REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #51
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makariri View Post
Yeah, I have no idea how Zellers has managed to stay afloat over the years - quite the dump of a chain, imo
The typical customer in Zellers is usually the 50-60+ crowd, or newer immigrant families. But with Walmart, Superstore and Costco, it's a difficult market for Zellers to compete in, imo. I think most of Zellers customers are just those who have become accustomed to shopping there; it's difficult for them to attract new customers with their aged image and average prices.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
i'm surprised Zellers made it past the 2000's.

I still see them selling video games from few years ago at original MSRP haha
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
I don't understand the emphasis on services at all. It adds no value to the goods u r purchasing. If I want a box of cookies, I want to pay for a box of cookies, not a box of cookies plus 20 cents for service. The extra 20 cents doesn't make ur cookie taste better.
Posted via RS Mobile
If that were the case, then we'd all be buying goods from warehouses or eating at home. We're humans and it's in our nature to be social, in spite of the internet and new mediums of communication. At one particular store I worked at, we more than doubled our yearly sales despite charging 15-30% more than other stores because our manager emphasized customer service.

Quote:
My uneducated guess...

As seen above, their one saving grace was the leases on the stores. I would imagine that concessions were made to make the stores more profitable. If Zellers died, you now have huge holes in malls all across Canada.
You're not far off. I read an article in the G&M today that stated that Zellers has very good long-term leases in many of its locations.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
I find the Zellers at Oakridge (a mall trying to become more "upscale") to be out of place...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #55
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
I find this an odd move on HBC's part though, as Zellers appears to be doing better then the Bay and Home Sense.
Home Outfitters is part of HBC. HomeSense is part of Winners.
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #56
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

so i was at zellers in metrotown...

the washroom are so old and unclean that its a wonder how it would sanitary...

oh well...
Old 01-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #57
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Good time to buy this PS3:

http://www.target.com/PlayStation-Co...ef=huc_ic_1_pn
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #58
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ Why is it so cheap?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #59
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

^^ I just noticed in the description that its for a controller not the system ? I made an order, should i cancel it ?
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #60
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #61
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Cancelled my order from target, keeping the one from amazon though.

Some people have already called amazon, prob gonna get cancelled. Meh, what do i gotta lose =D
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
http://money.ca.msn.com/investing/ne...entid=27300751

By Mary Gazze, The Canadian Press, thecanadianpress.com, Updated: January 18, 2011 5:12 PM

Fairweather files $250M suit against Target

Customers enter a Target Apparel store, proprety of Fairweather Ltd., in Sudbury, Ont. on Friday January 14, 2011. Clothing chain Fairweather Ltd. has filed a lawsuit against American discount retailer Target, on the grounds that it owns the right to use the name in Canada — though the U.S company says it sees no obstacle to its planned expansion into this country. THE CANADIAN PRESS 2011/Gino Donato

TORONTO - Clothing chain Fairweather Ltd. has filed a lawsuit against American discount retailer Target, on the grounds that it owns the right to use the name in Canada — though the U.S. company says it sees no obstacle to expanding into this country.

In documents filed in Federal Court on Monday, Fairweather said it is seeking up to $250 million in damages for alleged trademark infringement, and wants an injunction to block the U.S. Target chain from using the name in Canada.

Toronto-based Fairweather has owned the Canadian rights to the name for 10 years, when it bought assets from Dylex Ltd.

Dylex, was a Canadian company that once owned Fairweather and numerous other retail chains, had registered the "Target Apparel" name in 1981. Dylex was eventually split up, although many of its chains still operate.

Fairweather has been operating a Toronto clothing store under the name "Target Apparel" since 2005.

The flashy American Target, which is known for designer fashion collaborations at discount chain prices, announced last week that it plans to open more than 200 stores in Canada in the next decade as it takes over the leases for the majority of Zellers stores from the Hudson's Bay Company.

The American chain announced Tuesday that Tony Fisher has been named as president of Target Canada. The veteran Target executive will be responsible for building a Canadian team, establishing a headquarters and leading day-to-day operations related to the expansion.

Meanwhile, Fairweather claims the American retailer's entry into Canada would lead to a loss of customers, the devaluation of the Target Apparel name, and loss of control over its trademark and reputation.

It wants the court to declare that it has the sole right to use the "Target Apparel" name in Canada, and to prevent the U.S. retailer from using the name on any clothing labels or retail stores north of the border.

Fairweather said it also wants American Target to transfer ownership of the website targetapparel.com, which currently redirects to the U.S. chain's website.

Fairweather declined to comment Tuesday because the matter is before the courts.

Jessica Carlson, a spokeswoman for Target, said she could not comment on the court proceedings, but said Minneapolis-based Target expects to use the same name, slogan, branding and signature bull's-eye logo that it uses in the U.S.

"There really is nothing that prevents Target from using the Target name and branding elements in Canada the same way we do in the United States," she said.

But University of Ottawa trademark law professor Teresa Scassa said if the American chain enters Canada before the dispute is resolved, it could risk legal troubles.

"They can start to use the trademark in Canada but there is a risk that they will be sued," she said, explaining that if the two retailers sold completely different merchandise, it would not be an issue, but there is an overlap as the two companies both sell clothing.

"Then the risk of confusion increases significantly. So if Target in the U.S. is known for their line of fashion wear and you've got Target Apparel that sells clothing in Canada, the risk that there'll be some confusion is much more significant," she said, adding that it is up to the court to decide whether allowing the two names to coexist would be confusing.

The American Target launched the legal proceedings in November by filing its own trademark infringement lawsuit against Fairweather.

Last year, the U.S. retailer filed a challenge with Canada's trademark office, claiming the Fairweather owner hasn't been using the Target name. The Canadian company has since opened "Target Apparel" stores in Sudbury, Ont., and Nanaimo, B.C.

Fairweather temporarily lost ownership of the Target trademark in 2005 after the U.S. retailer moved to have it cancelled. Industry Canada said the trade mark was expunged, but the Federal Court of Appeal later ruled Fairweather's ownership should be reactivated.

Under U.S. Target's most recent challenge, Fairweather now has until the end of February to prove to the trademark office that it has used the name in the last three years, or had plans to use it, in order to keep its ownership rights.

Depending on the outcome, the American chain may have to choose between using a different Canadian name, or buying the Canadian rights.

Fairweather also owns discount menswear chain International Clothiers and department stores Les Ailes De La Mode in Quebec. It is not clear whether the company has plans to open more locations or convert its current stores to the Target Apparel name.
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #63
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i rmb i ate once at the zellers restaurant and its not as bad as i thought it would be..
jaebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #64
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaebomb View Post
i rmb i ate once at the zellers restaurant and its not as bad as i thought it would be..
That's because it should be fucking impossible to screw up a burger and fries.

The restaurants are actually quite important for Zellers - they really serve a lot of food to the golden-agers, giving them reason to come to a store, stay in a store, and of course spend a bit of money in store.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #65
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts

zellers is like the only big retailer that had a mascot.. i think XD

i still have one of these guys in my basement storage (with a shirt) from when i was a kid.

and i remember zellers used to be awesome with the 99 cent breakfast that owned the ikea ones
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #66
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
A list of 105 Zellers locations picked by Target for takeover

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...122672933.html

Quote:
British Columbia

Abbotsford Power Centre, Abbotsford;
Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby;
Discovery Harbour Shopping Centre, Campbell River;
Cottonwood Mall, Chilliwack;
Coquitlam Centre, Coquitlam;
Driftwood Mall, Courtenay;
Tamarack Mall, Cranbrook;
Scottsdale Mall, Delta;
Willowbrook Shopping Centre, Langley;
Haney Place Mall, Maple Ridge.
Nanaimo North Town Centre, Nanaimo;
Pine Centre, Prince George;
Oakridge Shopping Centre, Vancouver;
Village Green Mall, Vernon;
Tillicum Mall, Victoria.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #67
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
no more lansdowne

oh well... Richmond Centre was the OG Zellers of Richmond
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #68
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
Cancelled my order from target, keeping the one from amazon though.

Some people have already called amazon, prob gonna get cancelled. Meh, what do i gotta lose =D
So did you get your PS3? or refund??
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #69
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Between Target and the Megawalmart coming into Poco/Coquitlam, and with Costco and Superstore already here, I shutter to think what this is going to do to local business.

But... good deals will be a plenty.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #70
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
apparently it's happening early 2013. I can't wait to see their pricing go head to head with walmart
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #71

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
A list of 105 Zellers locations picked by Target for takeover

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...122672933.html
My wife will be happy, the Langley one is so close to us and she's all about the Target.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #72

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
no more lansdowne

oh well... Richmond Centre was the OG Zellers of Richmond
I don't see Lansdowne in the list posted by InvisibleSoul...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #73
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
HBC was sold to Americans years ago, who turned it into a very profitable company. Zellers was a weak link and they managed to sell it for more than they originally bought HBC for.
^^ This. Lord & Tailor bought them out afew years ago. They kept the symbolic name "The Bay" for just that reason; tradition and symbolism. There have been talks in the last few months about this buy out by Target so it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

IMO Target>Zellers, hopefully they will bring the food that they only sell in the US over to Canada
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #74
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

They are supposed to be bringing their food lines up here (as are the mega Walmarts).

While generally I'm very anti big box, as someone with food allergies, this is AWESOME as the US has a lot more allergy friendly brands then we do.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #75
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Between Target and the Megawalmart coming into Poco/Coquitlam, ........
Holy crap, I never even noticed the WalMart and I'm at that Costco almost every weekend. Actually, leaving to go to Costco and HD right now.

The Coast Meridian Bridge sure opened up that area for me since I live at the South foot of it.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote