REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #51
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,133
Thanked 1,768 Times in 683 Posts
I have no idea what the hardness of mine are. They're the new type that's a dual pour as they call it where the middle is hard and the outter is softer. I think i need new wheels as I can feel a slight slip when I skate on sportcourt in Langley. Might be different for me when I try it on cement.
Advertisement
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #52
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
Nvasion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 5,427
Thanked 351 Times in 162 Posts
84a is pretty hard for indoor... i use 76 i believe
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,857
Thanked 264 Times in 133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
K I've noticed theres like 13 tiers???? I've never played organized roller hockey so I have no idea what the skill levels would be like in each tier...Are the platinum/gold/silver tiers really good? How much of a difference would there be between say silver and gold?
How's your hockey background? Since you are looking for a higher div, I would assume you already played some sort of rep/house ice? To give you an idea, platinum is generally the guys who played some sort of organized hockey since they were kids(5 yrs old and up kinda thing) either in ice or roller. I don't know the actual number but probably a few of them played up to JR A/B. A good couple of ice players that played in platinum would be David Jones of Avalache and Gilbert Brule of the Oilers. Although I think Brule was a sub only, where as Jones played the whole season before his rookie year in Colorado. Other good notables (roller tourny players) are Cory Bishop, Jon Woodyard, Kirk French(sponsored by Mission Hockey, not sure if he still is). Pretty much if you feel you can score at will, you will fit into Platinum/Gold.

If you played some good amount of rep/house leagues, then you will be fine in Silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
what grade wheels do you guys use? i have 84a right now and I do not want to get new wheels
Too hard, thats more for outdoor. Indoor is 76a and under.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RevYouUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 1,877 Times in 454 Posts
do they sell roller hockey wheels at scoff's hockey on hastings?

do you guys think it would work if i had 2 76a wheels on the outside and 2 84a wheels in the inside?

Last edited by RevYouUp; 03-31-2011 at 09:00 PM.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #55
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,133
Thanked 1,768 Times in 683 Posts
What's outside and what's inside?
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RevYouUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 1,877 Times in 454 Posts
like (76 84 84 76) is one of my rollerblades 76 being the back wheel and front wheel

Last edited by RevYouUp; 03-31-2011 at 09:40 PM.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #57
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,133
Thanked 1,768 Times in 683 Posts
that is one weird set up. sounds like a rocker chassis? if it is rocker, you're gonna be slipping a bit due to the hard compound in the middle
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #58
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Jgresch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 4,430
Thanked 3,279 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
How's your hockey background? Since you are looking for a higher div, I would assume you already played some sort of rep/house ice? To give you an idea, platinum is generally the guys who played some sort of organized hockey since they were kids(5 yrs old and up kinda thing) either in ice or roller. I don't know the actual number but probably a few of them played up to JR A/B. A good couple of ice players that played in platinum would be David Jones of Avalache and Gilbert Brule of the Oilers. Although I think Brule was a sub only, where as Jones played the whole season before his rookie year in Colorado. Other good notables (roller tourny players) are Cory Bishop, Jon Woodyard, Kirk French(sponsored by Mission Hockey, not sure if he still is). Pretty much if you feel you can score at will, you will fit into Platinum/Gold.

If you played some good amount of rep/house leagues, then you will be fine in Silver.



Too hard, thats more for outdoor. Indoor is 76a and under.
Hm... Ic. I've played roller hockey the last 4 or 5 years on weekends during summer with a set group of guys. It's nothing super intense though.

Maybe I'll come watch a game and see what it's like lol somebody pm me with a game time.

ps. Nobody has a spot open???

edit: @revyouup, you put the two larger wheels in the middle??? isn't that weird as hell to skate on?
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #59
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,133
Thanked 1,768 Times in 683 Posts
Playing hockey outdoors is a different animal compared to indoor. Not saying that you'd suck balls indoor, but saying it's an adjustment. Go to vihl.net n check the schedule out.
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #60
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Jgresch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 4,430
Thanked 3,279 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
Playing hockey outdoors is a different animal compared to indoor. Not saying that you'd suck balls indoor, but saying it's an adjustment. Go to vihl.net n check the schedule out.
I played ice for a long time, and indoor ball hockey for the last 3 years. Actually when I made the jump from ice to ball I couldn't believe how much more tiring it was.

We also rented planet ice a couple times so our roller hockey guys could scrimmage against some actual teams. I should of asked what teir they were. But I knwo what you mean, I couldn't believe how much resistance there was when you tried to skate compared to outdoors. It's pretty slippery too.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #61
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,133
Thanked 1,768 Times in 683 Posts
If you've played ice before I'd say go check out some iron or nickel games to see what the compeition is like there
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RevYouUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 1,877 Times in 454 Posts
na 84 is just the hardness of the wheels..would it work if they were all the same size? o.O
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #63
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,857
Thanked 264 Times in 133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
like (76 84 84 76) is one of my rollerblades 76 being the back wheel and front wheel
Is that what came with your skates? Kind of weird they would do that, generally, the wheels are the same softness/hardness across the board. I would suggest investing in a proper set of wheels, otherwise, it'll hurt your skating and you won't have much fun falling face first or on your ass the whole game. A set of wheels should last you a good 2 years(unless your 6'0 200lbs and your squash your wheels every couple months)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
I played ice for a long time, and indoor ball hockey for the last 3 years. Actually when I made the jump from ice to ball I couldn't believe how much more tiring it was.

We also rented planet ice a couple times so our roller hockey guys could scrimmage against some actual teams. I should of asked what teir they were. But I knwo what you mean, I couldn't believe how much resistance there was when you tried to skate compared to outdoors. It's pretty slippery too.
Would that be recreationally/friendly scrimms or rep/house ice hockey? How do you describe your skill in general. Skating forward ok without tripping over yourself? Skate backwards(non of that noob wiggling backwards), good backwards crossovers? Good power stops? Shooting/stick handling skills?

If your decent, ie no prob with skating, decent wrist and snap shot, can actually take slapshops without fanning or falling down afterwards, you should be able to play in copper(?) the one down from bronze. It has been a few years since I've played in bronze and I was a pretty average player there, I know the skill level has gotten a lot better since then and I don't think I can keep up anymore(age also becoming a factor) but if your an average player with decent skills, anywhere from copper to nickel is your best bet
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #64
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Jgresch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 4,430
Thanked 3,279 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Would that be recreationally/friendly scrimms or rep/house ice hockey? How do you describe your skill in general. Skating forward ok without tripping over yourself? Skate backwards(non of that noob wiggling backwards), good backwards crossovers? Good power stops? Shooting/stick handling skills?

If your decent, ie no prob with skating, decent wrist and snap shot, can actually take slapshops without fanning or falling down afterwards, you should be able to play in copper(?) the one down from bronze. It has been a few years since I've played in bronze and I was a pretty average player there, I know the skill level has gotten a lot better since then and I don't think I can keep up anymore(age also becoming a factor) but if your an average player with decent skills, anywhere from copper to nickel is your best bet
15 years ice, very good skating and shooting.
3 years in ball hockey, very good shooting.
My only real concern is getting walked by some 25 year old superstars. I'll just go watch a game or two and see what its like.

Last edited by Jgresch; 03-31-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #65
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,857
Thanked 264 Times in 133 Posts
Just as I suspected. If you want good competition, bronze and copper. If you want to feel superstar-ish...go lower! haha. But this is roller hockey, there will always be a ringer in every div. Hope you have fun in vihl this year though!
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #66
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
hotjoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 12,667
Thanked 649 Times in 352 Posts
My vihl team is getting together tonight to practice at the langley sportsplex from 12am - 2am for our first game tomorrow. We're looking for another goalie that has full equipment or enough as we're going to go hard and will be fully suited up. You don't have to have rollerblades, playing on feet is fine but having rollerblades would be good. It'll be FREE for you to come. Please text or call me at 604-908-8161 if interested.

Last edited by hotjoint; 04-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #67
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
hardness of a wheels isnt always associated with outdoor indoor.. there are some really sticky wheels that are above 78a. Depending if you are a foward or D, you want a diff setup and do not want the same grippiness across the board.. personal preference, but I would want softer wheels on the back and harder up front (as a forward)... so straight away speed isnt affected by soft wheels that have too much friction.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #68
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 125
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when does pich start?
Rated_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #69
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,133
Thanked 1,768 Times in 683 Posts
Pich starts end of april
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RevYouUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 1,877 Times in 454 Posts


my rollerblades are messed up..after i cleaned them i couldnt get one of the wheels to fit back into the chasis...i think it bent a bit and now im screwed..
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #71
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post


my rollerblades are messed up..after i cleaned them i couldnt get one of the wheels to fit back into the chasis...i think it bent a bit and now im screwed..
im sure you can pop the chassis back in line.. are they missions? both of my buddies have had missions tht took a roller puck and bent! missions are have brutal chassis.. i have had my bauer shifters for at least 7 years and they are still good.. i ended up using the chassis from those and put them on my old ice boots... i will never buy a roller blade off the rack again.. everytime i buy new ice skates, my old ice boots will be the new rollerblades
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #72
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RevYouUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 1,877 Times in 454 Posts
hey guys im cleaning my bearings right now..What kind of lube should i use to lubricate them? Man I shall never play in the rain again...my bearings are all filled with chunks of mud and crap
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #73
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
^i hope you have separate wheels for indoor.... are you cleaning them out properly? as in takign out the c ring and removing the protective plate, and soaking them in citris wash? there are special lube for bearings.. if i were you, i would designate a set of wheels and bearings for outdoor... you can get some decent abec 5+ for a decent price in store, and especially off ebay.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #74
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Jgresch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 4,430
Thanked 3,279 Times in 823 Posts
I'm still looking for a team I have a buddy who would also like to join if there's 2 spots
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #75
My homepage has been set to RS
 
RevYouUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 1,877 Times in 454 Posts
yea i bought new wheels..and yea im taking out the cring and cleaning the bearings individually

where can i buy bearing lube? and where can i buy spacers for my bearings? I bought a set of bearings and I didn't know they didn't come with spacers.

Last edited by RevYouUp; 04-05-2011 at 08:39 PM.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net