REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Meow

Insurance Question.

Okay so last night i got pulled over with my girlfriend. I was driving her car all day and i picked her up form work. The officer told me that, she should be driving because I am not on her insurance and I'm not covered to drive. I only borrow her car like once a month or less. Today she just bought a brand new car and she wanted to put me on the insurance and they said It doesn't make a difference if i were on it or not. Any opinions? Should we put me on her insurance, or should i just not drive her car?
Advertisement
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

its only that if you cause an accident when she is not with you at the time you would or she would not be covered because you were driving and you're not insured for use of the car.
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
if you are going to be driving her car, let her put your name on her insurance for like maybe $100 more a year? if you are not on the insurance and if you happen to be driving and something does happen, insurance will not cover anything.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I don't think they can even put your name under her insurance. ICBC only requires the owner to declare the principal operator (i.e. the one who drives the car 50%+ of the time). As long as the owner gives you permission to drive the car and you don't drive it over 50% of the time, you will be fine.

Edit: Assume your gf is the OWNER of course.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
I'm invisible

You are only required to list 1 main driver throughout the insurance term. The police officer does not have any say in it, unless the vehicle is stolen . Only icbc would play role in determining if there a breach in insurance (wrong Po, rate class, and territory).
Posted via RS Mobile
Edison_Chen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun_Y View Post
its only that if you cause an accident when she is not with you at the time you would or she would not be covered because you were driving and you're not insured for use of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
if you are going to be driving her car, let her put your name on her insurance for like maybe $100 more a year? if you are not on the insurance and if you happen to be driving and something does happen, insurance will not cover anything.
Where do you guys get your information from??
n0ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
well from where i buy my insurance they can add a secondary driver name's down for another $100. thats where my source is coming from.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ob View Post
Where do you guys get your information from??
From deep within their assholes, because that's where their heads are.
Presto is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun_Y View Post
+

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I called icbc with this question last month..

Only 1 name per insurance. You can't add a second name for $$. Her insurance will cover the car regardless if she is in the car or not. In order for any claims to be successful, the main driver had to drive 51% of the time.

And remember, any claims you are responsible will affect the insuree's insurance.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ end thread.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Ubereem Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post

Only 1 name per insurance. You can't add a second name for $$. Her insurance will cover the car regardless if she is in the car or not. In order for any claims to be successful, the main driver had to drive 51% of the time.

And remember, any claims you are responsible will affect the insuree's insurance.
Posted via RS Mobile
I seriously thought people would have the common sense to know this...

Your parents own the house...you live there...you get broken into...but they're not there... you're not covered? Because you're not on land title. Common sense? Anyone?
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
Question. Let's assume we have a parent and child. The parent retains posession of the car weekdays, but lives less than 5 minutes drive away. The child uses more KM than the parent, but only drives it the occasional weekday evening and/or weekend day.

Who is the "primary" driver? When I was younger this was essentially the case (I split insurance costs with my mom, but she was listed as the primary driver). It was just an intellectual game we played and the ICBC agent we asked couldn't give us a real answer and just suggested we leave my mom on the insurance regardless.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^technically i would presume its the one with the more KM...because it determines the amount of time the car is actually on the road..and of course the one that drives the car the most time on the road is more susceptible to being in an accident
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
I don't get it

Am I the only one that is suprised at how uninformed the police officer was?
alwaysideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
Why'd you do that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Question. Let's assume we have a parent and child. The parent retains posession of the car weekdays, but lives less than 5 minutes drive away. The child uses more KM than the parent, but only drives it the occasional weekday evening and/or weekend day.

Who is the "primary" driver? When I was younger this was essentially the case (I split insurance costs with my mom, but she was listed as the primary driver). It was just an intellectual game we played and the ICBC agent we asked couldn't give us a real answer and just suggested we leave my mom on the insurance regardless.
I'm going to have to say the parent is the primary driver because they are using the car MOST of the time. Insurance agents would usually ask who uses the car more. So, by my interpretation skills, i think that means by who uses the car longer....
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #17
I'm invisible

I recommend insurance brokers to ask who has control of the vehicle most of the time instead of using km's
Posted via RS Mobile
Edison_Chen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

From my understanding it's the based on time/possession not distance. Therefore in your case it would be the parent.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

Does the "parent" and "child" live 5mins apart? Or do you mean the destination the "parent" go to all the time..is less than 5 minutes away?

Cause I remember there's a thread. Using your above scenario + the fact:
- Parent's is at work Monday-Friday
- Car is left at home
- the "Child" goes to school...and get off at 3pm, where the "parent" don't usually come home till 7/8pm

ICBC would say the "Child" is the primary driver...since he have the "access" to the car more. Even if the car is just sitting in the driveway / garage.
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

51% statement above is correct. However, ICBC will also consider claim history as well when they are suspecting that the "child" is driving more if the child are always involved in accidents - doesn't matter whether you are at fault or not.

In your case, just ignore the cop. He is just clueless.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #21
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysideways View Post
Am I the only one that is suprised at how uninformed the police officer was?
Yes
n0ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
well from where i buy my insurance they can add a secondary driver name's down for another $100. thats where my source is coming from.
Pssst... you're getting ripped off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:

It's probably safer to have the child listed as the principal operator in this case. The child would be lower on the CRS, and would have the higher premium.

The biggest reason behind ICBC bringing in the principal operator was so they could curb the practice of people with high discounts insuring the car in their name and then giving the car to someone with low/no discount to drive.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
It's probably safest to ask ICBC, actually. When you insure a car, they'll generally ask if the owner is the principle operator... that would be a good time to pose the scenario and ask how they'd determine PO vs. RO. (If the Autoplan agent isn't sure, have them call ICBC to be sure).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote