REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Shops for Expert Spacers and Wheel Adapters? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/634897-shops-expert-spacers-wheel-adapters.html)

gearshifter 01-11-2011 07:56 PM

Shops for Expert Spacers and Wheel Adapters?

Anyone know shops, places or people who are very knowledgable and able to help with spacers and wheel adapters for higher end cars?

The main importance though is that they are willing to help, because apparently spacers and wheel adapters are illegal.

Thanks!

Supafly 01-11-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearshifter (Post 7261074)
Anyone know shops, places or people who are very knowledgable and able to help with spacers and wheel adapters for higher end cars?

The main importance though is that they are willing to help, because apparently spacers and wheel adapters are illegal.

Thanks!

if you drive a higher end car....buy some higher end wheels with correct offsets and bolt patterns.
/thread.

ilvtofu 01-11-2011 08:16 PM

I just started looking at wheel adapters today for my car so I could fit something other than 5x110,
I didn't know they were illegal, my eibach pro-kit spacers are TUV and ISO approved, maybe something north american

Anyways the ones I am most interested in are these made in california. Company has been making adapters for over 25 years
They have a very bad website but I think their product is worth noting, it's all custom
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

!

EDIT: for reference hub and wheel centric adapters I priced out was about $275 shipped to the states for 4 19mm adapters (0.75" the smallest size they have)

Supafly 01-11-2011 08:24 PM

H&R make some really nice ones aswell...I had a set of 20mm adapters.

In the end, its better to just get the correct wheels with the correct offsets and bolt patterns. It will save you more money in the end.

MindBomber 01-11-2011 08:28 PM

I'm trying to find a video of a 240sx running cheapo ebay wheel spacers that all fail simultaneously, anyone know what I'm talking about?

The correct wheels, with the correct offsets are the best option, but if you run a car with an uncommon bolt pattern, adapters are worthwhile expense.

GabAlmighty 01-11-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearshifter (Post 7261074)

Thanks!

I hear the internet is pretty helpful, google mostly. Who told you they were illegal?

If you have a "high end" car, I mean it's better right? Why not buy some proper bolt pattern wheels with correct offset.

What wheels are you trying to fit on what car? Stats on what the car usually takes?

Leopold Stotch 01-11-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7261117)
I'm trying to find a video of a 240sx running cheapo ebay wheel spacers that all fail simultaneously, anyone know what I'm talking about?

The correct wheels, with the correct offsets are the best option, but if you run a car with an uncommon bolt pattern, adapters are worthwhile expense.

that's happened to a FD if that's what you're thinking about

that was the lug nuts failing though.

i have some Ichiba's and the G35/350z communities love them, they're cheap and come with hub centric rings.

baggdis300 01-11-2011 10:10 PM

ichiba's are really high quality...

i loved em on my IS

S1 S2 01-11-2011 10:31 PM

Also running ichiba v2 spacers on my Mazda 6.
Posted via RS Mobile

mbl2 01-11-2011 11:28 PM

There are many brand names out there like Ichiba, Project Kics, H&R, etc.

Depending on how you wide you go for the spacer, you will need extended studs with slip on spacers. If not, you can run spacers with built-in studs.

I haven't had any problems with my H&Rs. Just make sure you torque the nuts properly. I've heard of people stacking spacers on top of one another with no issues.

MindBomber 01-12-2011 01:11 AM

To be honest, I don't know my Nissan body codes that well, FD?

It was posted on Honda-Tech in a wheel spacer thread stating that the spacers failed, because they weren't torqued properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7261277)
that's happened to a FD if that's what you're thinking about

that was the lug nuts failing though.

i have some Ichiba's and the G35/350z communities love them, they're cheap and come with hub centric rings.

Energy 01-12-2011 07:54 AM

is what they were referring to I think. Rx7 = FD3S

Kalize 01-12-2011 08:50 AM

i heard they wear out the wheel bearings a lot faster

like a few ppl said...if you have a "higher end" vehicle...spend the cash to get proper wheels with correct off-sets

PJ 01-12-2011 11:15 AM

I'd only run adaptors.. if I really had to. I'd prefer not to.. It's just another thing in there that doesn't have to be, which can go wrong.
Especially for a higher end car.. just get wheels with the proper offsets.

But if you must, go with the H&R.

gearshifter 01-12-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7261123)
I hear the internet is pretty helpful, google mostly. Who told you they were illegal?

If you have a "high end" car, I mean it's better right? Why not buy some proper bolt pattern wheels with correct offset.

What wheels are you trying to fit on what car? Stats on what the car usually takes?

The place I took it to was OKTires at Oak and Marine dr... The guy wouldn't mount them on due to it being illegal.

The rims I bought are genuine Brabus rims which all have higher than needed offsets (rim sits close to inside) as a Brabus standard for some reason. The bolt pattern works for the car and the wheel only comes as is. Brabus recommends their spacers on them as well.

The car is supposed to be 23mm front and 27mm rear.

The wheels are Brabus Monoblock VIs.
Front: 20X9" ET40
Rear: 20X10" ET45
Bolt Pattern: 5x112

What I'm looking for is if anyone knows of shops that know what they are doing with spacers and have experience with european cars.
If anyone has this knowledge, please do share :)

Thank you for everyone's input.

ilvtofu 01-12-2011 12:22 PM

Bring it to sora't if OK tires won't do it. Theres really not much to it just torque it down properly. If you can install wheels you can install wheel adapters

JordanLee 01-12-2011 03:13 PM

Anyone know where I can get 10mm non hubcentric spacers with pressed studs? Project Kics are sooo much...

Jegz 01-12-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 7261699)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

SLAMMED :fullofwin:

MindBomber 01-12-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7262011)
Bring it to sora't if OK tires won't do it. Theres really not much to it just torque it down properly. If you can install wheels you can install wheel adapters

+1 on Sora't, very good quality work for reasonable prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Energy (Post 7261699)

Not the video I saw before, but very similar.

It made me LOL hard the first time I watched it.

GabAlmighty 01-12-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearshifter (Post 7261995)
The place I took it to was OKTires at Oak and Marine dr... The guy wouldn't mount them on due to it being illegal.

The rims I bought are genuine Brabus rims which all have higher than needed offsets (rim sits close to inside) as a Brabus standard for some reason. The bolt pattern works for the car and the wheel only comes as is. Brabus recommends their spacers on them as well.

The car is supposed to be 23mm front and 27mm rear.

The wheels are Brabus Monoblock VIs.
Front: 20X9" ET40
Rear: 20X10" ET45
Bolt Pattern: 5x112

What I'm looking for is if anyone knows of shops that know what they are doing with spacers and have experience with european cars.
If anyone has this knowledge, please do share :)

Thank you for everyone's input.

Ok that's really easy. The shop you went it is obviously stupido (unless someone can confirm them being illegal).

All you need is a spacer, just a piece of metal... If somehow a spacer fails, well, that makes no sense. I can see adapters failing but not spacers, unless it's the shape of an oval.

Go on the internet, find a spacer that will get you to the correct offset. Then get out your credit card, buy them. Take wheels to shop, tell them that you can't take your wheels off and that you would like them to put your Brabus wheels on with said spacers.

If they won't do it, bust out your jack and do it yourself. Not hard to put on a new set of wheels.

Shun Izaki 01-12-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 7262213)
Anyone know where I can get 10mm non hubcentric spacers with pressed studs? Project Kics are sooo much...

JAY-DEE-EMM...

GabAlmighty 01-12-2011 05:46 PM

Look what I found!
Even though you need a 20mm spacer. Just saying, it's not hard.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...095755137.html

MindBomber 01-12-2011 06:21 PM

^I <3 Craigslist.

There's nothing that can't be found there and almost always at very reasonable prices.

GabAlmighty 01-12-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7262448)
^I <3 Craigslist.

There's nothing that can't be found there and almost always at very reasonable prices.

Normally I wouldn't have posted that add. I know the guy, he's been banned from my forum for sketchy transaction. I wouldn't buy his car either (it's a red 940 with a bunch of mods done to it and an M90 5spd). He's screwed me more than once.

I felt that you can't really screw up on a pair of spacers except over price them haha.

shenmecar 01-12-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7261277)

I have them too! The IS community loves them as well!