REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Help with recovery supplements

First off let me say that I'm a complete noob when it comes to supplements, powders, shakes and all that jazz. For the most part, in my mind, I think carbs = energy and protein activates carbs and helps to repair muscle. I get my carbs from eating a lot of rice and usually get my protein from eating a can of tuna after a workout. But lately the tuna part is starting to get to me.

About a month ago I started a 6-day exercise routine that includes alternating weight training and hour long walks and I really want to make the most of what I do. I'm pretty much looking to lower my body fat index and define more than gain muscle (but putting on some muscle wouldn't be the worst thing to happen).

From what I can gather a recovery supplement seems like my best choice to maximize my workouts but with so many choices I have no idea which one to go with. I've been looking at getting Isoflex whey isolate http://www.popeyescanada.com/inf_allmax-IsoFLEX.php but really have no idea.

For any of you that have been/are in the same situation or have used isoflex before what would you recommend/what's you take on the product?

Sorry about the novel and thanks in advance.

-Phil
Advertisement

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Just curious what is making you think you need supplements for recovery? IsoFlex is fine, although for your goals I'd suggest that re-evaluating your workout plan and diet would be much more effective. e.g. If you're looking to cut fat, stop eating rice.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
i think its glutamine your after
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #4

Although Glutamine is a recommended recovery supplement, I don't think it would be too beneficial at the moment if he has just started a training routine.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
then i suggested a heavy dose of man the fuck up
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Just curious what is making you think you need supplements for recovery? IsoFlex is fine, although for your goals I'd suggest that re-evaluating your workout plan and diet would be much more effective. e.g. If you're looking to cut fat, stop eating rice.
I think a little rice is fine, brown rice to be exact
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
this
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I've been using IsoFlex and it's a high quality product! Been very happy with it.. Thumbs up to the lean, quality protein and the glutamine + BCAAs that really help with recovery. However, like any supplement, it's just one part of a greater scheme and your diet is going to play a huge part. Also in terms of recovery, age plays a factor in how fast you recover and with that how you presume something like IsoFlex works.
xXDragonXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Why wouldn't you use supplements for recovery? Healthy products designed to help maximize workouts. Seems beneficial to me. Cutting down on rice is probably a good idea; although its definitely a staple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
Whoa tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDragonXx View Post
I've been using IsoFlex and it's a high quality product! Been very happy with it.. Thumbs up to the lean, quality protein and the glutamine + BCAAs that really help with recovery. However, like any supplement, it's just one part of a greater scheme and your diet is going to play a huge part. Also in terms of recovery, age plays a factor in how fast you recover and with that how you presume something like IsoFlex works.
Thanks for the input. I'm only 22 so I'm pretty sure I fall in the "I'm still young so nothing can touch me" category I totally agree with diet playing a major factor as well. Of course I could just slim down by changing to a better diet but who wants to look like a twig lol

Tumblr
Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
Why wouldn't you use supplements for recovery? Healthy products designed to help maximize workouts. Seems beneficial to me. Cutting down on rice is probably a good idea; although its definitely a staple.
I would (and do personally) use supplements for recovery, but at your stage as a novice doing light/moderate intensity workouts the benefits gained from spending the money on supplements would not be as effective as compared to other things you could for free such as tweaking your diet or re-evaluating your workout routine.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to add Whey, Glutamine, etc. supplmeents for recovery, but I think the cost:benefit ratio for the money you spend is not worthwhile yet.

What's your height/weight currently, and what does your workout routine entail?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #11

^^ah I see what you mean.

I'm 5'6" and 155lbs.

Right now my current workout routine is:

Monday (chest/shoulder)
Pec flies w/ dumbells 12x2
dumbell press 12x2
shoulder shrugs 12x2 (but recently dumbells have been getting too heavy to hold so I might substitute lower weight with more reps)
should press 12x2

Tueday
1hr walk

wednesday (back/lats/core)
wide-grip chinups to fail x2
dumbbell row 12x2
seated row 12x2
ball crunches till fail
frog sit up till fail
v-oblique twists with dumbbell till fail

thurs
1hr walk

friday (legs)
squats 15x2
calf-raises 20x2
lunges with dumbbells 15x2

sat
1hr walk

I try and do 80% of my max weight and push it so I can barely finish the last set. Also I try to increase either reps or weight by 2.5% every week for progression.

Tumblr

Last edited by Neva; 03-01-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #12

Actually that's a pretty good, much better than I was expecting. I would suggest instead of 12x2 go for 8x2 or 6x4 at higher weight for greater intensity.

I'd say you'd benefit from supps with what you're doing. AllMax, Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize, they're all good brands for Whey Protein. As mentioned, Glutamine is also a good post-workout supplement, it is an amino acid that aids in recovery and prevents catabolism.

Otherwise yeah for definition and fat loss, 85% is diet. If you are around low to mid teens BF% (12-16%), perhaps look into something like LeanGains.com or Lyle MacDonald body recomp
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

5'6 and 155lbs
that's good weight man depends what your fat% is
Fobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i personally use supplements from Nutrabolics - they have some amazing products! mixes easily in water and tastes pretty effing good! supplements should never be discounted as a factor when achieving fitness goals. your body needs to recover from the training - supplements help it do it faster