REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #1601
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJonson View Post
Sources?? The reason i'am asking is because recently purchased green tea from costco its kirkland brand. It says on the back its a product of japan, should i be concerned?
Sure, but maybe not so much about the tea....
Advertisement
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #1602
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Sources?? The reason i'am asking is because recently purchased green tea from costco its kirkland brand. It says on the back its a product of japan, should i be concerned?
If that's a big concern, first thing you should do is go to google, click on news tab, and search "tea radiation" and see if anything comes up
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #1603
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
If you're going to be 'concerned' about something, be concerned about buckling up when driving, and look both ways before crossing the street.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #1604
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
and eating at fast food and chinese restaurants.

i think stuff from china is infinitely more sketch than anything Costco would sell.
So BBT or things you can buy from T&T, steer clear of those if you are ever "concerned".
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #1605
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
When the story about Pacific Wild Salmon being checked for possible radiation poisoning aired on Global, I went out the next day and bought a dozen of them from the local fishermen. I didn't give a rat's ass about it. I eat albacore tuna without worrying about mercury poisoning.

There's something bad in everything we drink, eat, and inhale. It's been that way since the beginning of time.

On a lighter note, they now have a good explanation as to why all those shoes/feet washed up on the shores of BC.................
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #1606
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Just an article - 6 months later

Japan Earthquake: Six Months Later - Alan Taylor - In Focus - The Atlantic
Zheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #1607
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
was watching NHK and they were showing in the hardest hit areas people are still homeless and on unemployment which is expiring next month the govt. is planning on extending the time for the unemployment but the situation is bleak in terms of getting these people employed again

and the death toll is around 15k confirmed with 4000+ still classified as missing :/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #1608
My homepage has been set to RS

i spent some time in fukushima city last year and the year before...can't believe i was so close to all this distruction. i just hope ppl thr dont need to suffer anymore than they already have, & things get better.

i remember i was with my friend who didn't speak any japanese, and we were looking for a good izakaya to drink at.. went to Family Mart (711 type store) one of the rep left his job, came to have a drink with us, after a couple of drinks he went back to work :P
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #1609
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Just heard another 6.6 hit Japan

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/16...pan/?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:
A 6.6-magnitude earthquake struck Saturday morning near the east coast of Japan's main island of Honshu, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake happened at 4:26 a.m. local time, about 67 miles (108 kilometers) east-southeast of Hachinohe, Japan, according to the USGS.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #1610
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Currently in Kure City and didn't even feel anything though!
Posted via RS Mobile
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1611
Banned (ABWS)

More problems for them.

Nuclear workers scramble as typhoon smashes Japan - Yahoo! News

"..Nuclear workers scramble as typhoon smashes Japan
By Yuka Ito | AFP – 4 hours ago....tweet16EmailPrint......Related Content.
...Map showing the path of Typhoon Roke. A powerful typhoon has smashed into Japan and …

..Rescue workers transport evacuees in a boat through floodwaters in Nagoya in central …
....A powerful typhoon smashed into Japan on Wednesday and headed for the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, where workers raced to protect buildings and reactors that are leaking radiation.

The storm, which was packing winds of up to 198 kilometres (123 miles) per hour, has killed at least five people and a million were initially warned to leave their homes over fears torrential rains could cause widespread flooding.

At around 7:00pm (1000 GMT) Typhoon Roke was centred 63 kilometres northwest of Tokyo, heading northeast -- towards the area that was devastated by a record earthquake and tsunami on March 11 that sparked nuclear meltdowns at Fukushima.

Hundreds of flights were cancelled, ferry and rail services were suspended and roads closed as the country prepared for the full impact of the storm.

Roke comes less than a month after another vicious typhoon barrelled through Japan, killing around 100 people in one of the deadliest storms the country has seen in decades and heaping more misery on the disaster-weary nation.

"We have taken every possible measure against the typhoon," said Naoki Tsunoda, a spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power Co, the operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant on the northeast coast.

"We have tied down cables and hoses while fixing equipment so that radioactive materials will not spread (in violent winds)," he said, adding operations on the ground and at sea had been suspended.

He said workers had also put tarpaulin over spots in buildings where rain could enter.

Around 20,000 people are thought to have died along the coast when the March tsunami rolled in, wreaking billions of dollars of damage.

The nuclear plant was sent into meltdown after its cooling systems were swamped by the waves, sending radiation into the air, sea and food chain in the world's worst atomic disaster since Chernobyl.

Five people have so far been found dead in central and western Japan in the latest calamity, NHK reported, while four people are missing including a boy who disappeared on his way home from primary school.

The broadcaster said 55 people had been injured as torrential rain battered some areas and caused flooding in others.

Prefectures across eastern Japan issued landslide warnings, telling people to stay away from areas at risk.

A tornado warning was temporarily raised across the Tokyo area, but expired a few hours after it was issued.

Many of the initial evacuation advisories were dropped by Wednesday lunchtime, but remained in force for around 330,000 people nationwide.

Auto giant Toyota temporarily shut 11 of its 15 Japanese plants, which lie in the path of the storm.

"The second (afternoon) shift is stopped. (It is) not resuming today," company spokesman Dion Corbert told AFP.

He said production was expected to resume Thursday.

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries temporarily closed five of its aviation and engine plants in central Japan due to the storm, a company spokesman said.

"The rain and wind is raging out there and people on the street were staggering," Yoshinori Ito, a spokesman with Hamamatsu City, in the centre of the country, said by phone.

TV footage showed residents in places walking through streets knee-deep in water.

A number of expressways have been closed, and ferry services that ply routes between the many islands that make up Japan had been stopped.

Around 450 flights were cancelled, grounding more than 45,000 passengers, Jiji Press reported.

East Japan Railway was suspending a number of services, including some bullet trains, but did not know how many passengers would be affected, a spokesman said.

Central Japan Railway said it had halted all bullet train services connecting Tokyo and Osaka, with no immediate prospect of them restarting.

..."
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #1612
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
^ I have a friend stuck in her office and with no way to get home

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #1613
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
6.9 just hit northern india

fuck i live under the rock..apparently it two days ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14967812
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #1614
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...

Last edited by cliffhanger33; 03-11-2012 at 11:35 PM.
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #1615
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Damn that deserves 2 fails from each person
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #1616
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
It's been a year now.

Nippon, Gambatte!

Just saw Jackie Chan in a commercial talking about the disaster on CNN.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #1617
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Holy crap.. its been a year already?

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #1618
I bringith the lowerballerith

Japan then and now...photos comparing what it was like after the tsunami and present day

Japan: Then and Now - Photo Gallery | Global News

Street view of some of the streets in Japan after the tsunami. Feels very eerie as there doesn't seem to be anyone around

Global News | Japan tsunami - Driving through the disaster zone
VrrM604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #1619
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ this is a bit more interactive
Japan tsunami pictures: before and after - The Big Picture - Boston.com
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #1620
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
the biggest disaster for japan is their political deadlock and stagnant economy
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
the biggest disaster for japan is their political deadlock and stagnant economy
The stagnant economy is somewhat or a myth - purported by subjective statistics.

If you look at the real production of goods and services, instead of just money growth, you will see Japan has fairly evenly paced their developed western counterparts.

Also, ask people who live in Japan, how much worse life is for them day-to-day since the late 80's. Come back to me with all the horror stories.

Its a mature economy; rapid China/India/Brazil like growth is not just unrealistic, but impossible.

I would argue that some nations' decisions to open the immigration floodgates during troubled times have made the countries far worse off in the long run, despite what the GDP numbers might suggest.

We don't live in a graph or table, we live in a society, country, and culture.

Japan has managed to retain theirs quite well through difficult times.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #1622

yes, a year had passed,
seems that japan recover so quickly......keep on going, japanese
311 is the day that japan had earthquakes and tsunami
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #1623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
The stagnant economy is somewhat or a myth - purported by subjective statistics.

If you look at the real production of goods and services, instead of just money growth, you will see Japan has fairly evenly paced their developed western counterparts.

Also, ask people who live in Japan, how much worse life is for them day-to-day since the late 80's. Come back to me with all the horror stories.

Its a mature economy; rapid China/India/Brazil like growth is not just unrealistic, but impossible.

I would argue that some nations' decisions to open the immigration floodgates during troubled times have made the countries far worse off in the long run, despite what the GDP numbers might suggest.

We don't live in a graph or table, we live in a society, country, and culture.

Japan has managed to retain theirs quite well through difficult times.

goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #1624

Japan hit again with 6.x quake...
Posted via RS Mobile
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
Yes, those are pretty pictures, and you posted them all by yourself.

How about reading these...

The Myth of Japan's Lost Decades - Kel Kelly - Mises Daily
Japan’s lost decade myth « Mostly Economics
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/op...pagewanted=all
The Myth of Japan's 'Lost Decades' - James Fallows - International - The Atlantic

If you care to learn something.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote