REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #76
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazynuck View Post
i would predict 64% Yes and 36% No

but there should be a way to opt out if you buy a parking pass
GG 95% YES 5% NO

http://www.ams.ubc.ca/2011/03/ams-referendum-results/
Advertisement
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #77
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Sorry, I didn't explain. But, you got the jist of it.
For every person that uses the upass there is at least one person that does not use it.
So translink would be getting at least $60/month.

Do you think the ratio of non users is higher or lower than 1person?
I don't know what the ratio is, but from the way you put it i am assuming that you think translink makes more money this way.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post

thanks for those that voted.
I sense another wave of RS mass whining incoming
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #79
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^ i actually don't mind having the UPass, for those who can afford to drive and pay for the parking pass, it's their additional incentive,

but i just hate the translink system in Vancouver
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #80
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Increase in AMS fees
So close!
Question 5: AMS Fees
- This question PASSES
- YES: 4522 (~52%)
- NO: 4136 (~48%)
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #81
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Wow way more than I thought...only 678 voted no haha
Posted via RS Mobile
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #82
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
you learn a lot from their way of life and it beats talking to a group of arrogant CBC Sauder kids.
lol, Sauder undergrads must be the most hated group of students of any faculty in any school. Went to a party once and there were a bunch of UBC arts and science students talking about how douchey Sauder kids were.

I'm guessing it's cause they all think they're at Harvard even though they're really at UBC
breh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #83
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
^I'm a Sauder student and I agree with that. There's a very small portion of level-headed people to go with shit loads of stucked up wannabe businessmen jack-asses.

I also hated how they think they're somehow superior to other faculties, especially Arts, or even Engineering--I think Engineering kids are cooler to hang with
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #84
My homepage has been set to RS

I am guessing that not a lot of ppl voted even tho they oppose the u-pass, cause how can 5% come about? It shud be way more from my assumptions.

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #85
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,284 Times in 186 Posts
because students who drive don't care about things like this. they already pay atrocious amounts for gas and parking. I'm shocked to see how many people in this thread oppose public transit. it's really the only option for some people
Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
Increase in AMS fees
So close!
Question 5: AMS Fees
- This question PASSES
- YES: 4522 (~52%)
- NO: 4136 (~48%)
Did you just blindly vote "NO" on this one? or did you actually take the time to read about it?

Because if you did then you would've seen that the increase was only $5 because there was a reduction in the amount paid for health insurance. The remaining money will be spread around to some worthwhile purposes.

I won't be a student long enough to use some of the new services and buildings that will be built with the "increase" in fees. I personally don't mind because someone that attended UBC at one point in time had to pay some of the fees that funded projects that made UBC Point Grey into the campus it is today. This is just another part of the cycle.
SeanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #87

Last edited by m!chael; 11-05-2018 at 09:51 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #88

^^^Don't be mad.

Maybe health premiums will go up in the future, maybe not. The level of benefits that you can get from the plan will be paid out accord to the premiums paid. Some people never take advantage of the plan and that's their fault.

Well, I suppose I'm as ignorant about what the projects the AMS will take on with some of the fees the same as you then, am I right? Safe Walk is just like the health plan--effective when people choose to use it. No one knows how many rapes it may have prevented and it's better to have it exist than to have someone you care about assaulted. There's no going back from that.

Never said that UBC is the most awesomest campus ever. It's just the biggest university in the region that I can afford and that has my program. Like I said, if someone back in the days successfully lobbied against fees then I might just be learning in a shack on the Endowment Lands. Good thing for me that didn't happen or else I'd be complaining about the lack of service, buildings, facilities, etc. that exist now but I'm not.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #89

The reason only 5% opposed is because most people who drive don't know what the fuck is going on. They're just rich kids who don't give a shit about anything going on in school outside their classes.

Should have done this prior to the poll's end, but we should've taken those cards they give out promoting the U-Pass and stick it on the parking pass sensors at the gate. Then maybe we would get more than 5%...
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #90
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJohn View Post
Did you just blindly vote "NO" on this one? or did you actually take the time to read about it?

Because if you did then you would've seen that the increase was only $5 because there was a reduction in the amount paid for health insurance. The remaining money will be spread around to some worthwhile purposes.

I won't be a student long enough to use some of the new services and buildings that will be built with the "increase" in fees. I personally don't mind because someone that attended UBC at one point in time had to pay some of the fees that funded projects that made UBC Point Grey into the campus it is today. This is just another part of the cycle.
I guess 48% of those who voted also didn't bother to read the proposed changes? It doesn't take that much more time to read about the changes in fees, and then vote "No". Even after spending that one minute to read about the proposed changes, my vote remained the same. I've disliked paying fees for services that I don't use, for the last four years. The increase is only $5, but it's the principle; why can they not redistribute "their" money to funds with greater needs? Maybe the AMS can change the way they spend their money and prioritize their spending on whatever program needs the money most, instead of asking for more. They chose to lump all the proposed fee increases into a single vote instead of separating them; maybe if I could choose, then I would vote "Yes" towards fee increases for services that I support. Students could vote for services they support because they use them, and we would maybe see the services that really don't need that much additional funding.

For the 48% that voted "No" for the fee changes, some probably voted for the same reason that 5% voted "No" for the U-Pass; not wanting to pay for services they don't use. I understand some of the services probably would not exist without all students contributing through their AMS fees, but frankly, I have not used many of the services and therefore do not see the need to pay for them, let alone pay more for them. But either way, I expressed my opinion by voting "No", as did 48% of other voters, and at the end of the day, the $5 is not going to change my life; tuition fee increases and student loans on the other hand

Last edited by Spectre_Cdn; 03-12-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
I guess 48% of those who voted also didn't bother to read the proposed changes? It doesn't take that much more time to read about the changes in fees, and then vote "No". Even after spending that one minute to read about the proposed changes, my vote remained the same. I've disliked paying fees for services that I don't use, for the last four years. The increase is only $5, but it's the principle; why can they not redistribute "their" money to funds with greater needs? Maybe the AMS can change the way they spend their money and prioritize their spending on whatever program needs the money most, instead of asking for more. They chose to lump all the proposed fee increases into a single vote instead of separating them; maybe if I could choose, then I would vote "Yes" towards fee increases for services that I support. Students could vote for services they support because they use them, and we would maybe see the services that really don't need that much additional funding.

For the 48% that voted "No" for the fee changes, some probably voted for the same reason that 5% voted "No" for the U-Pass; not wanting to pay for services they don't use. I understand some of the services probably would not exist without all students contributing through their AMS fees, but frankly, I have not used many of the services and therefore do not see the need to pay for them, let alone pay more for them. But either way, I expressed my opinion by voting "No", as did 48% of other voters, and at the end of the day, the $5 is not going to change my life; tuition fee increases and student loans on the other hand
Fair enough, I can respect that.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #92

Last edited by m!chael; 11-05-2018 at 09:52 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJohn View Post
Like I said, if someone back in the days successfully lobbied against fees then I might just be learning in a shack on the Endowment Lands. Good thing for me that didn't happen or else I'd be complaining about the lack of service, buildings, facilities, etc. that exist now but I'm not.
Ignorant. You're seriously think buildings are built, renovated based on your little pathetic AMS fee? Please stop talking. The majority of funds upgrading your little "shack" in endowment lands come from UBC administration's fund raising and of course some rip off from student tuition fees (read: Henry Angus's renovation scandal).

Meanwhile, part of the AMS fees are used to funds service like $140 PER WALK. Is this a campus or a 5-star resort? To think that most of that amount is to pay administration who run the programs..
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Ignorant. You're seriously think buildings are built, renovated based on your little pathetic AMS fee? Please stop talking. The majority of funds upgrading your little "shack" in endowment lands come from UBC administration's fund raising and of course some rip off from student tuition fees (read: Henry Angus's renovation scandal).
actually majority will always almost be from our provincial government.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
actually majority will always almost be from our provincial government.
No. The government don't (or shall I say don't always) contribute the majority of capital support for UBC to build or renovate its building. A large part of that comes from fund-raising. And that has nothing to do with the AMS fees.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #96

Quote:

Meanwhile, part of the AMS fees are used to funds service like $140 PER WALK. Is this a campus or a 5-star resort? To think that most of that amount is to pay administration who run the programs..
That part of my post was meant to cover all fees: AMS, faculty-specific undergrad and miscellaneous fees taken on top of tuition. My fault for not specifying that.

Of course the majority of the funds for construction/renovations of buildings should be and is covered by the University, government, fundraising, private sector and private individual. With that there is no doubt. However, undergrad societies also take a small fee for construction or improvement of faculty buildings (ex. the new ESS/EUS building).

On a side note, I agree that $140 is a bit steep for one walk and there's gotta be a better way to administer the program--because it is an important program. Spending a little bit of cash to save one girl from getting raped is worth a little more than $140, don't you agree? If there is a more efficient and effective way to have more Walks with the same budget then I'm all for it.

Either way, both our positions are clear and there's probably no changing that. I'm satisfied with the variety, access and level of service I'm getting from UBC.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #97

Quote:
No. The government don't (or shall I say don't always) contribute the majority of capital support for UBC to build or renovate its building. A large part of that comes from fund-raising. And that has nothing to do with the AMS fees.
I've done fundraising in the past including buildings the Angus reno, Law Building and even Pharmacy building...majority IS from the gov't..fundraising alone only makes up to roughly 30%
Old 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #98
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

AMS biggest BS ever....vote my ass...they do want they want to regardless of vote...heck who knows if those numbers are even true...i did sub renewal research assignment and majority of the votes were against it but hellll they are still gonna do and is charging us increase amounts each year for sub renewal, i'm glad im gonna peace it after this year....

Screw the upass...been parking for free for four years...school monday - friday

thats right UBC!
2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX GSR SE - Keeper
|<e|_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #99
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Reverse the question to - end the upass system? I bet results would be totally different.

In theory, it should yield tge same results, but in real life it doesn't.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote