REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
What to do with 1 bent rim?

What to do with 1 bent rim?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's the scenario:

car: 07 TL Base

I have 1 set of OEM rims w/bridgestone blizzaks for winter 235/45/17

I have 1 set of OEM rims w/stock michelins for non winter usage. 235/45/17

I found out that 1 of my winter rims is bent thus resulting in a slight
vibration at 100km/hr (60mph).

Should i:

1. get the bent rim repaired? $150

2. exchange the rim with one of my non-winter rims and then change back when winters come off? $25 x 2

3. put 2 winter tires on the front and 2 stock michelins on the rear? just to ride out this last month of winter before spring hits. (i mean come on.. how mild has it been?!)

4. buy this single 04-06 rim off craigslist and look silly with an 07-08 rim on rear and 04-06 rim on front - JUST for winter usage.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...223797663.html assuming tpms can be transferred to this rim. i'd offer him $60 for single rim.

5. dont bother doing anything for now and ride out the winter until i can put my all-seasons back on..then i have all spring/summer to find a solution for that 1 rim

*the vancouver winter has been super mild as in, hardly any snow this year.. we might get like 1 more dumping of 4-5cm at the very most before it just washes away with rain.

there you go.. lol.. feel free to add another option and/or make your recommendation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Unless your driving for long distances over 100km/hr I wouldn't worry about it and just ride it out until the end of the year. Don't put non winter tires on the back and run winters up front if you have the option. Also it's not JUST the snow feature that winter tires are made for it's the temperature so until the temps are above 7 degrees I would leave the Winters on. They should really try and promote the name WINTER tire instead of Snow tire.

Berz out.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Unless your driving for long distances over 100km/hr I wouldn't worry about it and just ride it out until the end of the year. Don't put non winter tires on the back and run winters up front if you have the option. Also it's not JUST the snow feature that winter tires are made for it's the temperature so until the temps are above 7 degrees I would leave the Winters on. They should really try and promote the name WINTER tire instead of Snow tire.

Berz out.
thanks..unfortunately i drive on the east west connector everyday
averaging 90-100km/hr. so i was looking the most viable solution.
panther quoted me $125 to straighten.

*i did move it to the rear of the car but that didnt improve it at all.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

roll it down a motherf***ing hill!!!!!!!!!! BOOYA!
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Seems like you put a lot of thought into this.

I would just get it fixed for $125.
It is hard to just find a single rim in good condition, plus you'll have to pay for the mount and dismount of the tire which will probably cost more than $125 (factoring in everything). Moreover, you'll have an extra rim lying around causing clutter.

IMO, $125 is the price to pay for a straight rim. Don't ride it out for the fear or unnecessary wear outs on the tire and other components.

And like what Berz said, the winter tires are not just for snow, but the cold temperatures.

Sometimes, it is nice to have options. But just get the rim fixed and be done with all the other tedious things.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurochevy View Post
roll it down a motherf***ing hill!!!!!!!!!! BOOYA!
Why do that when you can be the talk of your friends with this ......

STYLISH NEW TABLE! THAT'S RIGHT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN A TABLE, MADE OUT OF A CAR WHEEL! MODERN FUNCTIONAL ART INDEED!

Got a cracked windshield? NO PROBLEM! Just stick that sucker ontop of your bent car rim and BADDA BING BADDA BOOM! you have yourself a BRRRRRRAND NEEEWWW COFFEE TABBLEE! FOR FREE!

When friends come over and ask you "Is that a table, or pieces of a car?" you can proudly respond "I AM MAN. I MAKE THINGS. BRRRR".

For extra wow factor, stick a ferrari sticker on the center cap.
Then when girls over and say "hey that's so cool! is that like a wheel?"
You can respond with an astounding "YES!, and not only is that a wheel, it's off a FERRARI! YES! A ferrari!! Which Means I can buy you all kinds of pointless shit, now lets get naked and fuck on this BRRRANNDDD NEWWW CAR WHEEL COFFEE TABLE! AWW YEAH!"

I see this as nothing but a positive. I know it wasn't one of your earlier listed options, but I think it's quite a viable, and economical option because you won't be throwing anything away, it's basically free, and your room will look BAUSS!

Want to show girls how classy you are? Follow these easy steps:

1) Acquire an engine block (preferably a V type v6 or v8)
2)Clean said engine block
3) MOUNT IT ON ITS SIDE AND STICK A PIECE OF GLASS ON IT! BAM!!! INSTANT WINE RACK AND TABLE! AWW YEAH!

Girl's will love drinking pinot noir off your black peenor after you do this!

After doing all this, your character specs in RL are guaranteed to be +25 points across the board.

Last edited by BrRsn; 03-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

tape the shit back together son
shtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

lol. thanks for the input.

i put my regular all season set back on.. i will deal with that one rim later in the summer/fall. but yah, wheelfixit or whatever it is quoted $125 and i'll get it fixed there sometime later in the year.