REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #51
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
can't you guys just opt out? i know for SFU, if your transit time is more that 1.75hrs and you can prove it, you can get reimbursed

i was 1.75hrs away from SFU like a few years ago, then canada line got built, transit time went down to 1.5hrs, no more reimbursment, fucking skytrain
fucking canada line

what I wish is for a way to opt out of the student health plan...as it stands you can only opt out if you have alternate coverage that is at least equivalent (I think?) to the health plan
fuck
Advertisement

Last edited by Oleophobic; 03-08-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #52
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
can't you guys just opt out? i know for SFU, if your transit time is more that 1.75hrs and you can prove it, you can get reimbursed

i was 1.75hrs away from SFU like a few years ago, then canada line got built, transit time went down to 1.5hrs, no more reimbursment, fucking skytrain
I tried to opt out, but they state that everyday has to be longer than a 1.75 hour trip each way. One of the days in the morning for me was just under 1.75 hours so I didn't qualify lol
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Jgresch; 03-08-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #53
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:

Didn't know you could reimburse. I just sold my UPass in RS. It helped me a lot as broke college student back in the day.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #54
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
I'm so glad I have graduated.

Also I would vote yes for you if there is a rapid train line from downtown back to campus central - but it is not to be.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #55
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I think the whole condo development is a double-edged sword. I'm not sure what the case is with SFU but at UBC tons of the cash from condos actually goes back to help students like scholarships. So those that want to keep their greenspace can pay higher tuition if they want.
Typical dose of bs that the AMS feed to the student. Tell me how many scholarships or bursaries are supported by the non-institutional development part of the endowment (or better yet, the annual value disbursed). Has any of the housing revenue actually gone into scholarships and bursaries, or has it just gone to CFI matching funds and the Barber Library?

Back in October 10', there was even a proposal by UBC to sell a large chunk of endowment lands to commercial housing developers--meaning zero of the money would be used to subsidize student housing.

I have no doubt the U-Pass will go through because people rather pay 30% increased in fees than a 400% increase. But why don't you people who blindly vote YES on everything ask yourself why would you have to pay shit tons of money on passes and fees while UBC are standing on mountains of gold from selling condos.

You want an example of how corrupted some big names of UBC are? Look at the clowns from Sauder (I'm not even gonna say Dean Dan since some fan boys might get butthurt). They sit on 25 million cash reserve yet levied 2 million on student tuition fees to pay for the Henry Angus building renovation project (phase 3 or 4 involving "gold-plating" staff office) by threatening loss of credibility and accessibility to the business career center.

There's a lot of shady business by UBC that you don't know of. Don't even lecture me about reading the fucking news.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #56
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Typical dose of bs that the AMS feed to the student. Tell me how many scholarships or bursaries are supported by the non-institutional development part of the endowment (or better yet, the annual value disbursed). Has any of the housing revenue actually gone into scholarships and bursaries, or has it just gone to CFI matching funds and the Barber Library?

Back in October 10', there was even a proposal by UBC to sell a large chunk of endowment lands to commercial housing developers--meaning zero of the money would be used to subsidize student housing.

I have no doubt the U-Pass will go through because people rather pay 30% increased in fees than a 400% increase. But why don't you people who blindly vote YES on everything ask yourself why would you have to pay shit tons of money on passes and fees while UBC are standing on mountains of gold from selling condos.

You want an example of how corrupted some big names of UBC are? Look at the clowns from Sauder (I'm not even gonna say Dean Dan since some fan boys might get butthurt). They sit on 25 million cash reserve yet levied 2 million on student tuition fees to pay for the Henry Angus building renovation project (phase 3 or 4 involving "gold-plating" staff office) by threatening loss of credibility and accessibility to the business career center.

There's a lot of shady business by UBC that you don't know of. Don't even lecture me about reading the fucking news.
I've been removed from UBC for several years now, but I feel your sentiment as well.

UBC is just like any other business, they're out to make money. Sure they'll say they will up the amt of scholarships, but a quick scan of the room in my old t-log classes will yield at least half of the class being international students from China, Mexico and the like.

While many of you who are in Science actually can see the physical improvements of your facilities, we at Henry Angus never got to reap the "benefits" of a new building that to my understanding is still not finished (gotta ask my sis). The worst part? I was a year or two removed from grad, and they had the audacity to get a student to call me, posing as a fake mentoring program thing and ask me a bunch of shit about courses, wasted half an hour of my life THEN leading to a donation sales pitch. They wont even give you any type of info unless you paid them 100 bucks minimum or something.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #57
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
My friend who works the finance department at ubc says about 50-75% of scholarships go unaccounted for.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #58
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Scew u, UBC, and that U-pass garbage. I graduated from that shithole like 7 yrs ago. I rmb paying for that U pass even though I took my car to school. Then on top of that paid ridiculous parking fees to pay to park in a gravel lot on the other side of campus.
How much does a yearly parking pass cost now ? A grand ? It was like 600 when I went.
If you choose to pay for the bus then pay for it yourself. If someone chooses to drive they pay for themselves. If you can't afford to take the bus then get a job!
Posted via RS Mobile
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #59

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
everyone know's it's not fair that the upass is mandatory.
But, it is necessary? for everyone to subsidize the program so it's so cheap.

I don't get it though, why not just charge the concession rate for all students in the program. ie. ubc, sfu, langara, etc.

Those who want the U-Pass should pay their fair share. Not pawn the cost off to other students.

So in reality, translink still get's at least $60/month per person using translink. $30 for the student that uses translink + $30 for the student that doesn't use the upass.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #60
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

^that does not make sense
how does translink get $60/person? you are saying, for every person that does use the u-pass, there is one person who does not. That would imply that ridership is 50% of the student population. I am pretty sure it isn't.

As well, there are other goals of the program such as people continuing to use transit well after they graduate.
“Not only will the U-Pass BC Program make transit more affordable for post secondary students, it will create a transit culture resulting in more people leaving their cars in the driveway, leading to less congestion and reduced greenhouse gas emissions,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Shirley Bond.

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...119-000675.htm

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
^ no wai..UBC is just scamming us! i couldn't find a job after my ubc degree..it was complete waste of my time so they must be evil cashgrabbers
DAMN i must get my $20/mo back cause I only used it for 5 minutes each day as a result of not being able afford parking at school..DAMN GRAVEL LOTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
I've been removed from UBC for several years now, but I feel your sentiment as well.

UBC is just like any other business, they're out to make money. Sure they'll say they will up the amt of scholarships, but a quick scan of the room in my old t-log classes will yield at least half of the class being international students from China, Mexico and the like.

While many of you who are in Science actually can see the physical improvements of your facilities, we at Henry Angus never got to reap the "benefits" of a new building that to my understanding is still not finished (gotta ask my sis). The worst part? I was a year or two removed from grad, and they had the audacity to get a student to call me, posing as a fake mentoring program thing and ask me a bunch of shit about courses, wasted half an hour of my life THEN leading to a donation sales pitch. They wont even give you any type of info unless you paid them 100 bucks minimum or something.
removed? lolwut
sounds like someone forced you with a gun to do your post-secondary education.
and that note about international students..they pay the REAL price on the cost of a standard north american university education. As already mentioned us domestic students are paying for a subsidized amount. TBH I don't mind the international students on campus...you learn a lot from their way of life and it beats talking to a group of arrogant CBC Sauder kids.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-08-2011 at 10:03 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #62
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
My friend who works the finance department at ubc says about 50-75% of scholarships go unaccounted for.
It's called an endowment fund...meaning the university never touch the cash that goes into the pot (principal). Only the interest that is accrued is given to the students..hence a fund that will never decrease in size and a gift that keep on giving..even in an economic recession.

Next, any more myths for me to debunk?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #63
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
^ no wai..UBC is just scamming us! i couldn't find a job after my ubc degree..it was complete waste of my time so they must be evil cashgrabbers
DAMN i must get my $20/mo back cause I only used it for 5 minutes each day as a result of not being able afford parking at school..DAMN GRAVEL LOTS!

removed? lolwut
sounds like someone forced you with a gun to do your post-secondary education.
and that note about international students..they pay the REAL price on the cost of a standard north american university education. As already mentioned us domestic students are paying for a subsidized amount. TBH I don't mind the international students on campus...you learn a lot from their way of life and it beats talking to a group of arrogant CBC Sauder kids.
I don't really care about the China ones, they're a lil annoying but most em are hardworking. But the Mexicans man? shieatttttt they dont do jack on projects.

And I'm mainly bashing Sauder, its retarded in many ways.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #64
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,404 Times in 554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
I don't really care about the China ones, they're a lil annoying but most em are hardworking. But the Mexicans man? shieatttttt they dont do jack on projects.

And I'm mainly bashing Sauder, its retarded in many ways.
Lets not get started on Sauder Undergrads. Holy shit.

But +1 on international students, they put the perspective on how much education really costs. I was buddies with one, and we both had to re-take a course. I was out $700, he was out $2700. I was like dammmnnn...
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #65
Need to Seek Professional Help

Last edited by m!chael; 11-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #66

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
^that does not make sense
how does translink get $60/person? you are saying, for every person that does use the u-pass, there is one person who does not. That would imply that ridership is 50% of the student population. I am pretty sure it isn't.
Sorry, I didn't explain. But, you got the jist of it.
For every person that uses the upass there is at least one person that does not use it.
So translink would be getting at least $60/month.

Do you think the ratio of non users is higher or lower than 1person?
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #67
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Sorry, I didn't explain. But, you got the jist of it.
For every person that uses the upass there is at least one person that does not use it.
So translink would be getting at least $60/month.

Do you think the ratio of non users is higher or lower than 1person?
It depends on how you look at it. Undoubtedly there are some people who use it yet don't commute to school with it.

Some of my coworkers drive quite frequently, but bus to work downtown (too expensive to park) or back home after a night of drinking (who wants to get impounded?). Once you have a upass, you'll be more likely to use transit.

Also: it is unfair that people who don't use a service have to pay for it. I haven't gone to the doctor in...a year? More? Yet I still pay my MSPs. Of course it's not exactly the same situation, but I'm paying for other people to go to the Doctor for free. It's still less than it would be on the whole.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #68

Ppl who go to ubc and are against the u-pass should log in to their ssc and vote "no". If you don't vote, we may not win over the ppl in favour of it making it mandatory again.
Posted via RS Mobile
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #69
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Fuck the Upass. Biggest waste of money in my academic year... along with those insurance coverage.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #70

u-pass is so useless, cuz of this shitty translink system

I spend about 1.5hour one-way bussing up this stupid mountain on a crowded bus,

if the U-pass was optional, i would've spend that money getting myself gas and a parking pass,
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #71
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Lol U-pass is like a shitty groupon
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #72
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I started the original vote no campaign back in 2001 posting up flyers, but it still went through. In my opinion, if you take transit student or not, you shouldn't get other people who don't take transit to help pay for it. The current trend is GREEN and I have no doubt that it'll get passed again for all those worried it'll get taken away :P
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #73

All they had to do was:

1) allow parking pass holders to opt out of upass; and
2) roll in those fees into parking pass fees (for everyone)

Same amount of money, a lot less whining. I dont think people who can afford the parking pass will suddenly stop driving and take the bus. Well, if they do, they pay the upass fee.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #74
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

When I was in school, I recall it always seemed to pass by a landslide victory. Pretty sure it's here to stay.
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelt View Post
When I was in school, I recall it always seemed to pass by a landslide victory. Pretty sure it's here to stay.
i would predict 64% Yes and 36% No

but there should be a way to opt out if you buy a parking pass
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote