REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Yellow blubs

Are yellow high beam bulbs legal? These are the bulbs I plan to get.http://www.racinglab.com/nohyyeprohal11.html
Advertisement
Jeff89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

1. sticky at the top of the forum about "the answer to almost all questions about lights" likely would have given you the answer, and/or

2. a quick google search would have given you this: http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...01#section4.05

Quote:
Headlamps
4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.

(2) The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37 m.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to highway construction and maintenance equipment.
(4) Despite subsection (1), a motorcycle must be equipped with at least one and not more than 2 headlamps.
(5) A motorcycle manufactured after December 31, 1974 must be equipped with a headlamp or headlamps which automatically turn on when the engine of the motorcycle is started and which remain illuminated as long as the engine is running.
(6) The headlamp on a motorcycle travelling at less than 50 km/h must reveal an object at a distance of 30 m.
(7) The headlamp on a motorcycle travelling at 50 km/h or more must reveal an object at a distance of 60 m.
(8) A motorcycle may be equipped with modulating headlamps if the headlamps comply with section 5.6 of the Technical Standards Document No. 108, Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada).
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff89 View Post
Are yellow high beam bulbs legal? These are the bulbs I plan to get.http://www.racinglab.com/nohyyeprohal11.html
No. It is not legal.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,232 Times in 860 Posts
Technically its illegal but this is one of those super minor things that cops don't usually enforce.

I've had it on my old car and I got pulled over twice and the cop definitely saw it but didn't even say anything. I've been at an intersection across cops with the yellow drls/highbeams on and they don't take a second look.

I don't have them on my current car now but thought it might be helpful for you.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Yea Im sure it is illegal. But i have had yellow drl/highbeams in my dc2 for almost 2 years with no issues. Might get pulled over for this in Richmond. But cops usually have something better to do.
Posted via RS Mobile
jeffwilliams17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i have PIAA ion yellow bulbs as my headlights never had a problem in the last 3 months including all the road blocks i went through they only project yellow light onto the ground and whiter light towards oncoming cars
chris walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

You can always ask them if the bulbs are street legal:

SPW INCORPORATED
1909 S. Campus Ave.
Ontario, CA 91761
Tel: 909-923-7500
Fax: 909-923-6275

We can be reached from 9:00-5:30, Monday through Friday (PST).

Nokya™ bulbs are guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase. All warranty claims should be handled by returning the product to the place of purchase.

Customer service inquiries may be made to info@spwusa.com

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I believe the packaging on the Nokya bulbs say its "for off-road use only". I'll double check when visit my garage later.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0r3 View Post
I believe the packaging on the Nokya bulbs say its "for off-road use only".
That would be my guess as well.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

What about cars who have the bulbs mounted in orange reflectors I think it is. I know the gmc cube vans have their turn signals and drls and some saturns have the inner yellow part of their headlights. With yellow bulbs I'm sure most cops most mind but if you're driving like a retard and then be an asshole to them when pulledover, they could write a ticket for them as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,069 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but, I would like to pull the fuse from my current DRL's and use my fog lights as "Drls". Would this be considered illegal? Technically I still have day-time running lights, just they're yellow, NOT my highbeams outputting at max.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote