REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Need some advice

Ok I'm stuck with a dilemma and I have no idea how to make and it's registration time. I'm hoping people have some experience or some educational knowledge to help to me out. I'm in Langara 2nd year right now and I want to transfer into SFU or any close university around GVRD. The goal is to transfer in the easiest way possible that's for sure to work because, I admit, I have had my mistakes once I entered post secondary and it's already too late to go back. Right now I'm deciding whether to go to Kwantlen for another year to pull my GPA back up again or to stay in Langara and take easier courses, then transfer. Any advice?

Don't worry about majors and whatnot, my goal is to transfer. I have about 40 credits now and most courses are all business or electives, I haven't touched math at all but I finished 1st and 2nd year english
Advertisement
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 2,028 Times in 501 Posts
generally it easier to transfer into an arts program than anything else.
i have family that transferred from kwatlen to ubc by going into an arts program.
now he's taking engineering courses at ubc instead of the art ones he transferred into for.
Nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
RS Veteran

kwantlen is a university and offers degrees
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

It's easiest to get into SFU if you finish up your 'associates degree' and transfer up with that whole bundle into an Arts program but ultimately you should talk to an adviser in your chosen field.

Several of the colleges have deals with specific schools too (like Douglas & Fraser Valley) and as mentioned above Kwantlen offers full degrees now.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

how bad is your gpa? and what is the range you are expecting to raise it to ? because after 40 or so credits even if you get like an A it isn't going to alter your gpa by much since you are so many courses in by now.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
Some of my friends transfer into the Arts and Science programs first for easy entrance then from there they transfer into the program they want. Longer but easier process. I'm in the same boat as you
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

CGPA is 2.1 and I'm really trying to pull it back up to even general admission requirements which is like 2.5ish I think. I have an honest feeling that Kwantlen is easier with the teachers and courses because I do have some friends who thought it was easy from Crim to SFU crim, idk any insights?

And yea fappin I know being in this boat sucks ass. Your name is Fapping btw in my contact list
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

ya I believe what "TheNewGirl" said is correct I wish I had known that earlier I been at Langara for two years as well and I ended up with 60 credits but I was missing a few things for the Associates degree, what I was told recently was that if you transfer with the associates degree I think the entrance gpa is lowered by .1? or .2? for you because of having that. Which obviously helps out a lot especially by then you will be 60 credits in and its very hard to raise your gpa at all. Also I'm not sure if the general admissions gpa of 2.5 includes the .3 deduction but I'm not sure if you know but Langara's GPA is docked .3 when you apply to SFU ( not sure about other schools). Now back to any advice I can give .. is there any really bad outliers in your gpa? like do you have a couple really bad marks that is dragging your gpa down ? or were you roughly getting 2.0's in like every class? because if it's just a few bad course marks I would suggest retaking them and usually the second time around it should be a lot easier.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #9

hmm im trying to avoid getting more credits that i dont really need yet. So far most of the courses i get a mark of c. One way could be to take all the courses i got low in and take more useless yet easy courses but that plan seems so crooked..? Hard to describe. You can take a look over my transcript and i dont mind if im getting some help from experienced ppl
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
It's easiest to get into SFU if you finish up your 'associates degree' and transfer up with that whole bundle into an Arts program but ultimately you should talk to an adviser in your chosen field.

Several of the colleges have deals with specific schools too (like Douglas & Fraser Valley) and as mentioned above Kwantlen offers full degrees now.
The requirements are lowered by .25 when you get an associate's degree and if you are thinking of transfering to sfu. SFU arts is extremely easy to get into. You might read that the entrance is 3.0-Aim for 2.75. It's driven by supply and demand (since more people are enticed by UBC, not many choose sfu).

I think his outliers are econ and english cuz Langara have a plethora of professors who can't teach those subjects (there are a couple of good professors though). Also, Langara business is biased: A-= 85%. Everything is scaled up by 5%. That is one disadvantage of Langara Business when transferring to another university.
Advice:
1) Scan/preview your profs before choosing them. Go to ratemyprof for this (gives a general consensus)
2) Assuming you will stay at Langara. A good and easy GPA booster is Geo 1120? the canadian geo one- take it with Crowley
Psych1115 with Valerie Lloyd(do all the bonus assignments). I also heard anthropology was easy, but I've never taken it. English Linguistics with Bowers is ok if you have a math/science oriented mind.

Associate's Degree:
http://www.langara.bc.ca/liberal-art.../programs.html
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Your not getting in SFU with a 2.1, the cut off is 2.7 for arts. You also need your proper Quantitative credits. How many credits do you have? If you have more than 24, they only look at your most recent 30 for GPA calculation. If u have like 55+ credits already, your fucked.

From experience, assuming your not mentally retarded, I don't think there's such thing as an universally 'easy' course - any subject that you have passion and interest for WILL be easier to get a good grade in. Don't listen to what other people say is easy, do what you like.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #12

I should point out. If you're getting C's in college where the grades aren't on a curve, you're going to generally do substantially worse if you drop into SFU or UBC in 3rd year against a curve. You're really going to need to buckle down and work your ass off there and it's important you be prepared for that.

You're also better off retaking course you did badly in (there for getting rid of something that was pulling your GPA down) than taking more courses to 'wash it out'.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #13

Yea I guess to retake them is somewhat the best idea and to take easier courses. So far I have taken care of Q courses like GEO 1190 with labs I think thats one, Environ chem, so mostly courses isn't the biggest problem, it's just the grades that's really hard to get.

Yea I need to work harder but it's always easier said than done cuz it is post secondary after all.

What about the Kwantlen idea? Worth it to transfer to Kwantlen and retake courses and maybe a little more there? Or keep staying in langara?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #14

Well just generally, in my experience, if you're having trouble getting higher than Cs in the 'easy' course, then you're going to be really having trouble in Uni. Especially if your department favors a curve which is pretty much meant to separate the students who can handle the higher level courses from those who can not.

What degree are you aiming to get at the end of all of this? It may be worth it for you to do your whole degree at Kwantlen.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
I STILL don't get it

^ what she said, like I'm not sure what degree you are going for but if your GPA is at 2.1 after 40 credits I think the only way to get it back up to min requirement to transfer to SFU would be to redo your really bad courses. Are you taking a really big course load each semester? I calculated if you got A's in the rest of your credits til you reached 60 it would only pull your gpa to a 2.7 and that is assume you find and attend all these "easy" courses. So when you transfer its still pretty useless I don't why people talk like once you transfer into arts you can somehow eventually just magically transfer into what faculty from there .. even if you get in Arts you still need to have a bunch of prereq courses with a certain GPA in them to get in. I have friends that eventually transferred to SFU arts and now their stuck there because they wanted to get in business but their grades were no where near that cutoff and now their stuck in limbo.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,127 Posts
I think you should definitely re-think your current degree path, especially if you're getting C's. I know you've made a pretty big investment so far, but as others have said, if you like the material, you can get (at minimum) B's in your sleep.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
take courses that interest you, because the more you enjoy your school work, the better your GPA will be....hence, better chance of getting into a good U.

in the work world, no one cares what undergrad degree you get (as long as it is froma reputable school) it is really about work experience and graduate work....

for example, I'd rather get a Arts Degree from Western or U of T Vs a business degree from the University of Calgary.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #18

I like business. BUS Law, Intl Bus, OB, Bus Comp apps, I got all B's in because to me it's easy, understandable, easy to relate, and teachers were really good actually. I barely made any huge effort to study and learn the material. All I had to do what to attend lectures, copy notes, review and I can already understand the material easily. I love english as well so I'm and artsy business type. Then the problem is in order to major in business you need at least a 3.0gpa
Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it

lol hey camry, so can I ask what courses are dragging your gpa so far down ? seeing as you got actually quite a few 3.0's in the business related courses, the good news there for you then is if you really wanted to transfer to SFU Business they actually only take the GPA of like 9 core courses and it sounds like you did fairly well in a few of them from what you said.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

It's not any easier to transfer into business once you transfer into a program that's easy to get into. Infact it will be more difficult for you to get in beacuse University will bring your CGPA down by 0.1-0.3 as someone has mentioned. This is CUMULATIVE. So since you have 40 credits and you're at a 2.1 CGPA, you have 84 grade credits, let say you want to bring your CGPA up by 0.1 with a 3 credit course, you'd need at least an 3.53 GPA in that 3 credit course which is an A- (3.66) to bring it up 0.1 for your CGPA.

wanna see the math? your target is a CGPA of 2.2,

2.2 * (40 credits you already have + 3 credits for the next course) = 94.6 grade credits you need

grade credits you currently have is 84

94.6 grade credits you need - 84 grade credits you already have = 10.6 that you need

10.6/3 credit course = 3.53333333

Now seeing this, and having SFU bring down your gpa by 0.1-0.3 for your CUMULATIVE GPA, it's gonna be an uphill battle for you to bring it back up to where it was when you were in college since you have more credits now than you have CGPA.

get ready to start acing your courses to bring it up to 2.7

Unlike college, University Students are competitive because they have to be inorder to make the grade. If you aren't aware, SFU marks on the curve. So if you're not trying and getting 70% in your courses and the average of the course is 80% for an "easy course", guess what? You're below average student at that course and any other course you didn't work at to make the grade. If you're not even trying for courses you find easy like your business courses that you can do well in and understand, that's the wrong mentality for university.

Last edited by MrGoodbar; 02-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #21

That's exactly what I mean about the curve. I have had classes where I got like a C- with an 85% and classes where I got an A with a 62% (Pharmacology, this class was so hard the midterm average was 49%!), just because of what the class average was. ESPECIALLY in 3rd and 4th year courses where the class sizes are smaller and increasingly comprised of more dedicated students it's harder and harder to be better than your peers.

You can't be content to go for the easy B's. You have to be willing to give it your 110%. If you're not, you're not ready to go to big kid school yet.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryV6Sport View Post
I like business. BUS Law, Intl Bus, OB, Bus Comp apps, I got all B's in because to me it's easy, understandable, easy to relate, and teachers were really good actually. I barely made any huge effort to study and learn the material. All I had to do what to attend lectures, copy notes, review and I can already understand the material easily. I love english as well so I'm and artsy business type. Then the problem is in order to major in business you need at least a 3.0gpa
If you enjoy the field that youre planning on going into, thats definitely a good starting point.
I cant help you with the entrance requirements but Im basically posting some advice/tips if you do get in...
So heres some things you may want to consider before going into university:-

1) The number one key to success in university is time management.
  • So dont leave assignments till the last minute
  • Dont study for exams/tests on the last day
  • Put all your effort into your work, try to go above and beyond what the prof expects (realistically) on your assignments/papers. Im talking about assignments that are worth a large % of marks towards your course grade.
  • Review regularly
  • If its a hard course, dont skip lectures&tutorials
and also know your limits when managing your time

If youre looking for those high marks (B+ and above), never ever ever have the mentality of "Oh w/e this assignment isnt worth that much, Ill just ace the midterms and final". Each course material builds on the previous material, so you'll just be shooting yourself in the foot when you have to learn everything at the last minute. By the time midterms/finals come, you should be practicing not learning

I dont know what business courses are like but in math and compsci some courses have regular quizzes and assignments to keep you engaged in the material. Make sure you study hard for those, and use them to keep pace with the class material because then studying for the exams becomes 20 times easier.

2) Motivation
  • Take courses with friends who will motivate you. Avoid people who slack off when studying lol (yes I know its mean to think that way but it helps)
  • Form study groups
Its definitely a lot easier to study with friends who are in the same boat as you.

If youre low on motivation for a particular course, or you procrastinate because you think its too hard:-
Draw on past experiences
eg.
  • courses where you achieved good marks
  • overcame a bad midterm/test by doing well on the final and got a good grade (even if its a high school course)

You can even use the competition as motivation.

Like other people have mentioned... put all your effort into your studies, because if you have an aptitude for the material (you mentioned you did well in the business courses without even studying) and youre dedicated, theres very little reason for you to not succeed.
Even if you dont end up doing as well as you hoped, at least you'll know you learned something and gave it your best.

Last edited by hypercube; 02-17-2011 at 04:00 PM.
hypercube is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #23

Hmm yea I see that you need to give it 110% but I didn't see it when I started school, hell I even skipped. I need to really get some habits fixed and yea I can already see that now it's not really about passing, it's about passing and getting higher marks in order to transfer. While my other friends in SFU/UBC can just pass and consider it an accomplishment.

Courses that are bringing me down:
- English 1st and 2nd year
- Philo
- Environmental chem
- Geomorphology
- And soon Stats

Right now I'm taking Stats and Socio, 2 courses because I waitlisted for 2 more and I never waitlist, hence I forgot to relog and dropped from the list. I feel that I might need to drop stats for the sake of my gpa. I don't want to have to battle it at 200% effort and a math disadvantage to get a 60% because right now I'm just passing entering the midterm which I have no clue what the hell I did during the whole test. Then I'm left with 1 course this semester. Big problem?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #24

Lol geo 1190? I took 1180 and that was pretty hard. I wouldn't reccomend retaking english since you have to be very passionate to do well. Stats counts as cumulative. Another alternative is ubc arts. The only drawback is that you need 3.0 GPA. When xfering into ubc arts, they only look at last 30 credits. Just know that UBC arts is different from Sauder cuz applying into Sauder is a whole nother situation.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #25

Geo was pure hell, every class there were notes and labs to do, I was rushing things every week and I had good help in class thankfully. English is the closest thing to re doing. I always slack off and think that quizzes are scrap and essays are really bad as well. Personally I just hated what the teacher pick to write on plus the fact that I only had like 1 hr to write a full essay.

Stats is cumulative and I'm doing very bad in since I can't really grasp the concepts as easy cuz I have always done bad in math.