REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Hospital Patients Treated at Tim Horton's Due to Overcrowding

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...overcrowded-er

Quote:
NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS1130) - Canada's federal health critic isn't surprised after hearing several patients were being treated at the Tim Hortons restaurant in Royal Columbian Hospital last night.

The Fraser Health Authority confirms patients were being treated at the coffee shop and makeshift "rooms" were created because the hospital's ER was overcrowded.

News1130 has learned the restaurant is a "designated overflow area."

David Plug with the FHA says at least four patients were taken to the coffee shop. "The patients that were in the area were safe and appropriate and cleanliness was considered, so there was cleaning before and after. There were no infectious diseased patients, there were just patients for general medical concerns."

Critic Ujjal Dosanjh says money isn't the issue because $42 billion has been spent on health care over the last decade.

He adds this situation proves there are efficiencies and practices that could be improved. He explains the federal government has ignored health care on a national scale, despite a 2004 agreement to reduce ER wait times. "For instance, the Prime Minister and the premiers of this country have never met and discussed health care in the last six years."

Interim NDP Leader and New Westminster MLA Dawn Black says the hospital's problems can be blamed on 10 years of Liberal rule.

She's worried incoming premier Christy Clark will only make things worse by cutting health care funding. "If she did that right now that would mean a further cut to health care. A big cut to health care of over $700 million. We need to hear from Ms. Clark, what is she going to do to actually put families first, instead of just talking about putting families first."

Health Minister Colin Hansen says the staff did the best they could with the situation they had. "You don't leave people sitting in the back of ambulances waiting to unload a patient. There is capacity that can be used for when these very rare occasions arise."

He adds there won't be an investigation and what was done was "appropriate care."

Shelley Fisher, whose mother suffers from serious heart related problems, called News1130 to say her mom was one of the patients. "So she got an ambulance ride to Timmy's. I don't think that's something you can say every day. My God, how low is our health care system going to go?"

She says paramedics did an EKG on her mother and some blood work. Fisher adds the area was very noisy and unsettling, especially for seniors.

Dosanjh says there is no evidence that private health care would lighten the ER overload.
Would you like a double-double bypass?
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Whats the matter? increases efficiency of doctors and nurses by minimizing the distance between coffee and patients.

jokes aside though - it's pretty gross...
Imagine buying a coffee while someone sitting next to the line has a broken leg screaming in pain or something
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Honestly its really unethical to have a makeshift ER in Tim Hortons. Efficiency, yes and its an emergency but I hope this is only a very rare case because if something really goes wrong, then Tim Hortons will be dragged in liability and hospital authorities as well.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
Whats the matter? increases efficiency of doctors and nurses by minimizing the distance between coffee and patients.
hahah
Quote:
jokes aside though - it's pretty gross...
Imagine buying a coffee while someone sitting next to the line has a broken leg screaming in pain or something
So what caused the limited hospital space? An influx of patients? Are more people getting themselves injured or more people moved to the area? Or maybe the hospital isn't being efficient with their resources? Says more money has been put into health care so I would assume it went to more efficient practices. =S

That Tim Hortons is within the hospital I believe. I drive by there everyday for school and haven't seen one so it does make sense why it was used during times of need.

But does that mean that theres limited space in the E.R. or are there limited doctors?

Would suck trying to eat your BLT while some guy starts coughing all over it next to you.

edit*
lol'd at this comment

Quote:
What kind of society do we live in when we build a Tim Hortons in a hospital to make it easier for people to eat sugar coated donuts and drink coffee. Do any of you know what the dough is composed of? How about the coffee whitener? Bet that stuff is healthy............................not! Next time you're in the emergency ward, take a look at all the people who shouldn't be there. You might even look in the mirror.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
lol my friend put this on her facebook earlier today, i thought she was joking ahahah
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
I am grateful grapefruit

Honestly, I don't see the issue with using Timmy's. It's not an ethics problem - an issue arose where there was a lack of ER space - and that was solved with using the next best area. It would've been unethical for them not to treat patients - or have ER doctors locate to a completely different part of the hospital just to treat those extra couple patients. Those few minutes walking across the hospital could be better spent walking a few steps into the timmys to take care of the 4 patients they didn't have space for.

Hospitals all have insurance - as do doctors - should any issues arise. I'm sure the hospital lawyers have gone over things like that or else there would be a big investigation from it.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #7

Reading the comments,

One person mentioned that maybe Tim Hortons was used to exaggerate the severity of the situation. Why couldn't they use family waiting rooms or the halls?

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

We need submarines to protect against the Russians in the north (6 billion) and fighter jets to fight the war on terror (16 billion), people could be treated in the allies for all I care, we need to protect our freedoms.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
We need submarines to protect against the Russians in the north (6 billion) and fighter jets to fight the war on terror (16 billion), people could be treated in the allies for all I care, we need to protect our freedoms.
Could use a laser cannon to protect ourselves from extra-terrestrials

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Damn Olympics,would have a brand new hospital,But screw that,Government needs to step there shit up,why not,already paying hst.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
What the fuck does this have to do with hospital overflow?

And treated in "allies" like the States, or in "alleys" like the place where addicts shoot up in the DTES?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Alleys... If you ask nicely, maybe another forum member can help you make a connection of the two. My time is too precious.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Alleys... If you ask nicely, maybe another forum member can help you make a connection of the two. My time is too precious.

*facepalm backflip*
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
"Entertainment" mod.

So you don't want to explain your own thesis? Care to explain why your understanding of the world is far above mine, and apparently, the rest of RS? Clearly, you can make an opinion, but refuse to back it up "because you think it's a waste of time". Learn to do so before you post something.

If you're questioned, be prepared to answer; don't sidestep it and try to make yourself look superior. Looks like you haven't learned anything from the thread you made.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I don't think is overcorwding is how efficent they work. Last time my sister went to the ER (like 2 months ago) it took us more than 3hours before she went in. Once inside half of the beds were empty lol and you see the nurse chatting with each other not really doing anything.

We should either fire these lazy nurse or get rib of the union so they know they have to work or get fire.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

What you described goes right to the top. If there was a policy (1st world expectations) to have less waiting times, the appropriate actions would be taken to fix the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
So you don't want to explain your own thesis? Care to explain why your understanding of the world is far above mine, and apparently, the rest of RS? Clearly, you can make an opinion, but refuse to back it up "because you think it's a waste of time". Learn to do so before you post something.

If you're questioned, be prepared to answer; don't sidestep it and try to make yourself look superior. Looks like you haven't learned anything from the thread you made.
When members here make outlandish remarks of "they deserve to die" why arent they scrutinized, but when I make my liberal views, I have to answer to them? If you cant see the connection between multiple billions of dollars spent on military arms and the lack of medical service in our country, Im not going to hold your hand and teach you what the problem here is.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Wow it's been awhile since I failed an Arash post... just had to come in to get my fix.

I will now leave this thread never to return.

Berz out.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Berzerker bro, with a province so rich in minerals, fish, hydro electricity and forests as ours, Do you think treating patients in a Timmy's store is acceptable?
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
What you described goes right to the top. If there was a policy (1st world expectations) to have less waiting times, the appropriate actions would be taken to fix the problem.
When members here make outlandish remarks of "they deserve to die" why arent they scrutinized, but when I make my liberal views, I have to answer to them? If you cant see the connection between multiple billions of dollars spent on military arms and the lack of medical service in our country, Im not going to hold your hand and teach you what the problem here is.
Canada spent 21.8 Billion on their military this past year. While 56 billion was spent on social reforms (health care, social programs etc.) So while yes, we spend money on our military, we dump a LOT more on programs for everyday citizens. So your point is moot, what our military does (which isn't that great to be honest) has no real connection to our health care (which is free for us to use.)

However, your thesis does apply south of the border.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Im sure that military money will go to good use when the boogieman comes knocking, in the meanwhile enjoy paying your taxes.
edit: Btw, are the receipts for those "social reform" bills made public?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Im sure that military money will go to good use when the boogieman comes knocking, in the meanwhile enjoy paying your taxes.
edit: Btw, is the receipt for those "social reforms" bills public?
You seem to be implying that you don't pay taxes?

I think every country has a military, even if it is paper thin. Regardless, every country needs something to protect them from international attacks. So YOU want to be conscripted to fight our wars? Are you willing to be taken over by another country? Who provides aid in the event of a disaster?

Does it matter about EVERY little thing the government spends on healthcare? I think the "receipts" would be the length of the world if you REALLY want to get into it. What matters is they accounted for it in the budget and released the numbers for the public to see.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Reading the comments,

One person mentioned that maybe Tim Hortons was used to exaggerate the severity of the situation. Why couldn't they use family waiting rooms or the halls?
Using halls is a daily occurrence, it used to be called overflow but now its just regular flow. Waiting rooms and everywhere else were of course the first option.

The Timmy's is right beside the ER, literally. Its about 10 steps from the ER department.

Yes treating people in there isn't optimal but these aren't the people who have severe trauma.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
You seem to be implying that you don't pay taxes?
What I mean is that our tax monies serve the interest of other entities, not the people, and your thinking is the opposite.

We are being over taxed when this province could invest in its own man power and resources to make a surplus and even pay us back. It probably still does, but Im sure the crown corporation just stifles it for itself
Quote:
I think every country has a military, even if it is paper thin. Regardless, every country needs something to protect them from international attacks. So YOU want to be conscripted to fight our wars? Are you willing to be taken over by another country? Who provides aid in the event of a disaster?
You do know we are surrounded by vast seas and that our corporate neighbour, the USA, is the largest military in the world. If anything this country would get liberated and we can stop sending our citizens to illegal wars which only has boosted opium production in the world. Funny how the illegal drug trade banks in 320 billion a year.
Quote:
Does it matter about EVERY little thing the government spends on healthcare? I think the "receipts" would be the length of the world if you REALLY want to get into it. What matters is they accounted for it in the budget and released the numbers for the public to see.
I'd like to see accountability, our corporate allies pillage other countries standard of living and we pay great sums of money to support the broken immigrants that arrive in this country. While the system makes no tariffs on imports so that we are jobless and have to fight with each other to make a living. Military, medical, education, infrastructure ect, show us exactly where the money goes and how much tax money is available.
If you accept this kind of blind spending accountability, your too gullible.

Last edited by Arash; 03-01-2011 at 05:38 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #24
I am grateful grapefruit

They mentioned that at one point that night, there were 200 patients (claimed by Hansen) which is just ridiculous for a late night at the ER.

I have multiple family members and friends in the field - and they can all attest to the amount of idiots who enter the ER. My sister - when she was working a late night shift at lions gate - told me that to every other person to entered the ER - she would literally have to ask the question, "What made you come to the ER in the middle of the night for this...?" There are people who would say, "I've had this pain in my stomach for the past few months... I wonder if it's serious." etc.

These are the idiots who clog up the ER's at the hospitals - the ones who don't bother having a regular family physician - , or the hypochondriacs who think they always have some crazy disease when they only have a cold.

I don't support privatized health care like in the states, but with our socialized health care systems - these are the issues that you will get - because people don't have to pay a few thousands dollars for a hospital visit.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Are they hiring nurses for that late shift? Where there is a demand, there should be work.