REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Where to get best exchage rate?

wanting to get some USD but bank rates are terrible.
Advertisement
tecra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Old School RS

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,196 Posts
The simple answer is that it depends how much money you are looking for.

Since we change large amounts ($50k+ per), TD gives us direct access to the trading desk, which is basically as good as you can get (for reference, on Friday XE.com listed the exchange rate as $1.00usd = $0.98720cdn, we bought at $0.99260).

However, if you are looking to deal in a relatively small amount, they will not give you this type of access and you are probably stuck either dealing with somebody like Custom House or trying to beat the bank up at the branch level to get them to give you access to a VIP or priority rate.

Mark
Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Vancouver Bullion in downtown!

http://www.vbce.ca/
Revive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

thanks guys i'll check out the dt one
tecra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Use Credit and ATM Cards
You will almost always get the best interbank exchange rate when buying foreign currency with either ATM cards or credit cards, which will usually be 2 to 7 percent better than the rates you'll get when exchanging cash or traveler's checks. Try to use credit cards whenever possible for large purchases such as hotel bills, tickets and car rentals. However, keep in mind that most credit card companies add fees for transactions made in foreign currencies. (Capital One is one of very few U.S. credit card companies that do not.) Local vendors such as restaurants and shops may also charge a fee for credit card transactions. Read more about using credit cards wisely in Money Matters on the Road.
advancescash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,537 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
The simple answer is that it depends how much money you are looking for.

Since we change large amounts ($50k+ per), TD gives us direct access to the trading desk, which is basically as good as you can get (for reference, on Friday XE.com listed the exchange rate as $1.00usd = $0.98720cdn, we bought at $0.99260).

However, if you are looking to deal in a relatively small amount, they will not give you this type of access and you are probably stuck either dealing with somebody like Custom House or trying to beat the bank up at the branch level to get them to give you access to a VIP or priority rate.

Mark
that is still not the best rate.

i can get you ~0.0040 on top of the screen rate. you got 0.0054 (you would save about 70 bux at 50grand) if you do ~80k i can get you ~0.0030. and of course the higher the amount the lower the rate, up to roughly 2million (spread is 0.0015 - 0.0020 at that amount). of course it is all negotiable.

but if you bank with td there might be some problems as we dont have a corporate TD account, but the cost of a bank draft or wire would still save you some money.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote