REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Lumiere Closing: March 13

Sucks to see such a prominent restaurant in Vancouver close its doors. HST probably didn't help but people who can afford this place couldn't care too much.

Probably had more to do with losing Feenie and what his personality brought to the business.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...680/story.html

Edit: Ooops Lumiere
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
That place was pretty good, other than the insanely small portions. It's been going downhill since Feenie left anyhow...
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
high-end restaurants have been closing down left right and centre, this was just a matter of time....

Quote:
B.C.’s restaurant industry has taken a hit since the introduction of the harmonized sales tax in July, which tacked on an additional seven per cent to restaurant meals. Previously, meals — excluding alcohol — were only subject to the five-per-cent government sales tax.

The province also introduced stricter drinking-and-driving laws that allow police to immediately fine and suspend drivers caught with a blood-alcohol level as low as 0.05.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...#ixzz1FDEUxwJP
bang on
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
I am on the internets

too bad.. we just went there last month, it was excellent.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I've only been there once years ago but I totally dun think it is worth the price I paid.
Posted via RS Mobile
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Miss the days when it used to be a part of Dineout. As a student, there's no way I afford full price @ Lumiere.
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
high-end restaurants have been closing down left right and centre, this was just a matter of time....

Quote:
B.C.’s restaurant industry has taken a hit since the introduction of the harmonized sales tax in July, which tacked on an additional seven per cent to restaurant meals. Previously, meals — excluding alcohol — were only subject to the five-per-cent government sales tax.

The province also introduced stricter drinking-and-driving laws that allow police to immediately fine and suspend drivers caught with a blood-alcohol level as low as 0.05.
bang on
F--king Bang On
Those 2 introductions from the Government are killing BC's restaurant industry BAD
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

food was just above satisfactory last time i went, better ways to spend $
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
10psi aint enough...

Friend of mine whos a waiter told me the same thing, damn...good luck to the staff.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
F--king Bang On
Those 2 introductions from the Government are killing BC's restaurant industry BAD
I rather have less high-end restaurants then getting run over by a drunk driver after eating at a high-end restaurant.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Lumiere was doomed as soon as Feenie left, but Le Crocodile is/was always better anyways.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #12

Haven't tried Lumiere, but I did go to the neighboring DB Bistro. I didn't find it that great. Small portions and not worth paying that amount of money for.

I guess it has begun, more restaurants will probably follow along too.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Had Christmas Eve dinner at db Bistro. Food was just okay in my opinion.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

These places only make sense when u take clients for business lunch/dinner and it can be written off as expenses. It really doesn't make sense for an average person.
Posted via RS Mobile
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Lumiere died years ago

for those talking about Feenie or are wondering what that's all about check this old article out

Quote:
Feenie's kitchen nightmare
Rob Feenie, one of Canada's most celebrated chefs, says he has been forced out of his two Vancouver restaurants, Lumiere and Feenie's.

By The Vancouver Sun November 3, 2007

Rob Feenie, one of Canada's most celebrated chefs, says he has been forced out of his two Vancouver restaurants, Lumiere and Feenie's.

In the past few days, he says, he has been in the fight of his life in a failed bid to regain his status in the two Vancouver jewels.

Two years ago, with his restaurants facing bankruptcy, he signed over majority ownership of the restaurants to David and Manjy Sidoo. Feenie says he was in the red for $350,000 after spending $1.2 million to upgrade the Lumiere kitchen and to pay off what he owed his original partner, Ken Lei.

"I'm no longer with the company because, most importantly, my role as a chef was taken away," he said in an interview.

David Sidoo, an investment banker, says he's shocked at what has happened. He said in an interview that the sides had been trying to work out their problems.

Feenie said he had an employment contract with the Sidoos.

"It is in his [Feenie's] view that they [the Sidoos] are in breach of that employment contract," Feenie's lawyer, Randy Kaardal, said.

"They have diminished his role and responsibility as it relates to food, marketing and operation of the restaurants. He was to have the role of executive chef and the duties were defined in the agreement.

"He has now elected to no longer be associated with the restaurants as a result," Kaardal said. "He could not tolerate those circumstances."

"The parties will have to work out damages that Mr. Feenie has suffered and attempt to work out in good faith where to go from here," Kaardal said.

Sidoo confirmed Feenie has left the restaurants. "It's finished. He quit.

"He came in on Wednesday and took all his stuff. He met with the staff, had a goodbye drink, shook hands with them.

"Right now, we're in shock. We were trying to work things out the past few days.

Sidoo called Feenie "a wonderful chef . . . . He's done a lot of good things for Vancouver."

Sidoo also said he and his wife's investment in the restaurant "was substantially more" than $350,000, but would not go into details. Neither party would talk about their financial arrangements.

Asked why Feenie left, Sidoo replied: "You're going to have to ask him that."

Feenie is a star, a giant in the Vancouver culinary scene. In 2005, he became a bit of a pop culture icon by winning the Iron Chef America competition. He's written several cookbooks, he's had his own television cooking shows and hobnobs with towering international chefs such as Thomas Keller and Charlie Trotter. Under him, Lumiere was distinguished with the prestigious Relais Gourmand and Tradition et Qualité awards.

Recently, a full-page ad appeared in Vancouver Magazine's annual glossy eating and drinking guide "introducing executive chef Dale Mackay" with his photo with owners David and Manjy Sidoo's names at the bottom.

Sidoo says that was an error: "The ad was an unfortunate typo error we couldn't catch in time. With all other marketing materials, all the dinners we've done, Rob was on the menu as executive chef."

Feenie said the problems began when Mackay was hired two months ago. The 28-year-old chef, a Canadian, was previously working at uber-celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay's New York restaurant.

"As of a month ago, David Sidoo informed me the duties and title of executive chef were taken away from me. Dale was given carte blanche to do what he wants and the final approval of all food for Lumiere had to go through David and Manjy," Feenie said.

"One of the things he [David] said to me was that the reason he wanted Dale to have carte blanche is that he and Manjy wanted to see more consistency in the restaurant. He wanted us to work together."

More recently, while the partners were negotiating their way through the issues, Feenie was advised to stay away, he says.

"It's not that he wanted me out of there. He [Sidoo] wanted my face, my name," he says. "The fact is, the food in the dining room is no longer Rob Feenie. I was no longer able to make comments and criticisms. If I didn't think the food was worthy of Lumiere, it had to go through David and Manjy."

Feenie's side of the story reads like a backroom deal that occurred without his knowledge. Feenie said he interviewed Mackay in New York for a position as chef de cuisine. Feenie felt Mackay came at too high a price and had interviewed another chef from Toronto. Unknown to him, Sidoo had hired Mackay.

Sidoo disagrees with that version of events. "Rob is the executive chef. We didn't have anything to do with the food. Rob went to New York and said 'We found our guy. He's not willing to come unless we can compensate him properly.' I told Rob it's his decision. We made it work for Rob, so Dale could run the kitchen as chef de cuisine. The two of them had conversations over duties. From my understanding, Rob gave Dale complete freedom with the menu as long as the two signature items, the sablefish and the squash ravioli, stayed. Dale was hired as chef de cuisine for Lumiere."

Two days ago, Feenie told The Sun he had investors in place to make Sidoo a buyout offer. "I'm trying to buy it back. If he rejects the deal, it's then personal and if he wants to make it personal, I do have the ability to take it to that level," Feenie said. "I will not let these restaurants go. I've worked too hard."

The offer, he said, is what Sidoo wanted and "more than what the restaurant's worth."

But on Friday, Feenie was officially out.

Sidoo says he's always approached with offers. "I did have interest from outside parties. Those discussions were terminated several days ago. They are confidential discussions. The terms were not satisfactory so we moved on. I don't know if Rob was attached to them."

Regarding the partnership, Feenie says: "It was one of my biggest mistakes. In doing that, it's put me in the situation I'm in now. What can I tell you. I've made big mistakes in my career but this was the biggest I've ever made. At this point, it's a fatal error. In January '06, he [David] said we've got three choices," Feenie said. "He said 'We can close down. We can find someone to buy us out. Or we [the Sidoos] can take over. Not only will we take over, we'll try and make it so that you're still a partner.' "

Asked what brought him to the point of bankruptcy two years ago, Feenie said: "I'm a chef. I'm not an accountant or bookkeeper. It's not my thing. I put the wrong people in the wrong places to be accountable. I'm disappointed for my clients, for everyone. It's been 12 really fabulous years."

The relationship with the Sidoos wasn't always conflicted, Feenie says. "They [gave] me the opportunity four years ago to open Feenie's and that's something I have to thank them for -- coming in when I needed help and they were always there when the restaurant needed help. I never felt they ever had bad intentions."

As for Mackay, Feenie says: "He's the luckiest guy on the planet. He gets a Relais Gourmand and Tradition Qualité restaurant."

Sidoo said his priority has to be with the team at the restaurant.

mstainsby@png.canwest.com

CHEF'S CAREER TRAJECTORY

ROB FEENIE'S RED LETTER DATES:

1992-1994: Watershed years, building skills at Le Crocodile in Vancouver

1995: Opened Lumiere

1997: Restaurant of the Year, Vancouver Magazine restaurant award

2000: Opened Lumiere Tasting Bar at Lumiere; won Relais Gourmand award

2003: Opened Feenie's; won Tradition et Qualité award

2005: First Canadian chef to win Iron Chef title

1998-2004: Hosts New Classics with Chef Rob Feenie on Food Network Canada

2007: Exits Lumiere and Feenie's

Vancouver Sun
© (c) CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=www.google.ca

Feenie handles Cactus Clubs Menu now

actually dont care for the food from out l33t restaurants (except sushi places)

Last edited by StylinRed; 02-27-2011 at 11:20 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

As much as some people dissed Feenie for going the route of corporate chef and somewhere like Cactus Club in my opinion it was a good move and next step in a career.

Same with Michael Noble working as Corporate Chef for Earls I believe. After working in the industry a few more years since Rob Feenies departure from Lumiere I totally understand how some of these guys take the Corporate route as it is probably much better pay, less stress, more time for other things, etc...
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #17
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
It's totally a good move for them for sure. Working in a test kitchen means you don't have to work the crazy regular restaurant hours. He's probably at home by 6pm with his family on a weekday, and I assume he has the weekends off.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #18
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,414 Posts
Daniel Boulud's DB bistro moderne is also closing down on the same day. A shame.

Also, food writer Jamie Maw is supposedly writing a tell-all book on Lumiere; working title - 'Lumière: The Life and Death of Canada's Finest Restaurant'. More about him: http://www.vanmag.com/Restaurants/Aw...ent_Award_2008
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
F--king Bang On
Really? I think the Cactus, et al. juggernaut is doing pretty well (see Bentall 5.) The last time I was in Glowbal restaurant (Coast), it was packed to the gills too.

Sure, the corporatization of the restaurant scene might be a bad thing if you're a foodie, but corporate restaurants make decent quid because they are consistent and provide decent service at reasonable prices.

I'm not a foodie, but I know that real foodies cook at home.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #20

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
^ I've heard that a lot of people have been laid off from Cactus recently.

Keep in mind, a packed restaurant does not guarantee revenue. There are a lot of people who are drinking water instead of $6 beers or $8 highballs.

Kev
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
I always find it amusing how when something goes bankrupt, the owners/operators never blame themselves. So HST killed a high-end restaurant? Sounds like bullshit. I haven't stopped going to BP or whatever because of an extra $3.50 on a $50 tab, why would people who spend $200 or $300 care? If you can't afford the extra percentage, you shouldn't have been dining out in the first place anyway. Pathetic, really. And blaming the drunk driving laws is also sad. Just mark up the pop some more or whatever. The restaurant is already overpriced, nobody will care.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #22

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,414 Posts
Taken from a local food industry forum, it sounds like Lumiere was doomed when they ditched Feenie, not just because of HST or the new drinking and driving policies:
  • They opened without the support of the local community
  • They underestimated the level of loyalty of Rob Feenie’s guests
  • They overestimated the interest in Daniel Boulud from the local market
  • The local market, industry and guests, felt insulted that they brought in an entire team of out of towners from chefs to front of house. None of those people knew the local market and it showed with everything from the wine list to the choice of American ingredients on the menu
  • They overestimated the business hotel concierges could bring them
  • The Sidoo’s used the restaurant for their on photo ops and to get into the social columns, they sucked the life out of those restaurants
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #23

When I last went to lumieres for dinner, my gf ordered a salad which was nothing more than 4 leaves of lettuce on a plate and a steak that she wanted rare but showed up well done and the waitress decided to tell us that's how they do rare there
Posted via RS Mobile
Klobbersaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #24
I subscribe to Revscene

anyone try DB modern burger?
always wanted to try but cant justify paying for a $20 burger
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
anyone try DB modern burger?
always wanted to try but cant justify paying for a $20 burger
I order that from time to time. it's not bad, just average. The meat was more on the dry side though.
Calinfornia is offline   Reply With Quote