REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
All Day, Err Day Mod

Just got rear ended, want rear bumper repainted

Hey Revsceners,

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area as this has been my first accident. I was rear ended during heavy traffic where the person behind me lightly tapped by bumper after he was following too close behind me. Surely enough, there were paint scrapes, so I took down his information and made an ICBC incident report. They told me to bring it in to an autobody shop and get it quoted.

NOW. this being my first accident and that I'm 0% at fault, am I illegible for free bumper repaint reimbursed by ICBC? Or do I have to pay some sort of deductible fee?

The second story to this is that my rear bumper had previous marks scratches from the previous owner, not to mention a crack where I had put plastic bondo in order to to seal it (plus I sanded it down). With this in mind, I was still rear ended, thus me being 0% at fault, should not pay for the damages done to my rear bumper.

ICBC is pretty smart in situations like these, but since I was already rear ended, I'd figure shouldn't pay anything on my end since I would be getting a repaint anyways..

UGH.. I don't know. My mind is all over the place since I've owned this car for less than 4 months and then someone hits me from behind.... ugh.

EDIT: Here are the pictures (theres a few more below)

Advertisement

Feedback of 40-0-0

-kT: "No man get a ruler and look, 12cm is long!"

Last edited by Nintensity; 03-16-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
i was rear ended 2 weeks ago? and i had some previous scrapes on my bumper as well. the estimator included my old damage into the estimate, he did mention that they usually just deduct the old damage from the estimate. i didnt have to pay a deductible since i was at 0% fault. hope that helps
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,881 Times in 744 Posts
You don't have to pay anything if it's not your fault. ICBC may or may not be willing to shell out for a full bumper repaint, but if they're not and that's what you want, find a shop that's willing to paint the rest of our bumper for an under the table type of deal.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Unless your previous damage is worse than the new scrape mark, ICBC usually lets it go.

Happened to me before. I got into a minor accident with the right side of my front bumper scratched. A week later, someone crashed into my left front end. I didn't pay anything and have my whole front end painted.

If the damage is bad enough, you might get your whole rear end painted.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
All Day, Err Day Mod

I'll supply pictures first thing tomorrow morning. Honestly, the damage is not that bad except for the plastic bondo I put on the rear bumper. The ugly gray plastic mold sticks out like a sore thumb, that's why. :/
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Someone rear ended me too, and the damange/scratch wasn't even half a cm wide. $950 in repairs.
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

go get it fixed, no money to pay. Just go find your body shop of choice. Comes out of the other drivers pocket.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
^ +1 to what was said above

you will not have to pay a deductible or anything since it was the other persons fault, and in most instances, if not all, ICBC will repaint the entire bumper so it matches, not just sections of it. Therefore the previous damage will get painted as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
^ +1 to what was said above

you will not have to pay a deductible or anything since it was the other persons fault, and in most instances, if not all, ICBC will repaint the entire bumper so it matches, not just sections of it. Therefore the previous damage will get painted as well.
Depending on how severe the old damage is to the bumper ICBC will deduct paint time for painting the whole bumper.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
Depending on how severe the old damage is to the bumper ICBC will deduct paint time for painting the whole bumper.
Good shops inform the customer prior to making any repairs not covered by ICBC (at least mine did).
Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
Good shops inform the customer prior to making any repairs not covered by ICBC (at least mine did).
I would think most do. I would rage if they didn't
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
All Day, Err Day Mod

Sorry for the late in update, I was caught up with work. I finally got time to bring out my camera!

Here are the images. The first image shows the spot where he hit me (paint scratches, paint chips) The second image is the plastic bondo I put on my bumper. (mind you, this was not from the accident, I got the bumper on craigslist with the crack already there. He must have dropped the bumper on the ground as I'm sure it could have not been from an accident...

Is it still possible for me to get my full bumper repainted?

Feedback of 40-0-0

Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt all body shops follow the proper procedures for repainting a bumper? They would have to repaint the WHOLE bumper not just the damaged area.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
if they dont want to pay to repaint the entire bumper, just pay the additional cost to have it done and let them fix the bondo while theyre at it
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Only hack shops will try to spot in the bumper. All ICBC valet or accredited shops should and will paint your entire bumper. But will they fix everything not accident related? Thats where is its up to the body shop u choose to decide. U can ask them to do it, and id say some will do it for free. IMO since its ur rear bumper they will and judging from the pictures, it doesnt seem like its a big deal to do it.

Ive painted thousands of bumpers b4, and sometimes a bumper will come in with just a alil scratch on the corner, but i aint gonna fix the entire bumper for them especially if its a front bumper with a million rock chips in it.

edit* painting, and fixing are 2 completely different things

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 03-17-2011 at 10:21 PM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
All Day, Err Day Mod

Interesting, I'll search on Revscene for any body shops who would be able to do this

If you know anyone or recommend, let me know! Thanks, y'all!

Feedback of 40-0-0

Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Yup, I'm pretty sure they'll have to paint the whole bumper.

If they only paint that spot where you were rear ended the paint won't match the rest of the bumper and it'll be obvious that your car was hit which is a no no for them.

Someone rear ended me too recently and I was asking what their policies were regarding this. Although I'm getting a new bumper because the truck punched a hole through my current bumper and that's not really fixable.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

they repaint the entire bumper.
my dad got rear ended with only a tiny knick and the icbc shop repainted the entire thing.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote