REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
translink can sort of figure out how much money will be coming in from these fees based on student enrollment so they can draw out their business plans.
business plans? or debt plan?
Advertisement
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #27
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
^ yes that might make sense from an individual point of view, but from an administration standpoint, it will be a headache to figure out who will opt out and who wouldn't and secondly, from the financial standpoint of the organization, translink can sort of figure out how much money will be coming in from these fees based on student enrollment so they can draw out their business plans.

OP's intention may have been good, but it went to shit because his language was condescending towards other schools. lost all credibility there.
I think that's a flawed argument. When the optional-UPass program starts running for a while, they'd have enough empirical data to do develop their business plan.

You've forgotten Translink aint in it to please students, they're in it to make money. And what's better way than teaming up with the school's alma mater to rip off the students? Propaganda BS.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
30/month is like 100 bucks a term. just think of it as a rec fee or something
seriously, most of our tuition is subsidized by the government. other taxpayers who don't go to school and yet subsidize your education have far more of a right to bitch.

most of you wouldn't even be able to afford tuition if it was in the states without a scholarship. just be thankful.

too much bitching and whining in this thread /slitwrists
if your family makes less than 60k a year and you have the grades to get into the universities most universities WAVE tuition room and board.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb...e-collegeaid21

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=19226021

the endownments that some usa universities have is in the BILLIONS.

Either way your retarded. This is canada, we get taxed more than the states, we make less then the citizens in the states, and EVERYTHING IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN IN THE STATES. LIFE IS ALL RELATIVE. If you are poor YOU ARE POOR. Not only that university life on an american campus is something else. I've met alot of students that have gone to school in the states and here I'm fortunate enough to have 2 well paying jobs while going to school, but most students make 8 dollars an hour and recieve no support from loans or parents. I was at a tournament this weekend where people didn't participate because 20 dollars hurts their bank because they were trying to make school work.

You are royally fucked no matter where you go as a student, and in that matter I'd rather go to school in the states.

Last edited by Meowjin; 03-08-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #29
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

^ that's interesting but is waving the entire tuition done at the majority of universities and colleges? Most of the schools in that study were top tier schools. but it also said,

Most USC students from families that earn less than $40,000 a year receive full tuition grants of more than $34,000 and use loans, jobs and family help to pay the other $15,000 in costs for a residential undergraduate, he said.

so i am under the impression there are many schools like this and also the fact that tuition could be well over 34k at other places. however, 15k is still a lot more than what we pay here.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
i voted yes cuz i use that u-pass every day
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
^ that's interesting but is waving the entire tuition done at the majority of universities and colleges? Most of the schools in that study were top tier schools. but it also said,

Most USC students from families that earn less than $40,000 a year receive full tuition grants of more than $34,000 and use loans, jobs and family help to pay the other $15,000 in costs for a residential undergraduate, he said.

so i am under the impression there are many schools like this and also the fact that tuition could be well over 34k at other places. however, 15k is still a lot more than what we pay here.
Yes, but you are going to some of the best schools in the world. To put it into perspective my sister in law has a degree in Biosomething from USC. When she immigated up here after marrying one of my brothers, she found work in research with UBC (and mind you in the high 5 figures). She was competing against people who had masters in their science programs and with work experience. So sometimes a degree from a top tier university does matter.

Last edited by Meowjin; 03-08-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
i voted yes cuz i use that u-pass every day
Theres nothing wrong with that. Bus is cheaper. I wish I could get rid of my car, but it's too convenient.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
If Translink ever bother to up their security system and install automatic ticket gates like the world have been doing it for years instead of waste money on a bunch of pigs to nag people once in a while, they'd make a shit load of more money, the transit system would be better.
The pigs are actually a bargain compared to installing gates.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

And another fucking thing. If you guys are going to keep saying pigs because you know a few people that slang or you get busted for doing something illegal, never ever use the police service if you are ever robbed, in physical danger or in ever need of police support.

Seriously, we probably have one of the LEAST corrupt police forces IN THE WORLD.

fuck im full of rants today.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #35
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
I think that's a flawed argument. When the optional-UPass program starts running for a while, they'd have enough empirical data to do develop their business plan.

You've forgotten Translink aint in it to please students, they're in it to make money. And what's better way than teaming up with the school's alma mater to rip off the students? Propaganda BS.
did you read the newspaper today? well i did, and it said, you don't know what the fuck your talking about. The whole point of charging everyone was to subsidize u-passes so that everyone could get it for $30. If you made it optional, it probably wouldn't be $30 a pop. This is especially true if Translink was running at a loss already. It would be more "profitable" not to offer any u-pass at all.

btw if were gonna start bitching about $30/month for u-pass fees, might as well bring up rec fees (I've never been to the SFU gym), health benefits, student society and the rest of the list of fees you're forced to pay but mostly never use when you pay tuition.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 03-08-2011 at 02:53 AM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #36
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
I wouldn't mind taking the bus if Translink wasn't retarded. I remember the Victoria bus came an hour late on the day I had to write a midterm. Ugh make it optional please
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #37
The "You'd Know" Moderator

UP ASS. Nuff said.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #38
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

The U-Pass is a way for students to get to school because they can't afford a car. $30 vs. Car+insurance+gas. My family not in the best financial situation, so even though the service is retarded, it still gets me to where I need to go.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Making people who don't use it pay for it seems dumb to me.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #40
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

The problem trying to garner support here is that this is a CAR forum. Most people will never use the service and will be resentful that they have to pay irregardless.

But keep in mind this forum contains a skewed representation of the student body in Canadian universities and in fact a large portion of students use and gladly pay for subsidized transportation.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #41
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFresh604 View Post
The U-Pass is a way for students to get to school because they can't afford a car. $30 vs. Car+insurance+gas. My family not in the best financial situation, so even though the service is retarded, it still gets me to where I need to go.
When I attended SFU, I was rotating 4 jobs while I had a full course load. Taking the bus was not an option for me. The millennium line was still under construction, and translink did not have preferable routes for be to take taht would save me some time. It would take me 1 hour and 45 minutes if I took public transit each way. Having a beater car saved me time so I have enough time to make money and enough time to study.

Might as well have a Gas Pass where each student has to pay a fee per semester and get a discount card on gas of some sort. The more you use it, the more you save. It would work well if everyone drove to school. But they don't. Just like how the Upass does not work well since our public transportation system is not setup to be easily accessible for everyone.

The only way I would think the Upass would be fair for students is if our public transportation gets better. so everyone has better access. From my point of view, we're getting there...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #42
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Voted yes. From Richmond to UBC: driving > transit. Richmond to downtown for work: transit > driving.
zonda_s is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #43
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
The only reason why UPass is cheap is because the entire student body subsidizes it. If everyone who drives opt-out, it wouldn't be any cheaper than a regular bus fare. If UPass didn't exist more people will drive to school, meaning parking lots will fill up by 8am every morning and do you really think they'll make parking cheaper just because more people are driving? Nope. But in the case of a mass transit program they'll keep it affordable even if it does increase a couple of dollars every 2nd year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
what type of bullshit elitism is that? Go fuck yourself. How about that one?
Try seeing it from a UBC student's perspective.

You bus in to school everyday because well let's face it, parking is too expensive. You are happy with paying $20/mo for transit even if the services suck cause it's still the more affordable option.

Langara started UPass year or two back..fine every post-secondary student deserves cheaper transit fare as long as they subsidize it as a whole student body. The ridership on that one line UBC/langara students share increases but they barely increased the service. So the bus to UBC is 2/3rd full with langara students and the driver doesn't stop for you..a little annoying but whatever, just wake up another 10 min earlier if you wanna get to school on time.

Now UBC may lose its UPass program just because EVERY post-secondary school in BC is trying to get in on the program? Why would that make any sense? The way I see it, if colleges wants in, I have no problem, but they should subsidize as an entire school/student body and shouldn't affect other schools. This is barely elitism, that last line in my initial post was just me finding it humorous they changed the name Upass = Universal Pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I have something really crazy to add to this UPass hoopla.
YEARS ago when I went to UBC, I worked part time as a parking attendant.
Wanna know the real reason the U-Pass was brought in?
-UBC and SFU built lots of luxury condo towers, which brought them revenue through development fees etc.
-GVRD says that you can build them, but net vehicular traffic must not change.
-UPass encourages more students to bus in, therefore allowing for roughly zero change or even less vehicles travelling to campus.
-GVRD approves building permits, UBC/SFU get cash from luxury developments.
Not saying I don't believe you, but you got any source? Any reasons why GVRD would want same amount of traffic going into each campus? You have to remember there are over 40k students at UBC, and if more people bus in it really does cut down on the carbon footprint.
I think the whole condo development is a double-edged sword. I'm not sure what the case is with SFU but at UBC tons of the cash from condos actually goes back to help students like scholarships. So those that want to keep their greenspace can pay higher tuition if they want.
Quote:
30/month is like 100 bucks a term. just think of it as a rec fee or something
Quote:

btw if were gonna start bitching about $30/month for u-pass fees, might as well bring up rec fees (I've never been to the SFU gym), health benefits, student society and the rest of the list of fees you're forced to pay but mostly never use when you pay tuition.
Exactly.
The majority of the students actually uses the Upass, unlike the athletic fee which is probably supporting less than 15% of the population (varsity teams not fees where every student can go workout for free). Athlectic fee is roughtly the same as Upass yet I see way more people bitch about subsidized transit versus subsidized athletic programs when the reality is most students take the bus.

I know there's quite a few frugal students that drive to school on here..c'mon fess up..how are you planning to drop your car at dunbar&41st or on 4th ave and planning to bus in if U-pass doesn't exist and you have to pay $500 a semester to park on campus? Clearly you can't rely on the 'Where can I park at UBC for free' thread for your entire 4 years here. Enjoy that parking tax on top of your HST tax!

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingie
Instead of asking everyone to help subsidize the upass, why dont you help subsidize everyone for their parking pass?
Um, because having a car as a university student is supposed to be a luxury? Nevermind, I don't expect the majority of the RS to understand. Half of you in school probably don't even pay your own tuition. I understand that transit may not be accessible for everyone, but that probably means you are living in the suburbs and the cost of operating a car alongside with expensive university parking should already been factored in. Hence why it wouldn't make sense to subsidze parking passes. If people really couldn't afford parking that is probably more expensive than the value of their beater, then maybe they should considering living on campus.

Regardless, I accept my fails in the initial post for trying to convey the message on a car forum...just thought I'd get the word out anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
you get really angry when people that never take the bus (for whatever reason legit or not), have to pay on top several hundred dollars just so other can do so. l
Last time I checked it's hardly several hundred dollars.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-08-2011 at 09:03 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #45
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
shit kwantlen wants 40$/month and 160$ a semester those bastards lol
but then again we have no where near the amount of students UBC/SFU does

I wonder what the results were of the kwantlen vote for the U-pass....i voted no since it has no benefit for me in any way (selfish i know )...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #46
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

you guys are bitching about a $30 upass? The ones who can bitch are the people who used their own money to buy their car, pay for gas and insurance AND tuition. The people that have mommy and daddy pay for their cars have no right to bitch. wait till you guys come out of school and into the real world. See how much income tax you get deducted to give to homeless people on welfare. Working people pay for the ones who are too lazy to work. NOW THAT's something to bitch about.
anti_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #47

Quote:

I understand Translink has a broken business structure. But I don't see how 23,000 students paying at the regularly 120/mo will make them more money than 48,000 students paying at 30/mo.

Again, just basing this on UBC stats cause that's the one i'm familar with.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #48
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,964 Times in 535 Posts
if mommys and daddies are holding their kids asses thru university with a BMW or an Audi.. I highly doubt any of these kids will ever grow up to see the real world... they are in school for the degree and not the doors that opens to them when they get out... they have enough money to live off the rest of their lifes...

back to the point.. I do drive, but I also use the Upass everyday... to someone who anti_rice mentions... its hard enough to pay for tuition, gas and insurance.. thats why I am stuck in a 96 corolla who drives to the skytrain station everyday...

seriously people chill out, not everyone can afford to drive up the mtn everyday even IF the PARKING was free.. its like $9 worth of gas per DAY for me to drive up the mtn ...thats $180/mth ($720/semester) in gas alone if i decided to "drive" to school =.=
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #49
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I have something really crazy to add to this UPass hoopla.
YEARS ago when I went to UBC, I worked part time as a parking attendant.
Wanna know the real reason the U-Pass was brought in?
-UBC and SFU built lots of luxury condo towers, which brought them revenue through development fees etc.
-GVRD says that you can build them, but net vehicular traffic must not change.
-UPass encourages more students to bus in, therefore allowing for roughly zero change or even less vehicles travelling to campus.
-GVRD approves building permits, UBC/SFU get cash from luxury developments.
MOTHER FCKERS!!!
Bulldoze the condos and turn them into parking lots instead. The majority of the owners aren't even ubc students just rich mainlanders. And build some hospices so they won't come back. Don't know why they turned the campus into a residential area guess it makes lots of money at the expense of the students.

Last edited by Gee.Tee.Ar; 03-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #50
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
can't you guys just opt out? i know for SFU, if your transit time is more that 1.75hrs and you can prove it, you can get reimbursed

i was 1.75hrs away from SFU like a few years ago, then canada line got built, transit time went down to 1.5hrs, no more reimbursment, fucking skytrain
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote