REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Regarding TFSA

Quote:
The TFSA and capital gains. Capital gains are likewise taxed more favourably than interest income in normal circumstances outside of registered plans and the TFSA. Only half of your capital gains, net of any losses, are taxable.

Capital gains also provide an opportunity for tax deferral because the gains are only taxable when the gain is “realized,” generally through the sale or transfer of the asset. You will not pay any taxes on the “unrealized” gains for as long as you continue to hold the investment.

From a TFSA perspective, the majority of capital gains potential will generally come from equities, although you may also realize some capital gains on bonds and mutual funds under certain circumstances.
Can anyone explain the bolded line?

If I use $10k to make $100k in 5 years and withdraw them afterwards, are those considered "realized"?
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

realized means when you sell it
so if you don't sell it, CRA will not tax you on your gain in market value

When you take out $ out of your TFSA it won't be taxed
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
2011 - Buy ABC Stock for 10k
2012 - ABC up 90k
2013 - ABC up to 100k
2014 - Sell ABC @ 100k --- gain realized in 2014. include 45k in taxable income.

if you use any sort of online brokerage , they will send u a T-3 (or t-5 can't remember) showing your dispositions and resulting gains/losses

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
that sorta defeats the purpose of a tfsa.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Wtf, then whats the point of having a TFSA then?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
if you dont use the tfsa. you will be taxed 50% on proceeds.
if you sell within the tfsa and withdraw money -- its not taxable like Waddy said.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
2011 - Buy ABC Stock for 10k
2012 - ABC up 90k
2013 - ABC up to 100k
2014 - Sell ABC @ 100k --- gain realized in 2014. include 45k in taxable income.

if you use any sort of online brokerage , they will send u a T-3 (or t-5 can't remember) showing your dispositions and resulting gains/losses
they don't give u any tax slips on cap gains/loss, you have to print out the transactions for those

you only get a t3 or t5 for any dividends or interest income
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^ right, no slips are given, but depending on your broker they will give you a list of your sales
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote