REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
travel adapter for laptop

Will be traveling to a country that uses 220v electricity. I need to be able to use my 110v laptop there. Where can i find an adapter and is there a proper name for it?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
BCAA, Canadian Tire, London Drugs, Best Buy, blah blah blah.

Fact is, your laptop adapter probably already supports inputs anywhere from 100V to 240V or so (check the label on it), and all you need is something to adapt to the different plug format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
^ it says input: 100v-240v ...

*so all i gotta do is find a plug adapter and it will step up the voltage by itself?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

Correct. All the above-listed places sell them, as well as about half the shops you'll find in every airport terminal.
Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
I am grateful grapefruit

I've found that most electrical chargers or whatnot usually auto-adjust for voltage. Except for my DS - which sucked until I got one that charges it through USB. When I travel, I usually have like 6 different chargers - Laptop, DSLR, P+S, DS, MP3 Player, Phone...

I'll usually get one plug adaptor that goes from *insert UK/Euro/etc* to a regular US plug, then I got a 3-way plug from a dollar store here, so I could plug in a few more things.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Most adapters these days are PWM-switching type power supplies, which allows them to take just about any input voltage and regulate it properly.
Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
which country are you going to? the plug adapters are usually easy to find and much cheaper overseas compared to here.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
I am grateful grapefruit

If you're going on vacation - get them here. No sense spending half a day trying to find a dollar store in a foreign country, trying to save a few bucks.

Just don't buy them at a travel store here. Check out places like Dollar Stores, and Daiso, etc. Those universal adaptors are bulky, but they're great if you're hitting a few different countries with different plugs - PLUS, they're harder to misplace.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
it doesn't necessarily take half a day. depending on which country he's going to (especially asia and SE asia), you can find them easily and only cost a few bucks.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I was surprised that I could just plug it right into the socket when I was in China last year. Their sockets are designed to accept several plug styles.