REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #126
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
LMAO.. wow.. target wants to open 124 stores nation-wide before the end of 2013... THATS a huge ambition...

No wonder walmart is pushing for that spot in Richmond so hard..
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #127
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I just can't believe that this many people care about Target. Another big box store in another strip mall selling the same old shit.

And its claim to fame? King of being "not wal-mart".
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #128
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I just can't believe that this many people care about Target. Another big box store in another strip mall selling the same old shit.

And its claim to fame? King of being "not wal-mart".
Have you been to Target in the States? It's somewhat pleasant to walk around in, unlike Walmart. If anything, it will be head and shoulders above what Zellers was in the last 10 years. Target also does carry a few exclusive lines of clothing (kinda like Joe Fresh and Superstore).

Of course, we Canadians are generally cheap and don't care about the in-store experience. Witness the gong show that is Superstore on the weekends.

In retail, you either go high-end, like Holt Renfrew and Nordstrom, or you go low, like Walmart, Army and Navy, and Giant Tiger. I'm not sure how Target will do in the long run, especially if they don't have aggressive sales like say Canadian Tire.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #129
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,162 Times in 2,400 Posts
Ya Target's house brand of clothes are half decent actually.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #130
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Have you been to Target in the States? It's somewhat pleasant to walk around in, unlike Walmart. If anything, it will be head and shoulders above what Zellers was in the last 10 years.
i agree, i enjoy walking through the target in bellingham...but i'm not sure if it's b/c it's not as busy as the costco or walmart there :P

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #131
Need to Seek Professional Help

Zellers was downright depressing. It must be the lighting or something but once you walk in one you feel like in a dump. I don't know if it's bad design or on purpose. Target on the other hand, is nice and bright and colourful. It definitely affects the mood.
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #132

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Pat View Post
Zellers was downright depressing. It must be the lighting or something but once you walk in one you feel like in a dump. I don't know if it's bad design or on purpose. Target on the other hand, is nice and bright and colourful. It definitely affects the mood.
dont forget the absolute TERRIBLE service. Mind u, during the decline..i'm thinking the employees there just didnt give a crap anymore.

but they were old , grumpy, unfriendly.

walmart on the other hand? clueless.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
dont forget the absolute TERRIBLE service. Mind u, during the decline..i'm thinking the employees there just didnt give a crap anymore.

but they were old , grumpy, unfriendly.

walmart on the other hand? clueless.
You always get what you pay for. You may pay a bit more at Target for the same products, but you get a better experience (more pleasant store to be in, better trained staff, etc.). For example, I shop at Save-on-Foods rather than Walmart or Superstore because the stores are generally better organized and the lighting is better. I pay a bit more, but I'm willing to pay for a saner shopping experience. On the other hand, I think I'm in the minority.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #134
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
You always get what you pay for. You may pay a bit more at Target for the same products, but you get a better experience (more pleasant store to be in, better trained staff, etc.). For example, I shop at Save-on-Foods rather than Walmart or Superstore because the stores are generally better organized and the lighting is better. I pay a bit more, but I'm willing to pay for a saner shopping experience. On the other hand, I think I'm in the minority.
Posted via RS Mobile
you pay more for groceries cuz you like their better "lighting"???
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #135

Though I don't go to IGA or Safeway when they don't have a sale, I myself MUCH rather prefer the experience of going to those places over Superstore and Pricesmart.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 05-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #136
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Wal-Mart at surrey seems pretty decent/ Been shopping there with Gf for the last few weeks. Doesn't matter how the lighting or service is. We are usually done in 30mins anyways.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
you pay more for groceries cuz you like their better "lighting"???
Like I said, I'm in the minority.

But on the other hand, I don't have to fight all of the crowds at Superstore or T&T on the weekends to save 10 cents a pound on Gala apples. Nor do I have to fight with people who can't park their cars properly.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #138

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:

But on the other hand, I don't have to fight all of the crowds at Superstore or T&T on the weekends to save 10 cents a pound on Gala apples. Nor do I have to fight with people who can't park their cars properly.
Posted via RS Mobile
Depending on what you're shopping for it's way more than 10 cents or even $10 as a matter of fact.

I agree, Superstore and the Walmarts of this world have such a hurting vibe. Place often looks like a mess in some areas, lighting sucks, busier, no customer service etc etc.

At the end of the day though I'm not always willing to pay an extra $5, $10, $20, $30 + just for that reason. Luckily, Superstore, Price Smart, and Walmart are all within a few blocks of each other so I usually grocery store hop.

Walmart - I basically don't even go period

Superstore - I'll buy everything here other than raw foods, veggies, meats etc because the quality of their food is just not on par.

Also things like soap, tooth paste and all those "other" things cost way less at Superstore. Even when Price Smart, Safeway and these places are on sale, the price is still more expensive than Superstores regular price for the same item.

Price Smart - I'll often buy raw food here because the quality is better than Superstore hands down

Other misc places I would go to buy food is those little independent Chinese ones like Super Market 2000. T & T is kind of like Superstore for me, raw food is shit quality but dry stuff is the same wherever you get it. Of course there's Whole Foods and Donalds for example.

Like I said, once you factor all the crap at the end of the day you buy from food, to some house hold items etc the difference is huge.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #139

If I need toilet paper and certain non-perishable goods, I will go to Superstore and get in/out as fast as I can. I try to go just before closing just to avoid the crowds. However, it's definitely not a habit.

When Target comes to my neighbourhood (Brentwood), I imagine I'll go there quite often if they can come to within 5-8% of what Superstore charges.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #140
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
Is more than 10cents ually ranges form a few dollars to $10. It adds up quickly if you have to go shop every week. Also to avoid line up and bad drivers I usually go to Wal-Wart around 10:30am on Sat is pretty much empty and I will be out around 11am. No line up and is super quiet.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #141

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
If I need toilet paper and certain non-perishable goods, I will go to Superstore and get in/out as fast as I can. I try to go just before closing just to avoid the crowds. However, it's definitely not a habit.

When Target comes to my neighbourhood (Brentwood), I imagine I'll go there quite often if they can come to within 5-8% of what Superstore charges.
Posted via RS Mobile
I actually do the complete opposite. I'm always like to go as early as possibly and get in and out.

The overall number of people in the store pending the time you go may be more but checking out is less of a gong show because there's a ton of cash registers.

Every time I go late, sure way less people in the store but every damn cash register is closed and it just slows things up.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #142
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Posted via RS Mobile
moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #143
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
new fav place for groceries is thrifty's, better vibe, better selection, better steaks (dont even go to a butcher that much anymore) and its open 24hrs

it's like a Nesters market just bigger and open longer

and of course i still go to t&t/costco
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #144

So Richmond Lansdowne location opened today...
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #145
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
new fav place for groceries is thrifty's, better vibe, better selection, better steaks (dont even go to a butcher that much anymore) and its open 24hrs

it's like a Nesters market just bigger and open longer

and of course i still go to t&t/costco
i shop at thirfty for my day to day groceries - but if you're talking good meat, you're getting at the wrong place, yes thrifty is good (ok for steak), but costco - that's hte place to get your meat!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #146
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Thriftys used to be great when it was locally owned. It had a much bigger focus on local/specialty/higher end stuff. It's been downhill ever since Sobeys bought them out, definately a lot more generic house brand crap (Ie: Compliments brand)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Thriftys used to be great when it was locally owned. It had a much bigger focus on local/specialty/higher end stuff. It's been downhill ever since Sobeys bought them out, definately a lot more generic house brand crap (Ie: Compliments brand)
isn't compliments their 'house brand'? i swear they used to have that before the sobeys acquisition
Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #148
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,759 Posts
Nope, Sobeys started Compliments in 2005. They took over Thrifty's in 2007.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #149
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,509 Times in 4,901 Posts
winson604.......... you and I could be brothers. We think alike.

Early bird gets the worm.

I go to Fujiya right when they open. Sushi and bento is fresh and nobody in the lineup. Only bad thing is, all the eye candy go there between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm and the curry is never ready at opening.

Back on topic. Target is overrated. No savings to be had. Walmart is also overrated. I only go there when they have a loss leader in their weekly flyer. Better lighting, LOL. To save money, I will bring wind up flashlight with me.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 11-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Nope, Sobeys started Compliments in 2005. They took over Thrifty's in 2007.
either way, i enjoy thrifty way more than safeway, i find save-on to be a tad pricey, the rest seem a tad too low brow for my taste - i will admit that I am willing to pay a bit more for my food to know i get best quality, no quabbles returns (thrifty's customer service is great), etc.