REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
while we're on the topic of reliability...if a car was heavily modded and then put back to stock...does it make it reliable as it used to be?
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
dunno bout you guys but i'd rather buy a stock car than a modified car
This is the issue with selling a modified car, most don't want it. Almost all my friends have mostly parted out their cars before selling, since with the mods installed the car would sell at a loss compared to stock.

My car is worth ~$9K stock, yet I doubt I could get $6K for it (save the car insults for fight club! ) since the market for a vehicle modded like I have is very small, and I am unable to significantly part the car out.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
while we're on the topic of reliability...if a car was heavily modded and then put back to stock...does it make it reliable as it used to be?
Often not, the damage has been done - ie bearings/bushing with more wear than normal if the car was slammed. Yet the buyer may not know any better.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxboost View Post
Cars do not appreciate in value unless it is really rare or a collector car and even then it usually stays in stock form, modding is for your own personal enjoyment and people should know that before spending so much money on their cars.
Even those collector cars can be money pits. I used to attend cruise nights with older gentleman who owned muscle cars. Most of them had bought their current cars from someone else who had put in the hard work, then sold for less than the value added. Those who bought were usually guys who had built a car previously and knew that it is just not worth the time/money they put in, and would rather just buy cars at a discount and drive them now. I admit, I'm of that mindset now. I'd have no problem buying a modded car, yet I would want it at a discount.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #30
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I know when my car was stock I drove it easier .... but since I modified it I love beating the shit out of it. When it was stock the shifts were sluggish and sloppy and it sounded like nothing great ... now with a modified suspension, transmission shift kit and some engine mods, i can't help but beat the crap out of it and take corners faster than I used to. It's fun feeling the difference your mods made everytime you drive.

Usually modified car means the owner liked the performance gain (if it was performance mods) and probably drove it hard enough to notice the performance gains.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
For me, I like to modify cars for personal enjoyment...however the older I get, my mod list is more focus on actually performance upgrades Vs cosmetic upgrades.

Cosmetic Mods Vs OEM = cosmetic mods decrease the value, especially fiberglass body kits.

Quality Performance Mods Vs OEM = I am talking Volk Wheels, TC Kline Coilovers, eisenmann exhaust, etc...these quality mods should be worth $0.10 on the dollar at best.

Last summer, I sold my modded 2003 E46 M3 for $31K. I only had 55K kms on it, but if my car was stock I think I could have got approx. $28K...so I spend +$25K on mods and got back $3K
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I know u guys just want to buy typernammers car.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #33
Banned (BBM)

^

why

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
For me, I like to modify cars for personal enjoyment...however the older I get, my mod list is more focus on actually performance upgrades Vs cosmetic upgrades.

Cosmetic Mods Vs OEM = cosmetic mods decrease the value, especially fiberglass body kits.

Quality Performance Mods Vs OEM = I am talking Volk Wheels, TC Kline Coilovers, eisenmann exhaust, etc...these quality mods should be worth $0.10 on the dollar at best.

Last summer, I sold my modded 2003 E46 M3 for $31K. I only had 55K kms on it, but if my car was stock I think I could have got approx. $28K...so I spend +$25K on mods and got back $3K
it woulda been a different story if u parted it out
Old 01-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ you are absolutely right, if I had half a brain, I should have, I don't why I always have a problem parting out my car....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post

$0.10 on the dollar if you sell the car modified, but closer to $0.50 on the dollar if you part out. People online are always looking for good deals on quality modified parts.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem buying a modified car, even a heavily modified one, but I would be very thorough in inspecting it. If your buying a modified car from someone with good taste, who clearly invested in nothing but quality parts I wouldn't be concerned that it might have been abused. I wouldn't even consider buying a car with a CAI, exhaust, rims and subs, however.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #37
Banned (BBM)

when i parted my car i got about half of it back if not a little bit more
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #38
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Speaking from experience myself, having gone through the whole process. Here are my 2 cents.

I won't go into specific detail but now that I have a modified car, it's tough to sell primarily for these specific reasons:

1. The mods aren't reversible. The body kit is molded and I don't have some of the stock parts. Not only that, if I were to revert certain parts back to stock, there's time/labour cost involved. I have better things to do with my time these days.

2. The market is poor. Depending on who comes along and is interested in pursuing your car, it better be worth market price. Let's face it: The economy is in the gutter. It's a buyers market. Not everybody is a true enthusiast. Oh, and depreciation is still my biggest nightmare.

3. Advancement in technology and reliability. Who in their right mind would want a 10+ year old car? With the newer cars being more reliable, powerful, and efficient, why buy a 15 year old car that's about to fall apart and has little to no service/maintenance history? Personally, I would fork up the extra cash to buy a car that is newer and nicer but again, it depends on what you're after. This is subjective but you get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

That being said however, I would not have a problem buying a lightly modified vehicle given that the stock parts are included and are easy to revert back to stock. That and it must have a service/maintenance and parts purchase history. It all depends on what you're after and whether or not the car you are trying to sell will have a long-term market for such vehicles in the next 3 to 5 years.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #39
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
2. The market is poor. Depending on who comes along and is interested in pursuing your car, it better be worth market price. Let's face it: The economy is in the gutter. It's a buyers market. Not everybody is a true enthusiast. Oh, and depreciation is still my biggest nightmare.
I think many people keep forgetting point #2.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #40
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I think many people keep forgetting point #2.
Unfortunately, reality of the fact is that a lot of owners of enthusiast cars put on some kind of Initial D/JDM drift tax on their cars. It's a matter of economics, really. Those who put up their cars for sale with some kind of astronomical 1997 price in today's market will be hard pressed to push a sale. On the flip side, I can highly respect owners who hold on to their cars to ride things out.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
part it out
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #42
RS controls my life!

reselling a modified car as to a "returned to stock" car has both pros and cons, depending how reversible the mods are. heres my input...

"modified"
PROS
- a modified car might have parts that makes the car's condition more desirable to buyers (ie. car alarm, bolt on parts such as intake, exhaust, suspension etc) especially if they're highly sought after mods
- an enthusiast might appreciate your mod/work done, that could potentially be a selling point
CONS
- a buyer might turn away from your car if its modified, because they prefer to choose "stock", so they can mod it themselves as per their taste
- if you are considering a trade in, you should part out regardless since most dealer dont care about your mods/work u put in it

"stock"
PROS
- stock-ifying a car might give you more cash at the end, assuming you kept the stock parts
- you might be able to win a buyers attention, who prefer to buy stock rather modified
CONS
- stock-ifying a car might need a base retune, assuming it ran a tune accordingly to some powah mods
- it takes resources (such as time and money) to reverse the mods that you did, it might not even worth doing it
- depending on the nature of the mod, it might be to the betterment of the car that if you take it out, problems might arise (i replaced my intercooler pipings because the stock ones keeps popping off while on boost FTL)
josel_atr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
With classic cars, restorations to Factory Stock usually have the highest value at car auctions, unless the modifications are done by someone high profile like Foose or Trepanier.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #44
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I will put it back to stock then sell the car, u'll get more money that way
Posted via RS Mobile
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote