REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Sounds like a very safe option. Ever consider travelling the world?

If you want something risky and blazze, why not travel the world.
I've given that option more than a passing thought. It kind of comes down to this:

A mortgage.

If I were to leave, I'm not sure if I could rent out my condo and have neutral cash flow. Even if I could, I would probably have to rent it out to dubious tenants and it would be pretty much guaranteed that if I were to come back, my apartment would be in far worse condition than I left it. Hiring a property manager would pretty much put me in a negative cash flow situation.

I could sell it right now, I suppose, and maybe make a net profit of 50K-70K (after realtor fees, taxes, etc.). I leave the country for 2 years and let's say the market corrects 20-30% (worse case scenario). There's still no way that I could afford to buy an equivalent residence with that correction. Renting a 1-bedroom in my neighbourhood costs anywhere from 1000-1200/month. Once you get used to granite countertops and floor-to-ceiling windows, it's hard to go back.

Quote:
See the world and don't get married.
Marriage scares me because my property would not be protected in the event of a divorce (from my understanding of marriage laws.)

If my health keeps up, my plan is to see the world gradually over the next 10-20 years.
Advertisement

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote