REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Food to Get More Expensive (https://www.revscene.net/forums/639227-food-get-more-expensive.html)

InvisibleSoul 03-04-2011 01:46 PM

Food to Get More Expensive

Loblaws, which owns Superstore, announces five per cent increase

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Get ready for your grocery bill to rise. A consumer affairs professor figures grain prices will go up first, followed by meat and produce.

"Grains, they've been on the move for quite some time and they will continue to move," explains SFU's Lindsay Meredith, who tells us that's because grain is used to fatten up livestock.

"Fruits and vegetables will join the parade of price hikes,"he adds. "All of that stuff has got to get delivered out of California and Mexico; it all basically comes by long-haul delivery. Diesel prices are going right through the roof, as well."

"It's going to spread right through the entire system unfortunately," he says. "The big picture is that this is a precursor to inflation."

Meredith tells us that means it will cost you more to eat at a restaurant -- and remember, you still have to pay that HST. Loblaws, which owns Superstore, has announced a five per cent increase in prices by April.

"Gosh, doesn't this sound eerily reminiscent of the oil price spike that was the precursor to our disastrous recession?" queries Meredith. "I hope we are not on the same rollercoaster folks; it could be one hell of a ride."

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...more-expensive

:fuuuuu:

1exotic 03-04-2011 01:50 PM

gas prices

Tegra_Devil 03-04-2011 01:53 PM

hooker prices

murd0c 03-04-2011 01:54 PM

And when gas prices go down I will bet all the money I have they won't lower the cost of the food. A complete joke and a way for the investers to cash in while fucking everyone else.
Posted via RS Mobile

Greenstoner 03-04-2011 01:56 PM

i think its matter of time BC residents going crazy ?

gas price, food price, hydro bill are going up .. really hoping they keep raising the price until we cant afford it.

People in BC are too mellow, we whine but we hardly do anything.

skyxx 03-04-2011 01:58 PM

So apparently people weren't ready for this? I'm sure it's quite obvious that produce will become more expensive every few years with many price hike factors. It's inevitable.

krazynuck 03-04-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7329049)
gas prices

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 7329053)
hooker prices

guess u gotta take the bus to pick up the hookers now

skyxx 03-04-2011 02:03 PM

^ Act drunk, they'll let you on for free. :troll:

Then I'll blame you for the reason why TransLink always ask for more money each year.

BNR32_Coupe 03-04-2011 02:15 PM

what's the problem, revscene?*stretches fingers* :devil:

jack3d 03-04-2011 02:21 PM

Gas is sitting at 1.30 today, what a ****ing joke!

jasonturbo 03-04-2011 02:29 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird how everyone bitches about the price of food/gas yet their happy to sign up for a million dollar mortgage and get excited when they see the price of the average SFH go up 5%.

The 5% increase in food prices doesnt even fucking compare to the outrageous increase in the costs of housing.

Oleophobic 03-04-2011 02:30 PM

I buy a ton of eggs from superstore and i noticed in the past month prices have risen from 2.21 per dozen of extra large eggs, to 2.47 , to now 2.79..

ffs

gars 03-04-2011 02:31 PM

the only good thing I can see that will come out of this is that Local Produce will be more popular - which to be honest, is much better for everybody. Better for the environment, better for our economy...

!Yaminashi 03-04-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenstoner (Post 7329060)

People in BC are too mellow, we whine but we hardly do anything.

THIS

Cant say I'm surprised that the cost of everything is going up.
However I wont complain, I'll just bend over and continue to be buttfucked like everyone else..

FRStan 03-04-2011 02:40 PM

Everything increases...

Except our wages. FFFUUUUUU
Posted via RS Mobile

taylor192 03-04-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7329057)
And when gas prices go down I will bet all the money I have they won't lower the cost of the food. A complete joke and a way for the investers to cash in while fucking everyone else.
Posted via RS Mobile

Safeway has been lowering prices for the last couple years as people turned to cheaper Marketplace and Superstore. It does happen.

TheNewGirl 03-04-2011 02:47 PM

Thankfully by April the farmer's markets will be starting up.

Matlock 03-04-2011 02:47 PM

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUU HST + Loblaws

No wonder I heard a truck full of pigs got hijacked on the radio. Food is fucking expensive.

kyoshiro 03-04-2011 02:56 PM

well atleast theres still costco and their steak in bulk

taylor192 03-04-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7329116)
Thankfully by April the farmer's markets will be starting up.

You should see the costs there even more so. Local farmers should be hit even harder by energy costs as they don't do the volume of large farms to average it out.

taylor192 03-04-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7329098)
the only good thing I can see that will come out of this is that Local Produce will be more popular - which to be honest, is much better for everybody. Better for the environment, better for our economy...

I disagree with you. Local produce requires more energy cause of less volume and more temperamental growing seasons. Local produce should be more affected by what is going on, not less.

All that organic food hippies love to buy will cost much more.

bloodmack 03-04-2011 03:02 PM

cool that means I can charge them 5% more on my rates to haul their loads :D

gars 03-04-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7329135)
I disagree with you. Local produce requires more energy cause of less volume and more temperamental growing seasons. Local produce should be more affected by what is going on, not less.

All that organic food hippies love to buy will cost much more.

Local produce is more seasonal - but requires much less energy to transport to our markets. As well, there is a lot less energy involved in refrigerating before they make it to our local stores. They're much fresher because it takes less time to reach us as well.

Obviously - in the winter time, our local farmers don't do much business - but we should see produce prices go down in the summer/fall when the local farmers are booming.

murd0c 03-04-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7329118)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUU HST + Loblaws

No wonder I heard a truck full of pigs got hijacked on the radio. Food is fucking expensive.

Man if I saw a truck load full I pigs I would be temped to hijack it. Think about all that bacon :woot2:

Culverin 03-04-2011 03:31 PM

Why did they have to announce this?
Isn't that just bad press?

Can't they just secretly increase pricing to match market conditions?
That's what everybody else does.