REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - What About Zero Drugs?

One of the conditions attached to the driver's license of any new driver in British Columbia's Graduated Licensing Program (GLP) is that the driver must have zero blood alcohol when they are operating a motor vehicle. Of course, the idea behind this is that the driver has enough to worry about while driving the vehicle without adding alcohol to the mix. So, what about drug use?

This question came to my mind one afternoon while I was observing a lineup of vehicles stopped for the flag person at a construction zone. I found a lone male GLP "N" driver who wasn't wearing his seatbelt and pulled him out of the line when it moved on. As soon as I walked up to the driver's door I could smell the marihuana smoke inside, and since the windows were down and he was alone, I knew who had been smoking.

His green bordered license with the zero alcohol condition printed on the back had me thinking about other reality changing drugs. Shouldn't a new driver have a zero tolerance condition for those as well? He spoke to me candidly about smoking a joint while waiting for the construction and I made careful notes and a no charge drug seizure.

Before the end of my shift I contacted the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles. No, we're not interested was the response. The Superintendent would only take action if the driver was issued a 24 hour suspension or was charged criminally for impaired driving by a drug other than alcohol.

The situation is the same today. A new driver cannot drink and drive, but it's OK to toke up and drive as long as you don't do enough to be suspended or charged. I repeat, what about zero drugs?

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I agree, that ALL drivers should be drug free.

However, there's the problem with PROVING it....The whole "what kind of drug taken when with what effects for how long with what symptoms and was it tested by urine and blood and where".

Too bad testing for drugs are different than alcohol.

Can't test for THC and then traces of cocain at the same time on the roadside, whereas alcohol's pretty universal.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
So I take it you seized his weed and let him go?

What are the consequences of driving high? I thought you get your car towed as if it were booze?
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Maybe allow police to extract blood, urine, and stool samples?
Also make it illegal to be drugged up for anybody.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
So I take it you seized his weed and let him go?

What are the consequences of driving high? I thought you get your car towed as if it were booze?
Posted via RS Mobile
i had gotten a 24/hr just for HAVING weed in the car...

so if buddy man let him go then wow, hes one lenient cop
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Well drugs is a funny topic because there are plenty of prescription drugs that can cause way more adverse effects than smoking pot. As a N driver any kind of impairment should be taken into consideration.

Berz out.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
CCC s.258 ensures that this method will never be a viable method for test, and rightfully so.

The day a police officer, an untrained medical expert, conducts an invasive search on an individual merely on the SUSPICION of impairment, will be a day I hope I never live to see.

That said, I believe they implemented the "DRE" program in Canada a while back, with the power to demand saliva, blood or urine samples. There is a rather extensive regiment that must adhered to before getting to this stage, and certain officers are trained extensively to specifically look from drug impairment.

Last edited by Bainne; 01-10-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
When I get high, I get high on speed!
Top-fuel funny car's a drug for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Usually to get a 24-hour prohibition for impairment by drugs there has to be symptoms of impairment. Some officers will bend this rule and issue 24-hour suspension's without many symptoms. It would be nice to have some type of ASD for drugs but until that technology arrives in the hands of officers, things will stay the way they are.

Weed, like alcohol, shouldnt be consumed before driving, no matter how much or how little
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Well drugs is a funny topic because there are plenty of prescription drugs that can cause way more adverse effects than smoking pot. As a N driver any kind of impairment should be taken into consideration.

Berz out.
Agreed! I have several co workers who regularly drive under the influence of narcotic pain killers (such as T3s and Vicodin) and seem to think that because these are prescribed by a doctor they won't impair the cognition and reflexes at all.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #11

^ Says on the package for T3'd, Vicodin or any other prescription painkillers/anti-depressants NOT to operate vehicles or heavy machinery while using.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
I don't get it

yo thats awsome, last summer 80% of the time i drove i was high. and honestly when ur high ur more relaxed driving so u know what ur doing. plus u drive alot better. its not like u keep lots of weed on u. One cop told me that he couldnt do anything about me when i was high. even tho u are , he has no proof of it.

Rather be driving high , then driving drunk any day!

EDIT: i love the part where it says "But its OK to toke up"

Time goes by puffing on lye, hopin that it gets me high!
da-suu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
I remember asking a similar question to Zulutango a little while back... and if I remember correctly I was told that officers are trained to look at the movement of eyes, and if they suspect drugs are a factor, they can call in a drug "expert"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
With a urine sample it'll only tell the police officer that you've smoked pot sometime within the past 30 days, it won't tell you exactly when you used the drug, or if you're under the influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da-suu View Post
yo thats awsome, last summer 80% of the time i drove i was high. and honestly when ur high ur more relaxed driving so u know what ur doing. plus u drive alot better. its not like u keep lots of weed on u. One cop told me that he couldnt do anything about me when i was high. even tho u are , he has no proof of it.

You're retarded.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
^ Says on the package for T3'd, Vicodin or any other prescription painkillers/anti-depressants NOT to operate vehicles or heavy machinery while using.
I know but people seem to think 'if this is helping me I should be fine'. I was on some meds for a while that magnified the effects of alcohol so I could be at blood alcohol .03 but feel and act as if I was at .06 and my friends didn't understand why I refused to drink at all. They were like 'If you get pulled over you'll blow under a warn, you'll be fine. And technically I would be. But I also could have killed someone.

People have strange blinders when it comes to prescription drugs they pop them like candy but don't want to deal with any aspect of them that might be an inconvinence to their lives.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:

Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
I am grateful grapefruit

driving while high, i think, can be just as bad as driving drunk. I got high the other day downtown at my friend's place. I thought I sobered up. I got into the car, started it, then realized that I felt sooo slow and stupid still. So I took a nap for an hour before I drove.

Different weed makes you feel different, and quite a few different strains can make you have even slower reaction times than alcohol.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #17

When I get high, and before I drive, I play GT5.

If I can't complete Tokyo R246 in under a consistent 1:35 in a ZR-1, I can't drive.

LOL.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
They were like 'If you get pulled over you'll blow under a warn, you'll be fine. And technically I would be. But I also could have killed someone.

You could still be done for a 24 hour suspension even blowing below a "WARN" if the officer had reasonable grounds to believe you were still impaired by alcohol. IE: someone who never drinks and weighs 120 lbs and at .04 mg% could be impaired.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:

Paging Soundy!

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
Usually to get a 24-hour prohibition for impairment by drugs there has to be symptoms of impairment. Some officers will bend this rule and issue 24-hour suspension's without many symptoms. It would be nice to have some type of ASD for drugs but until that technology arrives in the hands of officers, things will stay the way they are.

Weed, like alcohol, shouldnt be consumed before driving, no matter how much or how little
Doesnt DUI include drugs along with alcohol? u dont need to show symptoms of drunkness to get a prohibition.

Also, didnt you(skidmark) have the grounds to charge him of dui/seize his car etc? him admitting that he just had a joint?
If so, why didnt you do it?
if you coudlnt, its time for me to hotbox
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #21
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[QUOTE=da-suu;7263440]yo thats awsome, last summer 80% of the time i drove i was high. and honestly when ur high ur more relaxed driving so u know what ur doing. plus u drive alot better.

Anybody else need any more proof that drugs rot your brain? Wonder how he would feel if the pilot in his next Westjet flight flew ripped 80% of the time.. or his ER doctor (when he crashes because of his better driving) was ripped 80% of the time when he operated on him to save his life? This is not "fast times at ridgemount high"...this is real life dude. You don't drive better when you are high. If you did then all the world's champions would be blasted when they raced. If you insist on doing this would you post it on RS first so we can get our family and friends off of the roads you are driving?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Different weed makes you feel different, and quite a few different strains can make you have even slower reaction times than alcohol.
And you don't know what that weed has been laced with either.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
You don't drive better when you are high. If you did then all the world's champions would be blasted when they raced
Hahahaha, this is so true. Never fails to amaze me, the number of wannabe-racers who think they have it all figured out from a couple years of street driving. Reminds me of the thread here a couple years ago where some guy poo-pooed the 10-and-2 positions and insisted that he had more control driving with one hand on the wheel and the other hanging out the window (or picking his nose, or up his arse, or whatever). Same question applied: if that works SO much better, then show me just ONE professional race driver who actually races that way. F1, NASCAR, Rally, you name it... they all drive both hands on the wheel. Figure it out, Sherlock.
Quote:
Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #24
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
Quote:

You're a moron. Please remove yourself from driving immediately.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You're a moron. Please remove yourself from the gene pool immediately.
Fixed that for you...
Quote: