REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Should I Have Driven to Work Today?

For twenty five years I was expected to arrive at work regardless of the road conditions. After all, as a constable I was one of the people expected to be ready to help out if something happened on the highway. Like me, I am guessing that most of us feel obligated to arrive at our jobs ready to work even if the road conditions are terrible due to bad weather.

I found myself second guessing this desire as I nosed my vehicle out of the garage this morning and found the snow level to be higher than the bottom of the car. My street had not been cleaned, the school bus route I pulled onto at the corner hadn't been cleaned and the feeder to the main highway was in less than ideal condition. Was it worth the risk to go to work today?

Conditions varied, but at three major intersections the curb lane suddenly disappeared completely under unplowed snow that was difficult to see until the last few meters. Had I been unable to change lanes I would have been forced to continue on into that snow. Becoming stuck would have been lucky and losing control and causing a collision would have been worse.

Yes, I had reduced speed significantly but others around me had not. They also presented a threat to me. Had they strayed out of the ruts and lost control I was one of the objects they might run into.

Perhaps the smarter decision for me would have been not to have left the garage in the first place.

Leave a Comment
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a good 4x4 (with good snow tires, of course)

Maybe one of these, done up in RCMP colors and badging? http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/...a0fe4308dd.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
They used to display one of the tracked Bombardier cats at Depot by the museum...not sure if it is still there these days.

If you google this SK Regina RCMP 1997-0203 Depot Division Vehiclesyou will get the picture. It's not letting me link to it for some reason.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #4

You mean this? http://www.flickriver.com/photos/canadagood/3271978593/

Half-track, niiiiice
Quote:
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

Found another pic of that thing: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/...be70015d_z.jpg

Snowmobiles, maybe? http://www.yellowknife.ca/Assets/Mun...bile200801.JPG
Quote:
Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
e-thugger*

My car was plowing snow through some left turns in intersections but if it was bad enough to get stuck, I would have gotten stuck in my driveway. The road where my driveway runs is like a back alley.