REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Translink annual pass (craigslist) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/637753-translink-annual-pass-craigslist.html)

Acura604 02-15-2011 11:35 AM

Translink annual pass (craigslist)

Just wondering... i've been seeing alot of translink annual passes for sale on craigslist. They feature some kind of number indicating a year (birthdate) and Sex (m/f) but no photo. So what happens? does the driver check your ID to confirm you were born in that year OR do they guess you're that old lol?

example:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...206330335.html

Gumby 02-15-2011 11:43 AM

Seller just bought a car, but needs money for rent. :lol

MelonBoy 02-15-2011 12:00 PM

fake much?... i wonder if anyone would fall for this -_-

Graeme S 02-15-2011 01:18 PM

Translink put up a lot of wtb and fs upass ads awhile ago. Hello sting operation.
Posted via RS Mobile

InvisibleSoul 02-15-2011 01:51 PM

Not sure what kind of pass this is, but then annual Translink pass that I got through work has no photo either, but has my name and company on it. No age or sex though.

I've never had to verify my identity with it for the couple hundred times I've used it. I think you're supposed to validate the pass by putting it in the machine, but I've never ever done that either... just flash it at the bus driver, and that's it.

TheKingdom2000 02-15-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 7306360)
Translink put up a lot of wtb and fs upass ads awhile ago. Hello sting operation.
Posted via RS Mobile

what happens if you're caught buying or selling a upass?
i can see if you're selling they can take it away from you and put you on a "black" list.
But, what if you're buying?

That is pretty cheap for a whole year.
I think that's as much as a upass.

I pay $99/month here in TO and that's with their student plan...

Acura604 02-15-2011 02:00 PM

Just spoke with a bus driver friend of mine..these are also known as
'welfare passes'. specially priced for low income individuals AND
mentally disabled.

What usually happens is that the recipients of this pass, on welfare, will
sell it on craigslist .. pocket the profit and claim they lost it and get another one.

wow.. lol. but good deal.

Shun Izaki 02-15-2011 03:49 PM

just use the fasttrax awesome sticker... best loophole evar

drunkrussian 02-15-2011 05:29 PM

old ppl have them but i am with a company who is part of the anual pass program which lets u buy an annual price at any age with it coming outta each paycheck. they have a right to make u prove u work for a particular company or sth tho if they ever stop u woth it, but yeah dot think they ever would lol. so if it has a company name thats the maybe what it is?
Posted via RS Mobile

twitchyzero 02-15-2011 10:14 PM

$125..that's like cheaper than a u-pass
i didnt think there were anything cheaper than a u-pass unless you were a senior citizen

drunkrussian 02-16-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7307152)
$125..that's like cheaper than a u-pass
i didnt think there were anything cheaper than a u-pass unless you were a senior citizen

dont sfu construction workers get them super cheap too? i rmbr friend bought off a construction dude once
Posted via RS Mobile

jpoon 02-16-2011 11:57 AM

I have never heard of these bus passes before...and these aren't upasses I'm assuming. More info please.

And that ad doesn't seem sketch, because you can't be charged/fined for buying a bus pass. You're just purchasing a bus pass to get around. Not like you're doing anything illegal. Who knows, someone could mistaken them for those monthly bus passes. So I don't think this is a sting lol.

dignatas 02-16-2011 04:06 PM

i used those passes which last one full year last year. It showed a name and age and disability. I just kept it in my wallet in the case where it shows the front only. I was never caught in skytrain or bus for a full year except one time!! :fullofwin: I know i was risking it but it is VERY hard to catch you. Only reason why I was caught once is because the bus driver was a nosy bitch, most of the time they don't even check it. They are mostly in a rush when driving

edit: when i got caught once, they said u are disabled and 30 years old? I am in low 20's. I just said my uncle gave it and i had no clue and the bus driver said its fine afterwords lolol

Graeme S 02-16-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdp (Post 7307747)
I have never heard of these bus passes before...and these aren't upasses I'm assuming. More info please.

And that ad doesn't seem sketch, because you can't be charged/fined for buying a bus pass. You're just purchasing a bus pass to get around. Not like you're doing anything illegal. Who knows, someone could mistaken them for those monthly bus passes. So I don't think this is a sting lol.

Normal passes are no big deal; you're paying for unlimited use. Upasses and these passes are subsidized. One of my buddies had an employer-pass, the company arranged for everyone to get mobey taken out of their cheques at a 10% discount. On the pass it specifically said something like "own-use, non-transferrable".

When you get a group/discount/subsidized deal, it no longer becomes just another transit fare.
Posted via RS Mobile

baggdis300 02-16-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shun Izaki (Post 7306556)
just use the fasttrax awesome sticker... best loophole evar

the upass is MUCH cheaper, as you need to spend 81$ on a 1 zone pass, while upass is 30$ per month, unlimited use

Rogue951 02-16-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dignatas (Post 7308008)
i used those passes which last one full year last year. It showed a name and age and disability. I just kept it in my wallet in the case where it shows the front only. I was never caught in skytrain or bus for a full year except one time!! :fullofwin: I know i was risking it but it is VERY hard to catch you. Only reason why I was caught once is because the bus driver was a nosy bitch, most of the time they don't even check it. They are mostly in a rush when driving

edit: when i got caught once, they said u are disabled and 30 years old? I am in low 20's. I just said my uncle gave it and i had no clue and the bus driver said its fine afterwords lolol

Driver's not being a nosy bitch they have every right to check your pass. The ONLY reason that drivers don't check each and every pass is because it would take so long the system would come to a stand still. (e.g. B-line loading.)

And thanks for being part of the cause of rising bus fares by not paying your way.

You laugh when drivers let you(I mean the general population) get away with a fake pass, insufficent fare, NO fare. It's done for the RIDER's benefit. If drivers enforced everything wrong the buses simply would not move.

The sad part is Translink believes everyone is a good soul, will pay their owed fare, and the correct amount of zones. The Honor system doesn't work in a society lacking it.

Inaii 02-24-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 7308057)
Normal passes are no big deal; you're paying for unlimited use. Upasses and these passes are subsidized. One of my buddies had an employer-pass, the company arranged for everyone to get mobey taken out of their cheques at a 10% discount. On the pass it specifically said something like "own-use, non-transferrable".

When you get a group/discount/subsidized deal, it no longer becomes just another transit fare.
Posted via RS Mobile

i believe even the full fares state on the back that it is non-transferable.
and at the stations there are signs saying it is illegal to give your still-valid ticket to someone else.

Raid3n 02-24-2011 02:45 PM

^ffs

forgot to change accounts...

Graeme S 02-24-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 7318043)
i believe even the full fares state on the back that it is non-transferable.
and at the stations there are signs saying it is illegal to give your still-valid ticket to someone else.

Transit Tickets, yes. Transit passes, no.

Quoted from my 2-zone pass' conditions of use:
Quote:

7. This farecard is transferable.
Posted via RS Mobile

Acura604 03-06-2011 08:28 AM

Finally a good response posted on craiglist for all the sellers trying to
Unload this pass onto unsuspecting buyers:

This guy / girl is stupid! Don't fall for their explanation of a yearly transit pass!
First off, the year of birth is clearly visible on the front of the pass, so if you were born in 1968 and the year of birth is 1946, then obviously, you are going to be questioned! That would make you 65 not 43! Also the owner's name in on the front of the pass. YES you CAN Be Asked for Your ID by Transit Cops! If you cannot prove you are the owner, you will be charged with fraud! The owners' personal case number is on the card. The police can easily check to see who the owner is. You had better be able to prove you did not steal this pass! The owner can easily say they lost it!
If the owner did sell this pass, they will be charged with Fraud! If you can prove you bought it from the owner, you might get off easy, but the owner won't! If you move out of the province, the pass must be returned to Translink! Yes, the owner pays $47.00 per year for this pass, and they must either be on disability or a low income senior! If the owner dies, the pass needs to be returned to Translink!
Another thing you owners of bus passes should know. Translink constantly monitors Craigslist and other sites watching for these passes being sold! You might think your smart by meeting someone at a skytrain station or somewhere to sell the pass, but you could be selling it to an undercover Translink worker/ Cop!!!
Those are the FAQS!!!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posted via RS Mobile

Mr.HappySilp 03-06-2011 10:19 AM

One of my co-workers haven't paid a penny for using the skytrain for a few years now.

He usually keep a pack of fares 9those tranist ticket that comes in packs of 10) in his wallet. If he gets caught while on the skytrain he just pretends he doesn't know you have to valident them or just said the machines at the station he got he is broken. Never had an issue.

One time the skytrain cops were checking tickects at boardway he just run on a train while the skytrain cops keep yelling for him to come back but didn't chase him lol.

I got the bus pass coz I always use the bus. But is too expensive since I have to use a 2 zone pass even though I live like 1 station away from the zone boundary.

I really wish the system would change and it actuallys charge you per station you are on rather then by zones.

DsZ24 03-06-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 7331070)

I really wish the system would change and it actuallys charge you per station you are on rather then by zones.

There was talk of charging people per distance travelled when the new smart cards come out in a few years. Guess we'll have to wait and see