REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
VLS Head Mod

Ideas to bring in revenue

So I need some help.
The company I work for has taken over the local Exhibition Grounds and I and another person have been tasked with bringing in revenue. Now this is something that is stumping me so I am asking revscene for help please
tia

So here's a general idea of what we have for us

WINTER AND SPRING TRAINING

• Winners Cafe, which is licensed, has a pool table and offers teletheatre betting
• 1-mile Track
• Round Pen
• Outdoor Arena
• Stall Rentals
• R.V./Campsite Rentals

The grounds, buildings and facilities can be rented for various events and functions:

• Horse/Cattle shows
• Rodeos/Barrel Racing
• Hunter Jumper Shows
• English Horse Shows
• Sulky Racing
• Horse Racing
• Weddings
• And more!!!

These grounds have had West Coast Amusements set up shop here before and are looking to have it again, we're looking into Monster Trucks but so far we've only got maybe 6 events happening between now and September and would like to be more busier than that.
Advertisement
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Sounds like they might not have given the task of increasing revenue to the right people lol.

No offense!

You also need to provide more details
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
VLS Head Mod

hahah no I agree. I am not good with brainstorming, I'm more of an office/administrative assistant but I would like to help out wherever I can...

What type of more information are you looking for? Ask questions and I will certainly do my best to answer anything I can for people willing to help me out
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
I think something you see a lot in the US but not in Canada is some kind of cooking contests. Pie baking contest, chilli, BBQ cook off etc. It will help bring people to the event and as well nothing beats good home made food!!

Work related but if you are ever looking for Trane part's let me know I'm the BC Distributor LOL
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
hahah no I agree. I am not good with brainstorming, I'm more of an office/administrative assistant but I would like to help out wherever I can...

What type of more information are you looking for? Ask questions and I will certainly do my best to answer anything I can for people willing to help me out
Lol well I'm not exactly the right person for that job either so my input might be worthless! But having said that I've been pretty good at making the construction companys I work for a lot of money...

Details would be like this...

Are you mainly looking at attracting new clients to rent the space?
Specifics of the "space" and exactly what is there.
Are you willing to invest capital to construct new facilities?
Are you willing to stab your coworkers in the back to save the company 60k/year? It's a fact the easiest way to increse profit is to reduce expenses.

There may beways to increase revenue wihout spending a lot of money, and if you can pull this off it makes you a good employee and shows that the company hasn't been very efficient in the past. It's a matter of risk management beyond that, how to best invest capital to garnish the largest possible returns long/short term.

I would encourage you to start with a goal, something realistic like "5% new business from XX sector".

The more details you can provide the more we can effectively help.

My first piece of advice though, take a look at the companys the way it is, and determine where money is being lost or spent in less than effective ways.

Edit: Just to put a specific example out there, I would encourage the grounds to put on an event similar to BVJ in Alberta, big name country bands don't charge as much as other music genres and there is a major country music scene in Western Canada... I'm sure the city of kamloops would be a big supporter of something like that as well. This is an ideal situation where you create the venue, not rely on other people to come in, rent your space and profit... when all that profit could be yours... (along with the risk)
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I think something you see a lot in the US but not in Canada is some kind of cooking contests. Pie baking contest, chilli, BBQ cook off etc. It will help bring people to the event and as well nothing beats good home made food!!

Work related but if you are ever looking for Trane part's let me know I'm the BC Distributor LOL
On the path of food, get people to come to a major event and advertise to food, and merchandise vendors to pay you rent to be there, you could also take a percentage of their sales. You could just get small time local bands who would be happy to just play for minimal fee or whatever. Just think about what kind of event you're having, and what do people need to use at these events. Food is the most obvious and the one most people will pay higher prices for.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
One word.

strippers!!!!!

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
double post

Last edited by TheKingdom2000; 03-09-2011 at 05:42 PM.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
In my experience, every company has baggage. Look at area's where you think too much money is being spent.
Concession, janitors, etc. and try and cut those back. Knowing a company like this there are a lot of employees that are not needed.

That would cut your operating costs down.

As for new business... Promotional events. You have to advertise or hire a promotion team. Kind of like those promo teams with clubs.
Like PI entertainment and how they promote plush night club. They just sell and hype up an event and try to sell to their friends, schools, randoms, etc.

I've been to the hastings track and it is pretty fun betting on horses and what not. Though, there are no young people there at all. We went for a friends birthday so it was fun just being their with friends getting a couple of drinks.

Though, I would never go there if it wasn't for the birthday. And even though I had a great time, I would never go there out of the blue. So I say an event would be the best bet. But, this will likely not get a steady stream of regulars as it was a novelty thing for me. So maybe a rewards program? That might get people coming back. Kind of like the BCLC card. Pointts = $$$
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
In my experience, every company has baggage. Look at area's where you think too much money is being spent.
Concession, janitors, etc. and try and cut those back. Knowing a company like this there are a lot of employees that are not needed.

That would cut your operating costs down.
This is gold, and the best part is this, when you fire a couple of these people in menial positions, all the other ones get scared they will lose their jobs and work harder. (So if you're really lucky you might even be able to fire additional people if a couple of them really start busting their assses.)

Mmmmm capitalism.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
None of this is helping, is it, saucywoman? I have some neat ideas. Perhaps you and I can get together........... oh wait.......... nvm.

First of all, is there any involvement with first nations, 'cause if you do anything in this country, you need their blessing. Make sure the premises is not on ancient burial grounds. If you have any type of gaming/gambling on the premises, you need to consider them as well. One way or another, they will get you for breathing the same air they do or drink the same water as they do, or........ you get the idea.

Sorry, First nations people....... it's not you guys I have a problem with. It's your leaders who continually rape you by taking the money that should go to the tribe and making sure the rest of you stay poor and helpless.

OK, I'm having one of those ritalin moments.

Strippers as suggested is a good idea, but this is a family oriented operation, right?

What's the community like? Lots of kids? Population stable? Mining town? What are you competing with? ETC.........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

hold weekly or monthly outdoor paintball/airsoft tournaments using portable obstacles?
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #13

Close off the exhibition grounds to the public.

Grow marijuana.

Profit.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #14

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
maybe more night events ... kinda like nightmarket .. but more festive type with a theme...
like a summer romance couple festival ... then you have cute Japanese girls walking about in kimonos with an asian umbrella going teehheehee tee hee hee

i actually these would prob bring in more people especially from richmond if it was more diverse theme instead of horse riding or an animal farm where it just stinks of pig shit
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Yep, festivals, ftw!

Is Merritt having their music festival this year?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #16

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Yep, festivals, ftw!

Is Merritt having their music festival this year?
haha i bet your just interested in the kimono japanese girls :P
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
VLS Head Mod

thanks for the input so far
k I don't know if this helps with anything but I work for the Kamloops Indian Band and they took over operations of the old KXA grounds http://www.kamloopsexhibitionfairgrounds.com/

We have a cafe with 3 employees that's open 6.5 days a week, where you can do the teletheatre betting.

We have been given the idea of getting bands in to play but since it's more of a rodeo type grounds I don't think strippers would be a viable option (maybe mudwrestling lol)

89blk civic merritt is a go again this year.

jasonturbo if you have nothing worthwhile to contribute please keep your comments to yourself

mx703 events are what we're trying to think of to bring here. As you'll see from the link, we're a bit limited as to what can happen. Like I said though, we do have West Coast Amusements setting up shop here

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Host a car show of some sort? Lots of RS members would be interested
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
If you are able to do it Mud Drags with trucks. If it's up in Kamloops I know TONS of people who would enter and I'm sure with the population up there you would get a huge response. I know they do them up there but not really sure where but google chilliwack mud drags for a type of idea.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
Ubereem Mod

Here's some good(or bad) input:

So it's in Kelowna, what you should do is, look into events that has been happening with the same size or near size event grounds. Near your location and see if they're willing to bring their venue into your location.

Which would bring your cost of acutally having to phosting an event way down, cuts down liability(depending on your contract.) and less work for you, unless again stipulated for your contract.

As the landowner(assumption) that would be the easiest method of a business model, and if they like what you've provided, then more days gets booked for the land, and more revenue.

You can host parties and so forth, but you're on hook for insurance/liabilties and selling tickets. Where this method doesn't require much other then you selling your LAND to ppl with prospective events.

Think of yourself as the convention centre.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Team up with the guys that brought Deadmau5 to kelowna last year. I might be able to find you the company name through my work. they are big, and try to do 1 event per month.

-could turn it into a bus yard or truck yard.

-sell the land build a hotel - hire a mgmt co. and collect passive income.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
You sure you want our input?

clearly you should have a beer garden

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
hookers and blow

with beer garden
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #24
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

... and glory hole

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Can you rent it out for rally-x events? I'm tired of going a few hours out for these.