REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Try this lawyer.

My friend got off his DUI from him.

Great Lawyer.

Paul Doroshenko

he is the best DUI lawyer in lower mainland.
Great Friend
Advertisement
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #27
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

OP suck it up and take your punishment. If you blew a FAIL you got off far lighter than you deserve.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #28
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The system is messed up for DUI....Instead of putting a permanent record on someone and possibly ruining a person's life forever, they should make him go through alcohol counseling( under his own expense) then community work for a year. If he really puts the effort in and wants to change, then he should have the opportunity to prove himself since nobody got hurt, and he is showing remorse for it. Everybody makes mistake in life, and the OP made a big one but I would rather see him become a productive person in society then someone that could end up with a dead end job or living off our tax dollars because of this mistake.
It's the same way when the government opened the safe injection sites.... instead of supplying the drugs they should be helping them get off it. I would love to see more effort in job creation and addiction counseling for them.

Last edited by hillmar; 03-14-2011 at 04:17 PM.
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #29
Retired Traffic Cop

Well, believe it or not, that's sort of what the new system does. There's a penalty for doing it, counselling/assessment for behaviour and an ignition interlock to follow up for a year. No criminal record, just a driving record. You can still go to Disneyland.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #30
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Well, believe it or not, that's sort of what the new system does. There's a penalty for doing it, counselling/assessment for behaviour and an ignition interlock to follow up for a year. No criminal record, just a driving record. You can still go to Disneyland.
It's good to know that its only a driving record and not a criminal record. The way the thread was going, it sounded like it was a criminal record.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
No criminal record, just a driving record.
Even though it's still a criminal offence.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #32
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You can still go to Disneyland.[/QUOTE]

Can I pleeeeeeeease Daddy?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
It's vaguely disturbing to see zulu calling skidmark "Daddy"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
How much did you drink?

Would a pint of beer put me over? (190 lbs)
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #35
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
How much did you drink?

Posted via RS Mobile
Would a pint of beer put you over 0.08? No.

There are plenty of alcohol calculator's online. Try them to approximate what it would be like. You have to drink quite a bit of beer to get over 0.08
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
How much did you drink?

Posted via RS Mobile
PROBABLY not... the whole reason they use BAC% rather than just "I had X number of drinks" to determine sobriety, is that different bodies metabolize alcohol differently, not just by weight.
Quote:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #37
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
It's vaguely disturbing to see zulu calling skidmark "Daddy"...
Actually, considering that I"m older than him...might it be less disturbing if it was him calling ME Daddy?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #38
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I've actually been thinking about getting one of those battery operated breathalyzers to keep in my glove box, that way I can have 1-2 drinks and then confirm I'm well within safe limits before driving. How accurate are they, anyone know?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I've actually been thinking about getting one of those battery operated breathalyzers to keep in my glove box, that way I can have 1-2 drinks and then confirm I'm well within safe limits before driving. How accurate are they, anyone know?
Save your money, don't drink and drive

They fall out of calibration too easily. How are you going to verify that it displays an accurate BAC reading?

What if it shows you have a BAC of .03 yet you blow a .05 at the roadside?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #40
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Unless you're paying out a couple of thousand for that breathalyzer and are getting it maintained regularly, I wouldn't bother.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #41
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Save your money, don't drink and drive

They fall out of calibration too easily. How are you going to verify that it displays an accurate BAC reading?

What if it shows you have a BAC of .03 yet you blow a .05 at the roadside?
Good Advice.

I rarely drink and drive, if I do it's never more than two and I wait at least 3-4 hours before I get behind the wheel. It would just be nice to have extra peace of mind, but I'll save my money.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #42
RS Peace Officer

The official ASD's cosdt a lot of $$$, are maintained and recalibrated every 2 weeks. even then their accuracy is called into questiion by defence lawyers all the time. With that knowledge given to you, do you want to bet your DL, your car and a criminal record on something you bought for a few bucks that rattles around in your glove box?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #43
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The official ASD's cosdt a lot of $$$, are maintained and recalibrated every 2 weeks. even then their accuracy is called into questiion by defence lawyers all the time. With that knowledge given to you, do you want to bet your DL, your car and a criminal record on something you bought for a few bucks that rattles around in your glove box?
I wasn't hoping they would be 100% accurate, just enough to tell me if I'm below 0.01. As I stated, if I drink and drive then its very little and with several hours left in between, so it's not really a matter of losing my license or a criminal record in my case. I was just thinking of buying one for my own self-assurance.

I've never been breathalyzed or even pulled over for suspicion of DUI, so I wasn't sure if the machine is something small and simple or big and expensive.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #44
I bringith the lowerballerith

http://www.alcopro.com/mm5/merchant....oduct_Code=206

$740US for the instrument plus about $500US in accessories for calibrating.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #45
RS Peace Officer

Plus the training course to actually be able to accurately calibrate it. Not sure where you would get that? Then you would need a course in how to properly use the instrument so that you got accurate readings and that you understood rising or falling levels and how that affects what is displayed....and where would you get this course as well? Take 3 quick drinks and then test your levels say 10 minutes later....then wait 30 minutes and test it again and you will get hugely different readings from the same intake of alcohol. All would be needed to be able to rely on the displayed readings being accurate.

It would be much more accurate if you used an on-line BAC calculator with the test results set for your gender, weight, food consumption etc...then add more time to be safe. Too big a consequence if you rely on a cheap ASD.
http://caaneo.ca/about/blog/blood-alcohol-calculator
Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #46
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post

That's an interesting link.
It says that if I have 1.5L of beer in an hour, I'm at a BAC Percentage:0.0717

The thing is, I've been driving for a lot of years, and also drinking for a lot of years, although not at the same time. .0717 is less than what the OP blew, but there's no fiving way I would ever drive with that much alcohol intake.

It's amazing just how drunk you are at .08, even though you may not recognize it.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #47
I am grateful grapefruit

I think people are surprised as to how people just don't plan ahead. I've seen many friends try to get in their car and drive home even when they're drunk - because they just didn't plan on getting that drunk - but are too lazy to leave their car at the bar and taxi home. It's like speeding - people don't think they're going to get caught - but obviously drinking and driving is a lot more serious!
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggermouth View Post
And I can't believe there's lawyers for DUI's. That's brutal. One guy I know got off because the lawyer saw the cop wrote down the wrong time. So, cool, he can drink and drive again and possibly kill someone I care about. Awesome, hey?
Best post so far! Great point.
Birchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggermouth View Post
And I can't believe there's lawyers for DUI's. That's brutal. One guy I know got off because the lawyer saw the cop wrote down the wrong time. So, cool, he can drink and drive again and possibly kill someone I care about. Awesome, hey?
Of course, the other side of this coin is that the system is in place to keep cops, not just honest, but from getting lazy. Forcing them to be accurate in every ticket they write is not a bad thing, in itself.

My wife told me a story out of a Chicago suburb, from when she was growing up around there... of a county cop who locked his radar gun on a high speed reading, then proceeded to pull over a steady stream of cars and write them speeding tickets, even being to thoughtful as to show them the reading "to prove they were speeding". Naturally, a large number of people disputed those tickets, all of which had the same speed listed on them. When the judge started seeing more and more tickets coming through, from the same cop, on the same day, with the same speed... he thought things seemed a little hinky and dug a bit deeper. In the end, ALL the tickets were dismissed (they even contacted those who didn't dispute), and the cop was severely smacked down by his department. It's likely some of those people WERE speeding, too, but because the cop didn't do his job PROPERLY, they were let off the hook.

Urban myth, or extreme example of a lazy cop? The wife tells me it was reported in their local paper at the time it happened, and was quite the buzz on the news for a few days.

In any case, it illustrates that cops DO have to be held accountable for accuracy in their jobs.
Quote:
Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
In any case, it illustrates that cops DO have to be held accountable for accuracy in their jobs.
That may only illustrate as far as things go in the US, Canada is quite far far from there.
Birchum is offline   Reply With Quote