REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

re: where can single unemployed mothers get help from?

Hope I am writing in the correct section, if not please correct.

I am looking for information for single mothers as well as unemployed. Information such as:

-EI
-Support from government?
-any other support?
Advertisement
tecra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

This depends hugely on your age and situation.

Are you having a baby? Have you had a baby? Have you been abandoned? Are you getting divorced?

In General:

If you're on your own completely you need to go down to the family welfare and get on support immediately. They will also give you a list of resources. These people will also help subsidize your daycare costs when you find work.

You also need to contact BC Housing IMMEDIATELY and get on their lists ASAP. You can get a subsidy until you can get into housing. Your rent will be adjusted depending on your income.

Secondly you need to make an appointment with an employment resource center (I used RDK when I first found myself on my own). They'll refer you to a job search program that will fit your needs.

EI: Will only help you if you've been working and are leaving for Mat leave or have been laid off. If this is the case you're in good shape, they don't give you much but they'll help you with retraining.

Others: Depending where you are in the city there's a lot of programs around to help tangentally. In Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows they have a fantastic family support program for example. In Vancouver there's the YMCA.

A lot of the community centers offer free or very low cost passes to low income families as well. I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of this, it will not only provide you with some free/cheap recreation, but getting out of your house and staying active is crucial to keeping your head on straight in a situation that can seem really dire.

Lastly Family/Support Network: I know they saved my butt when I suddenly found myself all alone with a baby. The more you have here the better, and even if they can't help you out financially, there's a lot they can do for you.

Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to discuss my experiences or help you find resources.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Thank for your response, I sent you a PM.
tecra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Church is a good place with support groups. United way is a great place to seek help. They had two single mothers who went through a troubled past and presented us with who they are at my old firm and we picked them up as a client. They might not provide direct monetary support, but they can certainly offer supplimentary support like day care and the likes while you work (when single mothers are employed again).

God Speed.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
all day, everyday

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
This depends hugely on your age and situation.

Are you having a baby? Have you had a baby? Have you been abandoned? Are you getting divorced?

You also need to contact BC Housing IMMEDIATELY and get on their lists ASAP. You can get a subsidy until you can get into housing. Your rent will be adjusted depending on your income.
don;t forget to use www.metrovancouver.org a much better low-income solution to housing for families, i have worked with both organizations and mv is waaaaaaay better and they both do the same thing, but still apply for bchsg as well.

Also use
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/a...es/index.shtml

and don;t forget that even if you have a job the gov't (welfare) will subsidize a portion of the costs for daycare/preschool (based on income, though if you make more than the threshold you're SOL) though this may fall under child tax benefit i think

and one question, where's the dickhead???? cuz seriously the RS beatdown crew could use some action, deadbeat dickheads beware!

CONGRATS and good luck to you (or whoever is the mom-to-be) don't be afraid to ask in here for help
Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Founder, RS Veteran

http://www.ywcavan.org/content/WOMEN...R_FAMILIES/113
YWCA - See single mother resources...

Also tap into the Vancouver Food Bank for food

Red Book is also a good search directory for non-profits or community groups
http://redbookonline.bc211.ca/bc/goHome?langInd=E

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: