REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm going in May, and luckily my flight lands in Haneda
Posted via RS Mobile
Definitely MUCH better to take HKG-HND flights instead of HKG-NRT. Traffic is horrendous, and the cost is much higher too.
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i'm sched to be in japan april 1st, what do you guys think? cancel my flight? or think it'll be fine in two-three weeks?

i'll be in central tokyo area
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

I'm going May 1st to Tokyo and I'm wondering the same thing. Most concerning is the radiation leaks.
Posted via RS Mobile
stuff99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #29

I'd wait out to see what happens w/ the nuclear power plant in fukushima. Worse case scenario if there is a melt-down & winds are blowing in the wrong directions they are saying it will effect Tokyo.

I'm suppose to go end of this month to Japan & making a stop either on the way there or way back from Fukuoka. Not even certain if I can go via Incheon...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
My plans for May are still on, unless I hear otherwise from an actual reliable source (IE the Japanese government advises people not to enter their country) rather than some whacky news company trying to scare us with crazy headlines.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i'm gonna hold off....damn it i miss my maid's again
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #32

Well I've just cancelled my hotel...my flight will be next on Monday. Sad.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #33

Why?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #34

Because they're still having trouble containing the reactors. If it's not the radiation, its the possible food contamination.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #35

No they're not. There's no radiation coming from them that will get anywhere near tokyo, nor is there any food coming out of that area. And even if there is, the amount of radiation wouldn't be dangerous anyway.

It amazes me how paranoid and ignorant people here are
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #36

If I go on vacation I don't want to experience rolling blackouts in the city I'm at, expose myself to "low levels" of radiation when I don't have to.

Also because Canadian government said this:

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to Tokyo, its surrounding areas and northern Honshu due to damages caused by the March 11 earthquake and subsequent tsunamis.

The earthquake caused extensive damage to infrastructure in the northeastern prefectures of the country. Power and telecommunications have been disrupted. Transportation routes, emergency and medical care, as well as water, food, and fuel supplies may also be affected. Canadians travelling to affected areas should contact their airline or tour operator to determine whether the situation will disrupt travel arrangements. They should also exercise caution, monitor local news and weather reports, and follow the advice of local authorities.

The Tokyo region also experienced significant shaking. Travellers should be aware that transportation routes and telecommunications systems could be affected in some areas. Rolling blackouts are in effect. Travel to and from Narita International Airport may be difficult.

I'm not paranoid or ignorant. You don't see me lining up to buy salt but I'd rather not deal with this stuff on vacation with my family.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #37

Who says there are rolling blackouts? Who says there is radiation? The very site you are basing your judgement on says "There is no radiation health risk to Canadians travelling into or out of Japan, provided they have not been within the evacuation zone established by Japan"

You're being scared and paranoid. Those "non essential travel" warnings are just a formality.

Too bad, you're going to miss out on a great experience going to Japan for the first time, and Japan will miss out on much needed tourism revenue, as you are definitely not alone in your ignorance and paranoia

If your parents are the ones freaking out, I understand that. But you should be helping them understand reality, not just buying into their fear and hysteria.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #38

Unless they start cancelling flights I'm still going end of this month.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #39

Rolling blackouts article:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=6305593

PS I've been to Tokyo and Kyoto before and I loved it and I would like to go again.

They're not running out of food and supplies are increasing by why travel to a place that is not functioning at 100% at the moment?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...aeon-says.html

Maybe things will change by the time it hits May 1st but I can't sit idle...gotta make alternate plans.

It's not like everything is open and functioning in Tokyo as if nothing's happened either:

http://www.styleite.com/retail/tokyo-stores-reopen/

Stores are just slowly reopening.

Last edited by stuff99; 03-22-2011 at 10:44 AM.
stuff99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #40
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I was just speaking with a few people recently:

-Guy who cuts my hair just went back to Japan to visit family just before the earthquake hit. His hometown is in Sendai. He'll be there with family for at least a month now because of the disaster. So instead of having him cut my hair, had another girl cut my hair yesterday and she told me that her family is from the Tokyo area and there have been difficulties getting food plus there is the problem of rolling blackouts too. She says her family is doing ok, but have to worry about those things I mentioned.

-My coworker's wife has family in Sendai as well. Fortunately the tsunami didn't reach far enough in-land to hit their family home, but they are experiencing blackouts and food shortages. Again, they are doing well but worry about daily basic necessities.

....so question is, you're on vacation and you're travelling for fun. Do you want to go to a place where there is a struggle to even have basic necessities for the locals?
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #41

He was going to Tokyo, not Sendai. Nobody in their right mind would go there for vacation right now.

And the article you posted about blackouts says they barely have to do them, and will only be doing them when necessary for another week.

I'll just leave it at at that, and give you a great big to end with I know you're not an idiot. You're just falling for the hysteria and negativity. Sorry to hear that it ruined your trip
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #42
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
He was going to Tokyo, not Sendai. Nobody in their right mind would go there for vacation right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitron View Post
she told me that her family is from the Tokyo area and there have been difficulties getting food plus there is the problem of rolling blackouts too. She says her family is doing ok, but have to worry about those things I mentioned.
Dude, normally I would commend you on your attention to detail...but I did mention that this is a statement regarding Tokyo.

I hope everyone does get to go enjoy what they want to enjoy. Bottom line is, I hope that people who have lost loved ones and also currently struggling there to cope with the losses and just trying to survive...can actually survive. Where people choose to go to for their vacation...that's all secondary to people just trying to get back to their normal lives.
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #43
I am Hook'd on RS

funny...... tokyo area has zero food shortages and all stores have re-opened. Have friends there and they have literally said the earthquake sucked but life is normal the day after (except some buildings have cracks and some roads are getting repaired).

Life is normal in tokyo..... dont beleive the media hype and bs.

dont go to sendai.... simple.
Browny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #44
I am Hook'd on RS

btw official update

"Radiation health effects are related to the magnitude and duration of exposure. Tourists returning from Japan may have been exposed to low levels of radiation associated with contaminants released from damaged nuclear reactors. Low level radiation exposure produces no physical symptoms. There is no specific health test available for low level radiation exposure and no medical treatment is required."

"Tourists remaining in Japan should not travel into the official evacuation or shelter in place zones. As a precautionary measure, it is recommended that tourists within an 80 km radius of the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant move out of the area."

So its recommended (not saying its a must) dont live within 80kms radius..... it also states dont eat food stored in the Fukushima Power Plant (wtf....???).

aka..... radiation isnt bad..... quit over reacting.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #45
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitron View Post
Dude, normally I would commend you on your attention to detail...but I did mention that this is a statement regarding Tokyo.

I hope everyone does get to go enjoy what they want to enjoy. Bottom line is, I hope that people who have lost loved ones and also currently struggling there to cope with the losses and just trying to survive...can actually survive. Where people choose to go to for their vacation...that's all secondary to people just trying to get back to their normal lives.
The rolling blackout part was true though, they were having trouble even a few weeks after the incident
ImpactZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #46
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

anyone over there right now? i'm supposed to fly there march 31st and i'm having a huge problem changing my flights!!
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #47
I am Hook'd on RS

u cant change ur flights without a fee.

reason from airlines: no reasons to change. No official warning not to travel and no threat to passengers at travel destination.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #48

not true. cathay pacific is offering 100% refund.

"
Due to rapidly changing situation in Japan after the recent earthquake, with immediate effect customers holding tickets issued on or before 11March 2011 with departure to/from Narita/ Haneda/ Osaka/ Fukuoka/ Nagoya/ Sapporo/ Okinawa for travel between 11 March 2011 and 30 June 2011 are eligible for a refund. All refund charges will be waived. Refunds are applicable to all tickets regardless of fare type, including those sold in special sales promotions. The refund application should be made on or before 08 April 2011.

Customers who wish to reroute or rebook their existing ticket please refer below for further information.

Due to earthquake in Japan, with immediate effect, rebooking / rerouting charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (irrespective of fare type) on/before 11 March 2011 for travel on Cathay Pacific / Dragonair with confirmed booking involving Narita / Haneda / Kansai / Fukuoka / Chubu Centrair / New Chitose / Okinawa between 11 March 2011 and 30 June 2011."

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...000ad21c39____
Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #49
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
well my girlfriend's parents just said no.

GG my summer planes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #50

I'm actually amazed that my wife's mom is still going with us. She's very typical in her paranoia of things like this. But she also trusts my judgment, and we've been explaining the situation to her. She did book a hotel in kyoto as a backup nonetheless
Posted via RS Mobile