REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Translink annual pass (craigslist)

Just wondering... i've been seeing alot of translink annual passes for sale on craigslist. They feature some kind of number indicating a year (birthdate) and Sex (m/f) but no photo. So what happens? does the driver check your ID to confirm you were born in that year OR do they guess you're that old lol?

example:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...206330335.html
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,185 Posts
Seller just bought a car, but needs money for rent.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

fake much?... i wonder if anyone would fall for this -_-
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Translink put up a lot of wtb and fs upass ads awhile ago. Hello sting operation.
Posted via RS Mobile
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Not sure what kind of pass this is, but then annual Translink pass that I got through work has no photo either, but has my name and company on it. No age or sex though.

I've never had to verify my identity with it for the couple hundred times I've used it. I think you're supposed to validate the pass by putting it in the machine, but I've never ever done that either... just flash it at the bus driver, and that's it.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Translink put up a lot of wtb and fs upass ads awhile ago. Hello sting operation.
Posted via RS Mobile

what happens if you're caught buying or selling a upass?
i can see if you're selling they can take it away from you and put you on a "black" list.
But, what if you're buying?

That is pretty cheap for a whole year.
I think that's as much as a upass.

I pay $99/month here in TO and that's with their student plan...
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #7

Just spoke with a bus driver friend of mine..these are also known as
'welfare passes'. specially priced for low income individuals AND
mentally disabled.

What usually happens is that the recipients of this pass, on welfare, will
sell it on craigslist .. pocket the profit and claim they lost it and get another one.

wow.. lol. but good deal.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

just use the fasttrax awesome sticker... best loophole evar
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #9

old ppl have them but i am with a company who is part of the anual pass program which lets u buy an annual price at any age with it coming outta each paycheck. they have a right to make u prove u work for a particular company or sth tho if they ever stop u woth it, but yeah dot think they ever would lol. so if it has a company name thats the maybe what it is?
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by drunkrussian; 02-15-2011 at 07:58 PM.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
$125..that's like cheaper than a u-pass
i didnt think there were anything cheaper than a u-pass unless you were a senior citizen
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
$125..that's like cheaper than a u-pass
i didnt think there were anything cheaper than a u-pass unless you were a senior citizen
dont sfu construction workers get them super cheap too? i rmbr friend bought off a construction dude once
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I have never heard of these bus passes before...and these aren't upasses I'm assuming. More info please.

And that ad doesn't seem sketch, because you can't be charged/fined for buying a bus pass. You're just purchasing a bus pass to get around. Not like you're doing anything illegal. Who knows, someone could mistaken them for those monthly bus passes. So I don't think this is a sting lol.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

i used those passes which last one full year last year. It showed a name and age and disability. I just kept it in my wallet in the case where it shows the front only. I was never caught in skytrain or bus for a full year except one time!! I know i was risking it but it is VERY hard to catch you. Only reason why I was caught once is because the bus driver was a nosy bitch, most of the time they don't even check it. They are mostly in a rush when driving

edit: when i got caught once, they said u are disabled and 30 years old? I am in low 20's. I just said my uncle gave it and i had no clue and the bus driver said its fine afterwords lolol
dignatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp View Post
I have never heard of these bus passes before...and these aren't upasses I'm assuming. More info please.

And that ad doesn't seem sketch, because you can't be charged/fined for buying a bus pass. You're just purchasing a bus pass to get around. Not like you're doing anything illegal. Who knows, someone could mistaken them for those monthly bus passes. So I don't think this is a sting lol.
Normal passes are no big deal; you're paying for unlimited use. Upasses and these passes are subsidized. One of my buddies had an employer-pass, the company arranged for everyone to get mobey taken out of their cheques at a 10% discount. On the pass it specifically said something like "own-use, non-transferrable".

When you get a group/discount/subsidized deal, it no longer becomes just another transit fare.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post
just use the fasttrax awesome sticker... best loophole evar
the upass is MUCH cheaper, as you need to spend 81$ on a 1 zone pass, while upass is 30$ per month, unlimited use
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignatas View Post
i used those passes which last one full year last year. It showed a name and age and disability. I just kept it in my wallet in the case where it shows the front only. I was never caught in skytrain or bus for a full year except one time!! I know i was risking it but it is VERY hard to catch you. Only reason why I was caught once is because the bus driver was a nosy bitch, most of the time they don't even check it. They are mostly in a rush when driving

edit: when i got caught once, they said u are disabled and 30 years old? I am in low 20's. I just said my uncle gave it and i had no clue and the bus driver said its fine afterwords lolol

Driver's not being a nosy bitch they have every right to check your pass. The ONLY reason that drivers don't check each and every pass is because it would take so long the system would come to a stand still. (e.g. B-line loading.)

And thanks for being part of the cause of rising bus fares by not paying your way.

You laugh when drivers let you(I mean the general population) get away with a fake pass, insufficent fare, NO fare. It's done for the RIDER's benefit. If drivers enforced everything wrong the buses simply would not move.

The sad part is Translink believes everyone is a good soul, will pay their owed fare, and the correct amount of zones. The Honor system doesn't work in a society lacking it.
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Normal passes are no big deal; you're paying for unlimited use. Upasses and these passes are subsidized. One of my buddies had an employer-pass, the company arranged for everyone to get mobey taken out of their cheques at a 10% discount. On the pass it specifically said something like "own-use, non-transferrable".

When you get a group/discount/subsidized deal, it no longer becomes just another transit fare.
Posted via RS Mobile
i believe even the full fares state on the back that it is non-transferable.
and at the stations there are signs saying it is illegal to give your still-valid ticket to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
^ffs

forgot to change accounts...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #19
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
i believe even the full fares state on the back that it is non-transferable.
and at the stations there are signs saying it is illegal to give your still-valid ticket to someone else.
Transit Tickets, yes. Transit passes, no.

Quoted from my 2-zone pass' conditions of use:
Quote:
7. This farecard is transferable.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #20

Finally a good response posted on craiglist for all the sellers trying to
Unload this pass onto unsuspecting buyers:

This guy / girl is stupid! Don't fall for their explanation of a yearly transit pass!
First off, the year of birth is clearly visible on the front of the pass, so if you were born in 1968 and the year of birth is 1946, then obviously, you are going to be questioned! That would make you 65 not 43! Also the owner's name in on the front of the pass. YES you CAN Be Asked for Your ID by Transit Cops! If you cannot prove you are the owner, you will be charged with fraud! The owners' personal case number is on the card. The police can easily check to see who the owner is. You had better be able to prove you did not steal this pass! The owner can easily say they lost it!
If the owner did sell this pass, they will be charged with Fraud! If you can prove you bought it from the owner, you might get off easy, but the owner won't! If you move out of the province, the pass must be returned to Translink! Yes, the owner pays $47.00 per year for this pass, and they must either be on disability or a low income senior! If the owner dies, the pass needs to be returned to Translink!
Another thing you owners of bus passes should know. Translink constantly monitors Craigslist and other sites watching for these passes being sold! You might think your smart by meeting someone at a skytrain station or somewhere to sell the pass, but you could be selling it to an undercover Translink worker/ Cop!!!
Those are the FAQS!!!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
One of my co-workers haven't paid a penny for using the skytrain for a few years now.

He usually keep a pack of fares 9those tranist ticket that comes in packs of 10) in his wallet. If he gets caught while on the skytrain he just pretends he doesn't know you have to valident them or just said the machines at the station he got he is broken. Never had an issue.

One time the skytrain cops were checking tickects at boardway he just run on a train while the skytrain cops keep yelling for him to come back but didn't chase him lol.

I got the bus pass coz I always use the bus. But is too expensive since I have to use a 2 zone pass even though I live like 1 station away from the zone boundary.

I really wish the system would change and it actuallys charge you per station you are on rather then by zones.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

I really wish the system would change and it actuallys charge you per station you are on rather then by zones.
There was talk of charging people per distance travelled when the new smart cards come out in a few years. Guess we'll have to wait and see