REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

suction cup mounted cell phone holder to front windshield

I suspect already that they're illegal, as per some bylaw somewhere about not having anything that obstructs windshields. But then, I've seen taxis with GPSs mounted near the left pillar that could be classified as blocking the windshield, so the police may be turning a blind eye to this. Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for a cell phone or GPS being mounted by suction cup on the front windshield?

I'm aware of the new cell phone law that describes not being allowed to control such a device while the vehicle is in traffic.

Of course, I wouldn't mount it smack dab in the centre of my field of vision...I was thinking right below my rear view mirror.

(I tried doing a search for this...but apparently the search function doesn't pick up short words like "GPS")
Advertisement
PurpleWhenClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
I have a GPS mount and also a Radar Detector mount on my windshield, and I've gone through Roadblocks just fine. Not sure if it'll be a different story being pulled over.

Doubt you'd get in trouble for it considering GPS are perfectly legal, and can still be used, as long as you're not programming it while you're moving.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

GPS is fine.

If it wasn't, there'd be a HUGE uproar about it.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
I have a GPS mount and also a Radar Detector mount on my windshield, and I've gone through Roadblocks just fine. Not sure if it'll be a different story being pulled over.

Doubt you'd get in trouble for it considering GPS are perfectly legal, and can still be used, as long as you're not programming it while you're moving.
i had my sirius near a piller, and radar above the center compartment of the dash cop didn't say anything about them other than inquiring what they were.
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
seeing that future shop, best buy, and other bigbox store sells them without any warnings about "for offroad use only" etc... I don't think they are illegal.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Windshields and windows
7.05 (1) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle the windshield or any window of which is in such condition that the vision of the driver is impaired.

Windshield stickers
(2) No person shall drive or operate a vehicle on a highway while his view of the highway or of any intersecting highway is unduly obstructed by any windshield sticker, sign, poster or other thing or material placed over or affixed to the windshield or any window of the vehicle.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Please just use common sense. We don't need to be like California where they have laws telling you, to the inch, where things can be placed on the windshield.

If you do stick something to it, don't put it right in your line of sight like so many people do with their GPS units.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for the quote from zulutango...I think that was the law I was thinking of. The adjective, "unduly", which I didn't notice before, leaves interpretation open enough to allow for this.
PurpleWhenClean is offline   Reply With Quote