REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Long time ago I accidentally backed out into an old Integra. Damage was super minimal to both of our bumpers but I was still at fault. Luckily the guy didn't want to go through ICBC and he didn't ask me for money either because the Integra was really old and beat up. I was really nice about it though, saying that I was really sorry and would try to help him buff it out. In your case go for the free paint job unless you feel its not worth it but it sounds like the guy was a dick and wouldn't admit fault.
Advertisement
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #27
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
Although i agree it's a principal thing..It doesn't look like much so if it were me, i'd rather spend the hour one evening to buff it out than have to spend time going to ICBC, working an appointment into my schedule, etc. with a chance that it might not even go through.
However, maybe you have a flexible schedule and the time to do this.
Completely agreed, but I have had pretty quick and easy experience dealing with ICBC. And the claim centre is only 10 minutes away from me.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Long time ago I accidentally backed out into an old Integra. Damage was super minimal to both of our bumpers but I was still at fault. Luckily the guy didn't want to go through ICBC and he didn't ask me for money either because the Integra was really old and beat up. I was really nice about it though, saying that I was really sorry and would try to help him buff it out. In your case go for the free paint job unless you feel its not worth it but it sounds like the guy was a dick and wouldn't admit fault.
Again, I didn't see the guy hit me. But he was very close (like about 5cm apart when I got to my car). Maybe he is telling the truth. But my scuffed bumper perfectly matched his scuff marks on his. That's why I reported it - ICBC will determine if he is lying or not.

Free paint job or not, I have no preference. My whole front end was freshly painted back in Sept in another accident. Haha
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
The dail-a-claim lady didnt say. She just asked me to go to a claim center.

Usually, when I see a car gets very close near mine, I will try to remember the plate. But this time he left so fast I only got his 3 digits.

I started from Fraser and 47th. He was stopped at a red on 49th. So I decided why not? At least I tried if the Rav4 wasn't the one that hit me. Chased him on Fraser down to Marine. I think he knows I am following him so he tried to lose me. Finally he pulled into one of those warehouse parking lots and did U-turn. I honked, followed, he parked on the curb, I went in front of him.

Got out of my car and asked him to roll down his windows or step out. He stepped out and asked me why I kept on chasing him. I asked him about what happened back at Fraser and 47th and he started denying he touched my car. I started taking pictures and told him ICBC will determine whether he backed into my car or not. He continues to deny and he left his car parked there and went into one of the warehouses. I guess he works around there.

Anyways, he could have a gun or knife to stab me. But I just wanted to clarify the situation.
Posted via RS Mobile
I could be wrong on this, but I see it this way. He hit you, realized oh shit, and tried to get away. At the light saw you and kept an eye on you as he drove and realized that you were following him on the suspicion about the bumper and tried to shake you.

I mean, unless there was some serious road rage to make him scared of you (he cut you off and you started tailgating like no tomorrow), nobody would really notice being followed because hey, you could just be headed the same way coincidently.
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

That guy is a son of a bitch.
Birchum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Report it to icbc. They will get both cars to the shop. If everything matches, they can get the other party to pay. The other party will be frustrated for sure to bring his car in. Send the other guy a message to be more careful while parking.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #32
SardaukarMod

i'm not quite sure how easy it is to get bank surveillance tapes. they'll probably write over the hard drive within a few days if nothing happens (no robbery).

also, icbc is not CSI. unless the other driver cops to hitting you, or the scratches match perfectly somehow, it's a very hard case to prove. but good luck with icbc. absolutely no harm in reporting.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
i'm not quite sure how easy it is to get bank surveillance tapes. they'll probably write over the hard drive within a few days if nothing happens (no robbery).

also, icbc is not CSI. unless the other driver cops to hitting you, or the scratches match perfectly somehow, it's a very hard case to prove. but good luck with icbc. absolutely no harm in reporting.
I use to work in the same bank - footage can be obtained

Yea, just seeing what ICBC has to say. If not, then whatever.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #34
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
OT but I remember a friend of mine was making a left way back in grade 12, and an oncoming car clipped his rear bumper partway through his turn. The woman that hit him was a C-Lai and I guess she didn't know any better and thought it was her fault, so she took off, and my friend took off too LOL. Still remember trying to help him put the rear bumper back on, I'm pretty sure he drove all the way home with it dragging lol.

Double hit and run ftw!
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Without reading ALL these posts, I may be reiterating what others have already said. However, you 100% did the right thing in this case.

ICBC most certainly won't have the chance to laugh at you...They may want to! But they can't. At the end of the day, all you really needed was the license plate of the vehicle that hit you. Lucky for you, you got that plus pictures of the other vehicle immediately after the hit and run. Now not only will the other party be held liable, but this man can be charged for a few other things, I'm sure.

On a side note, I find it amusing the variety of people that are in the world today. In the parking lot at work, my Audi was hit by a Mazda van. The asian lady driver came into the store where I work and gave the license plate number to the front and told them that she had hit the vehicle. At first I made my stereotypical thought in my head of it being an asian lady who had to have had hit my vehicle but then stopped and realized that this lady was doing something that NOBODY else would've done.

Looking at the damage, it was SO minor! Of course it being an Audi, the costs were an arm and a leg but physically the damage was hardly noticeable. Still this lady felt compelled to make sure she did the right thing. She had no idea how insurance worked and she was certainly not "well-off." If only the world had more people like this.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #36
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Well, a lady driving a mazda van doesn't really count as a c-lai...

But well, props to that lady anyways.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #37
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Well, a lady driving a mazda van doesn't really count as a c-lai...

But well, props to that lady anyways.
Well I guess it's a good thing that I never referred to her as a "c-lai" then...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #38
Banned By Establishment

let ICBC do their thing and compare the damage. They will tell you if the damage lines up or not. Go from there.
It is a matter of principle. I would have done the same.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #39
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Just go through ICBC, and double check how bad the damage is on your car. Judging from those pictures I think the RAV4 did hit your bumper, but not enough to damage anything..so it might have just been dust from both cars. But I do see a small line at the top of your bumper...so check it out, if you haven't already. Try and dust/clean the area first to make sure there IS damage..because if there isn't then a great amount of time is wasted. GL!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #40

So after meeting with the adjuster, here is what he has to say:

1. My damage will cost $450. It includes painting the whole front bumper, the estimator didn't want to just give out a cut polish work order. Oh well, doesn't affect me.

2. ICBC will have to track down the other driver and see what he say to say. This will take anywhere from 1-3 weeks.

3. If the other party does not respond, then they are going to do a final notice and will "decide" without his presence.

4. If they can't determine fault, either 1. I pay the deductible for hit and run, or 2. They have both cars to match up the height and damage.

So for now, I am playing the waiting game. Hopefully everything goes well, and the other driver doesn't make up bullshit stories that I hit him instead.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #41
Need to Seek Professional Help

well, good luck to you as i feel you are right on your hunch
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #42
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i just went through this, you got the card of the ICBC adjuster right? just email her every week and eventually they will issue their ruling. if the guy doesn't show up they get the rcmp to pick them up.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote