REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

2000 Accord 4Cyl Transmission Busted

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Honda Accord 4cyl EX Coupe 149000km Automatic. The transmission on the thing just went yesterday morning and I'm debating whether to fix it or sell it.

Fixing it with a rebuilt would cost me 2900$ plus tax at Carter Honda. I just did a major maintenance and changed out front wheel bearings less than a month ago and costed me 1500$ and now this...

My question for everyone is, do you know anywhere that will do this cheaper? like close to 1500 but reliable?

The thing is, the car is not even worth 5500 on craigslist in an as-is condition...I'm debating whether I should sell it or fix it and drive it for another few years.
Besides the tranny, the car is in perfect driving condition and that is why I am having such a tough time convincing myself to just sell the thing.

On top of all this mess, Aircare is due by Feb11th. I dont think they will take my car for aircare if the engine light is on and between first and second gear it lags into neutral for a whole 1-2sec and lunges forward a bit and coming to a stop lunges forward as well...

If anybody has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreaciate that.
Advertisement
alsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
sadly you can not pass air care at this point

fixing it at honda will cost an arm and a leg have you got a quote at transmission shops? it should be a bit cheaper. Even if you can prob get one from a junker for cheap

or sell as it... people can drop a h22 + 5speed in this and it'll be quite fast...
you got any pics? I might have some people that could in interested in it as-is
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

I feel for ya man. That's a lot of money to drop on a car in such a short time frame.

The way I see it, if you want to drive the car for a couple of more years, you should just get a used transmission in the thing. And sell the car in the future.

Total cost should be 1500 or less, I believe?

Remember to get many quotes.

There's a lot out there: Pacific Driveline (honest shop), lee's transmission, freeman transmissions (single owner - seems honest when I had spoken with him), etc
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by !aznboi128 View Post
sadly you can not pass air care at this point

fixing it at honda will cost an arm and a leg have you got a quote at transmission shops? it should be a bit cheaper. Even if you can prob get one from a junker for cheap

or sell as it... people can drop a h22 + 5speed in this and it'll be quite fast...
you got any pics? I might have some people that could in interested in it as-is

pm'd u with the details of my car. I'm not too sure if i'm gonna sell just yet but will keep you posted once i decide and once i call those shops that subordinate suggested.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I feel for ya man. That's a lot of money to drop on a car in such a short time frame.

The way I see it, if you want to drive the car for a couple of more years, you should just get a used transmission in the thing. And sell the car in the future.

Total cost should be 1500 or less, I believe?

Remember to get many quotes.

There's a lot out there: Pacific Driveline (honest shop), lee's transmission, freeman transmissions (single owner - seems honest when I had spoken with him), etc
Thanks for recommending shops to me. I will look them up and give them a call tomorrow or Monday.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

Does anybody have experiences with AALL Tech Transmission at all?

I just called them for a quote, but ended up with an explanation about how the other technicians thats been giving me a quote are 'treating' me like incorrectly and ripping me off. He's saying that he can't give me a quote until he runs his diagnostic on it and possibly tear it apart... I feel like it's a trap. If he tears it apart, it's gonna cost me a lot in labor. He was telling me things like other shops will just go import one from back east and stick that old rusty one on my car.

He's saying they can possibly fix it a lot cheaper if it's just replacing one part... and others that quote a certain price will just charge that price even though they only did work that amounted to significantly less...

It was difficult talking to him because he sounded a bit hostile.

I called Freeman Transmissions as well and he quoted me quite a bit cheaper than Carter, but still quite a bit.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Last edited by k2_alpha; 02-09-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: failure to follow rules
d.to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

btw, i use to work for aalltech transmission. getting them to remove your transmission and inspecting it IS the bait.
d.to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Can you keep us updated with what happens? I too would like to know, where is a good place for a tranny replacement.
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
Can you keep us updated with what happens? I too would like to know, where is a good place for a tranny replacement.

Hey Gunsmokez and all, sorry for the lack of response from me for the past little while.
I actually sent my car to one of the shops subordinate referred me to - Freeman Transmission a 2 weeks back.

The guy sounds like an honest guy on the phone. He picked up my car via towtruck and has been at his shop since. I haven't got the car back yet. I think it's taking him a bit because last time i talk to him, he didn't sound too good - got the flu.

He's not replacing my tranny. He's taking it apart and rebuilding it - replacing all the parts that are faulty or needs to be replaced.

Anyways I will keep you guys posted once i get my car back.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #11

Sorry for such a delayed update...

Daniel from Freeman is a great guy to deal with and seems quite honest. I had to bring my car back shortly after being fixed initially due to transmission lagging between first and second gear. I have to say he's not the fastest second time around and because i had another car and wasnt in too much of a hurry to get it back, he kinda just took his time and said parts were taking a while to get to him...

It's still lagging a bit when car is just started up which i have to go back and get the computer reset aparently, but because it's so damn out of the way for me, I haven't got it done yet... The car has been in and outta the shop til 3 wks ago
So that's my experience...

Would I go back again?
Yes, because in the end it is running and pretty much fixed and he wasnt a piece of shit sales guy from fkin AALL tech transmission trying to take my car in and charge me couple hundred for a fuckin inspection where they have to take it apart. He then goes on to saying after the inspection it's up to me to decide whether I wanna proceed with the fix after it's been torn apart...right...and on top of that he refuses to give an estimate and goes on to bitch about other garages who gives estimates are liars and dishonest. Sorry, /rant.

Daniel from Freeman transmission was upfront with what he was going to do and wasnt so shady. He's a really nice guy as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

Sorry to tell you but i don't think resetting the ecm will do anything unless there's a sensor or soleniod problem and is replaced first. Are any warning lights on the dash? If its not an electrical component bolted or screwed on to the trans thats causing the lag, then its internal trans problem. Aside from a shifter cable or range switch, there's no other adjustments. And it doesn't sound like a range or cable adjustment problem.
Just curious but would you mind saying what was repaired/replaced in the trans and what the cost was?
Thats pretty much the bait with AALL tech trans. You pay a few hundred for him to take out the trans and rip it apart and tells you what it needs and what it will cost. If you don't like the quote, (and you most likely won't) you're stuck towing the car away with your trans in a box and in a million pieces
Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #13

hmm thanks for that info. i'll probe him a bit more next time i see him and see what he says...No warning lights at all other than my blown brake light indicator which i still have to replace.

I honestly don't remmeber what was replaced...it's been several months and at my job i made a 3d model of a transmission during this time as well so I'm confused with terminology I've acquired while at work and what he told me back in late Jan/early Feb.
I think he did mention something about a solenoid and clutch pack? i really dont recall...

Yep i just realized that the the rs member d.to, who responded above, also mentioned about AALL Tech basically trapping you once your car is all torn apart...

I rather not say the estimate Dan (from Freeman Transmission) provided me because it might not be something he wants to be public, i dont know. If you need work done you can just call him for the quote. Dan's not pushy at all. He seems honest and is always a nice guy and I just want to respect him by not just plastering his rate online.

I'm just a bit concerned at the moment with what you said about reseting the computer not being able to do anything about the lag...worried I'm going to have to bring the car back again and leave it there for a long time again....
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

i understand not wanting to show the price out in public. but i was just curious if it would have been more beneficial and less hassle to just have the trans replaced with a reman. For older honda's, our dealer often deals with Benz auto trans out in mapleridge. We have pretty good success with there tranny's. They usually have reman's sitting on the shelves and just swap tranny's with them. I think they do installs there too.