REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

BC speeding ticket. AB resident

What are the consequences of being pulled over in BC assuming I have a speeding ticket from 3 years ago unpaid?
Advertisement
yee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
In BC there are no warrants issued for VTs. If you have never had a BC DL, the MVB will issue you a "BC DL number" for reference purposes. You will not be able to complete any MVB transaction until the fine plus interest is paid in full. I'm not familiar with the Alberta MVB so I can't comment on if Alberta MVB will come after you in Alberta for the money. There may be a co-operation agreement in place between the 2 provinces?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. So what does VT and MVB stand for exactly?
I don't think Alberta is coming after me but I've recieved letters from ICBC a couple years ago. So if I am pulled over in BC again they wouldn't arrest me and impound my car? I also lost my ticket so i dont even know how I would pay it!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
racing & tech mod.

VT = violation ticket
MVB = Motor Vehicle Bureau (ICBC in BC)
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

If you decided at any point you wanted to pay it (while here in BC), you could attend a court registry or an ICBC Drivers Licencing center and provide your name, date of birth and Alberta licence. They'll be able to look it up for you that way. An Autoplan office might be able to help you as well.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

So I should pay it if I ever want to get a BC DL? But if I don't and I get pulled over (with AB DL) I wouldnt get arrested and towed? Thats my main concern cause I have a weekend in Vancouver and wont want to spend it dealing with that. Just in case i get pulled over..
Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
I'm curious as to why you haven't/didn't pay the speeding ticket from 3 years ago?

If it isn't too much money and you were guilty of speeding, why not just pay the ticket and be done with it so you won't have to worry?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #8

It just never came to my attention until my trip. I kinda put it off for a while then ICBC stopped sending me letters and I forgot all about it. I am going to pay it when I'm there. just don't know how much it will be with the interest.. :s
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Ok to address your concern....

NO nothing will happen if you get pulled over here as a result of you owing a ticket. You will NOT be arrested and your car will NOT be impounded.

However, you will NOT be able get a BC license without paying it off. In fact there are a lot of things being tied in with ICBC now so that if you owe money you will not be able to renew your license OR insurance without first paying off the amount owed.

Berz out.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee11 View Post
It just never came to my attention until my trip. I kinda put it off for a while then ICBC stopped sending me letters and I forgot all about it. I am going to pay it when I'm there. just don't know how much it will be with the interest.. :s
Easy way to find out to just call. I believe they have a 1-800 number too so it won't cost you anything.

http://icbc.com/contact-us

Its there: 1-800-663-3051

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
I am grateful grapefruit

I thought ICBC partnered with AB so you will have to pay off your tickets before renewing your AB license.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #12

No they don't. I've renewed my license and got my motorcycle license since. No problems. Another reason I kept putting it off haha
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Hey...give the guy a breaak....he's been punished enough. He's living in Edmonton in the WINTER...and he has that crummy hockey team instead of the magnificent Cannucks.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: