REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Shear walls

this is a questions for u framer/carpenters

i have a brand new townhouse and im curious to know which side of the partitioning walls would the shear wall be on? is there any building codes that states which side it should be installed? dont want to poke holes in drywall to find out

reason im asking is in the future, might want to run some wiring from the 2nd to 3rd floor, and unfortunately the only common wall i have to work with is either of the partitioning walls.
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

Shear walls are built to prevent lateral load or movement, So you probably looking at a long hallway or stretch . Its hard to say because location is also dependent on your roof and size of the town house and foundation. There are codes that had just been implemented and changed. Not too sure what the ratio is and rules are ( structural engineer stuff / math ). Your better off finding it out on the plans or from a structual engineer. Again all dependent on you buildings specs. hope this helps
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ask your building manager to see the architectural drawings
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #4

meh, building management is not in place yet,
so i talked to developers, and apparently they cant give out this type of information

i guess ill just have to find out myself.

but out of curiousity, lets say i cut a hole on my side of the party wall, does it need to be 'firestopped' in the case of insurance reasons??
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Sheer walls are typically between suites or along hallway corridors depending on the layout. Like RenoMan pointed out, they're there to counteract lateral load/movement.

If the wall is a fire separation, any work you do to it should be properly patched and fire stopped after you've done your work. I'm not sure how it will affect your insurance though if there ever is a fire.

You also don't need to have walls line up flush to run cables or lines from one floor to the other. When you get to the next floor you can always run it between the floor joists, if it is wood. If it's a concrete floor, you'd need to do trenching or drill through the slab.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #6

yeah, i know what shearwalls are for

i know i can run it between floor joists. its just too much damage for a brand new place lol
but for my layout, its actually alot more patch work / more paint colour to match / more painting for me
Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
If it were me I'd cut a piece of the celing out between the joists on the second floor next to the wall. Use that hole to gain easy access to the wall above as well as the wall on the second floor.

Run your wires and then add backing to the hole and put the same piece of drywall back. It's an easy patch from there, a little bit of mud and paint and you're good to go. Unfortunatley if you have textured ceilings then this won't really work.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
meh, building management is not in place yet,
so i talked to developers, and apparently they cant give out this type of information
The blueprints should all be on public record with the city permit department.

I'd think the developer would be required to share this kind of info as well - some potential buyers might find design details an important selling point. As in, "I want to know how well this place is designed/built before I invest."

If you're pre-buying in a place that's still under construction, a lot of developers will let you customize your unit... pre-wiring should be a no-brainer, if they're not past that point in the build. I know our townhouse was prewired for an alarm system, one of only four or five in our complex of 56 units, because the original owner requested it during construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote