between optimism and delusion. You're WAY into the latter. You realize that your car does NOT dictate your life. You sound like the car controls you. Your statement about going into debt and "selling out your family for money" contradicts itself. Stop trying to be so self-righteous and get your head out of your ass.

With that out of the way, how's your friend's car hunt OP?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)

I like to speak from my gut when Im in rant mode, boycott dull cars!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #60
VLS Head Mod

arash how about you shut up since you can't seem to contribute anything worthwhile. There's been numerous posts saying your recommendation isn't realistic so how about you stop posting idiotic comments
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #61
Banned (ABWS)

That would have made a nice fail adding to your 3 but appeantly your immumed.
Do you have something against the NSX? or buying a used cool car and saving money, not buying into the boogieman, repair maintenance scares.

Last edited by Arash; 01-10-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added, cool
Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #62
"Entertainment" mod.

The NSX is unrealistic, expensive to maintain, and impractical car for general use. You can't get the groceries, company carpool, or carry large demos if a person makes models for their line of work. The only redeeming quality is the image it carries (which you seem to care so much about), yet who gives a fuck if your coworkers don't know what you drive (or think you're bonkers for driving such a car to work as a mid-level employee).

That "saved money" can go into a better car down the line, or better yet, a bigger house.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #63
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #64
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
dont just drive, cruze ~~~
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #65
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Has he considered the honda fit?
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #66
Need to Seek Professional Help

Does it HAVE to be a brand new car? I personally would recommend an older, used car that's fuel efficient especially if he's going to be travelling that far every day.
Not only will you save from just the price of the car, but depending on the vehicle itself and how much your friend really cares about it, that rock chip might not be so big of a deal, as compared to say a brand new car and first thing you come across on the highway on the commute is a nice fat rock chip
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #67
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
I dont even know why Im trying to help here, Im going against nature, like changing history by going back in time and having a date with op's friends mother and planting my own seed.
Dont you fools realize that a car can change your life? The friends that you attain, the girl that you attract and marry, or your out come in life by your occupation.
Its the plain truth we live in, this faux, materialistic society.
So Im just going to sit back and let Darwin's theory take its course.
Go into debt, compete with each other, envy each other, and sell your family for money and image.
Oh and buy that depreciating ugly car, government will always need working robots to push boxes around for peanuts to pay off their box on wheels.

rant\
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #68
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseX View Post
Does it HAVE to be a brand new car? I personally would recommend an older, used car that's fuel efficient especially if he's going to be travelling that far every day.
Not only will you save from just the price of the car, but depending on the vehicle itself and how much your friend really cares about it, that rock chip might not be so big of a deal, as compared to say a brand new car and first thing you come across on the highway on the commute is a nice fat rock chip
The nice thing about a new car is that you can finance one and that you have 3+ years of warranty. Unless the OP's friend has a line of credit, it's hard to put down 15-20K in cash for a car. It sounds like the OP's friend is not mechanically inclined either, so any used car will require some work which means more money upfront.

If the OP's friend is planning to keep the car a while (5+ years), I would opt for a standard transmission. Less potential headaches and typically more fun.

However, if I were in the OP's friend's situation, I would definitely go used - preferably something mid-90s and Japanese. Toyotas of this era are truly bullet-proof (family's owned 2 Camrys from this period) and even Hondas are okay as long as they're rust free and you can deal with squeaks and rattles (from my experience owning 2 Integras). Hondas and Toyotas from this period are dirt cheap and require next to no maintenance other than fluid changes and wear-and-tear items.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #69
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Thanks everyone for your response/suggestions.
I'm going to go with my roommate to the automall tomorrow morning before work to test drive a few cars with him.
He said he will decide on something before the weekend, as he has friday thru sunday off and he wants to get this purchase done/over with.

He does want to go new, for the exact reason mentioned above, the ease of fiancing/low interest.

We are probably gonna go look at (possibly test drive if he likes to looks of) the following:
VW Golf TDI
VW Golf 2.5
Hyundai Elantra
Kia Forte5 SX
Mazda 3
Chevy Cruze
Ford Fiesta

and maybe the Impreza and/or lancer if time permits.
He personally likes the Golf, but likes the added feature/spec for similar price found in the Kia, Hyundai etc. One of his main concern as I mentioned before is Highway noise, and long term reliability, he is/will be driving from richmond to langley 5 days a week, and from BC to Saskatchewan possibly once a year. (Dont ask me why he doesnt choose to fly, its probably cheaper/easier).

Nehow, thanks again for all the help! I will let you guys know how the test driving goes tomorrow, and what he decides on.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #70
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The nice thing about a new car is that you can finance one and that you have 3+ years of warranty. Unless the OP's friend has a line of credit, it's hard to put down 15-20K in cash for a car. It sounds like the OP's friend is not mechanically inclined either, so any used car will require some work which means more money upfront.

If the OP's friend is planning to keep the car a while (5+ years), I would opt for a standard transmission. Less potential headaches and typically more fun.

However, if I were in the OP's friend's situation, I would definitely go used - preferably something mid-90s and Japanese. Toyotas of this era are truly bullet-proof (family's owned 2 Camrys from this period) and even Hondas are okay as long as they're rust free and you can deal with squeaks and rattles (from my experience owning 2 Integras). Hondas and Toyotas from this period are dirt cheap and require next to no maintenance other than fluid changes and wear-and-tear items.

What I had in mind when I mentioned used cars was like, around the year 2000 and under because generally I find that if you do a fair amount of research, you can find one thats no more than say, 5000? and will run like a charm either with or without a little maintance.

and +1 on standard transmission
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #71
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737! View Post
one car from the brand does not mean that all the cars from that brand sucks.
"oh i had such a bad experience from the audi a4, the r8 must be a bad car too"

Ok, fine. Friend with a 98 Jetta. Hated it because of high maintenance. Another friend with a 2001 A6, the car is falling apart at a bit over 100k. He has done all regular maintenance. Another friend, this time with a 04 Phaeton. He loves the car, but he says it's a 'nightmare' (his words) in terms of maintenance. Very expensive, very frequent. Think transmission replacement @ 10k kms. Let's see, cousin used to drive a 2006 VW Gol (not Golf, Gol). Had a plethora of problems, switched for a Fiat.

Heck, I toyed with the idea of getting an RS6. I read through the owner forums, and everyone said the same thing (be prepared for high maintenance costs). OP is asking about a reliable car to be used as a daily driver. I'm sorry, VWs don't fit the bill on the 'reliable' part.

Edit: Has he considered a Ford Fusion? I've heard very very good opinions of that car.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #72
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
He personally likes the Golf, but likes the added feature/spec for similar price found in the Kia, Hyundai etc. One of his main concern as I mentioned before is Highway noise, and long term reliability, he is/will be driving from richmond to langley 5 days a week, and from BC to Saskatchewan possibly once a year. (Dont ask me why he doesnt choose to fly, its probably cheaper/easier).
This sounds exactly like a guy I work with... Wonder if it's him? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Ok, fine. Friend with a 98 Jetta. Hated it because of high maintenance. Another friend with a 2001 A6, the car is falling apart at a bit over 100k. He has done all regular maintenance. Another friend, this time with a 04 Phaeton. He loves the car, but he says it's a 'nightmare' (his words) in terms of maintenance. Very expensive, very frequent. Think transmission replacement @ 10k kms. Let's see, cousin used to drive a 2006 VW Gol (not Golf, Gol). Had a plethora of problems, switched for a Fiat.

Heck, I toyed with the idea of getting an RS6. I read through the owner forums, and everyone said the same thing (be prepared for high maintenance costs). OP is asking about a reliable car to be used as a daily driver. I'm sorry, VWs don't fit the bill on the 'reliable' part.

Edit: Has he considered a Ford Fusion? I've heard very very good opinions of that car.
To be fair, I've had 6 different Volkswagens. Although they tended to be older models (MK1/2 Jetta's, a B3 Passat and a Super Beetle), they were all reliable. Well, not the Passat but those were notorious for electrical issues.

I would also suggest checking out the Fusion. It was very high on my list of potential cars when I was looking, and only got edged out by an older car because I got a better deal.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #73
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
2011 VW Jetta.

Safe
Reliable
Good Warranty
Good Fuel Economy
German Engineering

maybe he can even get a amazing deal on the MK5 2010 Jettas, most dealerships have alot of them.
i wouldnt if i were you

the new jettas start at 16k for a reason

the base model has rear drum brakes and a very crappy rear suspension

the interior plastics are very cheap (even for a car that is supposed to compete with the corolla and civic) and the engine is from a 93 jetta

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

i personally like the new fiestas
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #74
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonpoon88 View Post
i wouldnt if i were you

the new jettas start at 16k for a reason

the base model has rear drum brakes and a very crappy rear suspension

the interior plastics are very cheap (even for a car that is supposed to compete with the corolla and civic) and the engine is from a 93 jetta

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

i personally like the new fiestas
That 2.0 8v is virtually bulletproof. Yes, it's underpowered, but you can easily put half a million miles on that thing.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #75
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
So I went with him on a few drives today, it was a bit rushed as be both had to work in the afternoon today. But he will be going back to the dealerships in the next few days to look.

Its down to
Golf Cityline 2.5 Auto
Golf TDi Cityline 2.5 Auto
And maybe
Kia Forte5 SX Auto

The Forte5 and the none tdi golf is the same price, but Forte will probably have more flexibility on price + lower maintenance cost. Hard to say right now because we ran out of time and didn't get to spend a lot of time at Kia.

A few question I hope the revscene members here can answer.

1. The Tdi we looked at had 240km on it, its their last one of the lot, 2011 model, had sunrooof + rear side airbag for a sticker of 29xxx, and the Non-tdi one had 150km on it with sunroof, rear side air bag and the "entertainment pkg", stickered at 28xxx. For both of these "floor models", what kind of price flexibility can we expect? $2000? $3000?

2.TDi or Gas? Financing cost (including the higher finance rate for the TDi) works out to the TDi being $30ish more per month. For a guy that drives from richmond to langley 5 times a week, will the gas savings be worth it? How's the reliability of the TDi?

3. What kind of price flexibility can we expect on the Kia? The model we test drove was 25xxx. $3000 wiggle room? More? Less?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote