REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #726
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
another aftershock, 6.1

hit a while ago
Shook like a mother here. Jesus, if these aftershocks don't stop soon I swear I'm going to get PTSD or something.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #727
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
for those who cant get into contact with anyone

Quote:
People who have Canadian friends or family in Japan are asked to call the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at 613-944-2471 (613-943- 1055), or toll free within Canada at 1-800-606-5499 (or 1-800-387-3124).

You can also email them. sos@international.gc.ca
http://www.news1130.com/news/nationa...quake-disaster
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #728
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I was just watching this video. Look at the 2min mark on the right hand side you can see something flying through the water that is not part of the tsunami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqPdLK8G32A
holy shit... it starts from the middle of the screen...wtf

at first i thought it was a shadow of a helicopter but you can actually see it cut thru the waves
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #729
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Whoa what the fuck was that!

Berz out.
Just a weather baloon.....
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #730
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Shook like a mother here. Jesus, if these aftershocks don't stop soon I swear I'm going to get PTSD or something.
Posted via RS Mobile
hows your food supply wherever you're at right now?
all i see on CNN is that theres food and water shortage

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #731
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
hows your food supply wherever you're at right now?
all i see on CNN is that theres food and water shortage
Haven't been to the grocery store yet today but I grabbed some pasta and pasta sauce last night; enough to last me at least three more days. Will go down to get some more water and stuff later today but to be honest, I don't think its necessary in my area at all.

What areas were shown on CNN? In Tokyo, life is basically proceeding as normal. As its Monday tomorrow, I expect to have to go back to work...
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #732
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
Hey chun, if you have Facebook or twitter post a user name ore something so we can keep updated if you have time
Posted via RS Mobile
EDIT

Last edited by chun; 03-23-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #733
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,810 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
holy shit... it starts from the middle of the screen...wtf

at first i thought it was a shadow of a helicopter but you can actually see it cut thru the waves
I watched it, it's just the shadow of the helicopter. The horrible resolution and encoding of that video makes it harder to determine than it should be
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #734

did a meltdown actually occur or is cnn just bullshitting again. they were reporting a meltdown happened since yesterday afternoon which was incorrect so i dont really trust them. on a side note anyone notice all the earth quakes happening down our side of pacific now?
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #735
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Just reading this over from roughly 10 pages ago, since I missed a lot of the first-impact events yesterday, especially the posts by Arash (who, in his complete delirium declared himself a mod for some reason, ).

My thoughts go out to the people in Japan, especially with the recently developing events. However, barring unforeseen devastation if the shit hits the fan with the reactors, they will recover. Notice there's been no clear word of looting compared to other recent natural disasters? The Japanese are remaining pretty damn calm considering the chain of events. In addition, it's not like Japan has been unable to recover from disaster. Cases in point: Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, the Tokyo firebombing and BOTH A-bomb drops in WWII, and the more recent Kobe earthquake of 1995. Each time, they've rebuilt, and actually managed to become economically stronger as a result.

Sorry for the rant, but although things look bleak right now, the situation will stabilize, and we'll see Japan bounce back pretty hard.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #736
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I watched it, it's just the shadow of the helicopter. The horrible resolution and encoding of that video makes it harder to determine than it should be
You can actually see it cutting through the water tho. Bad resolution yes but shadows can't do that.
Posted via RS Mobile
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
You can actually see it cutting through the water tho. Bad resolution yes but shadows can't do that.
Posted via RS Mobile
2 different planes. (and I don't mean airplanes). If you rewind back to 1:56 or so, you can actually see the shadow further up where there are waves. When it passes the smooth water, the reflection doesn't hit the camera. When it passes the waves, it does.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #738
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
im watching right now too, and what im seeing is the Japanese ambassador bullshitting right to Wolf Blitzers face, for fucks sake tell the truth man people's lives are at stake, and this fcking guy is sittin there trying to save face...

Japan needs a good North American politician right now. They can lie without batting an eyelid. Gordon Campbell = one of the best.

Or Clinton........... "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #739

Should be interesting to see how things are when I go to Japan in May... I wonder if Tokyo at least will be recovered by then? I imagine so...
Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #740
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Should be interesting to see how things are when I go to Japan in May... I wonder if Tokyo at least will be recovered by then? I imagine so...
Tokyo has already recovered.

Assuming there isn't a major nuclear disaster, everywhere should be pretty much back to normal.

I was on the third floor of a huge department store when the quake hit. Felt and looked like some kind of Universal Studios attraction. Pretty wild experience, but with all the devastation that resulted I feel bad for enjoying the moment.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #741

So all the trains and shit are running again already? holy crap
Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #742
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Geologists suspect that today's quake was actually an aftershock of a much weaker magnitude-7.2 quake on 9 March. They warn that seismic stress has not yet relaxed in some particularly vulnerable parts of Japan, including the Tokyo region, 400 kilometres south of today's epicentre.

Both quakes are the result of the Pacific tectonic plate sliding beneath the Japanese islands. At eight centimetres per year, convergence along this subduction zone is extremely fast in geological terms.

"Although certainly very big, today's quake was not totally unexpected," says John McCloskey, a geophysicist at the University of Ulster in Coleraine, UK. "Technically, it was in fact an aftershock of the weaker quake earlier in the week — even though it may sound odd that an aftershock can be stronger than the main shock."

McCloskey's group had just completed computer calculations of the changes in seismic stress caused by the 9 March quake when the big one struck. They quickly detected the seismic causality between the two events.

"The previous quake, although much smaller, significantly increased stress in the fraction of the fault zone that ruptured today," says McCloskey.

The sequence of quakes has probably also affected the stress field further south along the fault zone, critically increasing the earthquake risk in the Tokyo region, he says.

"There is a strong interaction of quakes along a subduction zone, and we can certainly expect a number of major aftershocks in the next weeks," he says. "Some may be as large as, or even stronger than, the quake that last month devastated Christchurch in New Zealand. And chances are that another very large shock could occur to the south near Tokyo."
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1103....2011.156.html
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #743
SFICC-05*

Quote:
So all the trains and shit are running again already? holy crap
Nay, most of the train lines are still down. A few of the metro lines resumed service on the night of the earthquake.

Life in Tokyo has continued on basically, other than the aftershocks and constant news. A lot of people are staying in their apartments and just drinking and waiting it out. However, people are constantly thinking about the people up north who are still stuck under wreckage.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #744
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Hey Chun since you are there can you tell us what the Gov't is saying about the nuclear reactors' situation?

Coz the TV news here says the reactor has already been leaking radioactive substance into the air and this is what we are looking at:
https://britishcolumbiachemtrailaler...-of-radiation/

So the big question is whether they have officially confirmed or rejected the possibility of an ongoing meltdown at this point?

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #745
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
^ aghhh wtf thats scary shit man!!! Why is it all going our way????

> 2005 Acura TSX ASPEC <
> 2003 Acura RSX-S <
> 1994 Acura Intergra LS <
> 1994 Honda Civic SI <
> 1991 Acura Integra GS < ( RIP )
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #746
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
It's majorly the wind direction over the Pacific....It's always been blowing that way it's not going to change because you have a meltdown...
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-gtv?lang=ja_JP

Live news say the original shock was officially a Richter 9.0 quake.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #747
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
From what i know 750 RADS is not alot but what kinda potential damage will this do to us?

> 2005 Acura TSX ASPEC <
> 2003 Acura RSX-S <
> 1994 Acura Intergra LS <
> 1994 Honda Civic SI <
> 1991 Acura Integra GS < ( RIP )
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #748
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
^^^ Cancer, intestinal problems (the cells that line the small intestine are very sensitive to radiation).
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #749
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Hey Chun since you are there can you tell us what the Gov't is saying about the nuclear reactors' situation?

Coz the TV news here says the reactor has already been leaking radioactive substance into the air and this is what we are looking at:
https://britishcolumbiachemtrailaler...-of-radiation/

So the big question is whether they have officially confirmed or rejected the possibility of an ongoing meltdown at this point?
GOOD FUCKING GOD,

The term "rads" hasn't been used for decades, if this map was factual it would at least use the current "grays" to describe contamination levels.

There is no confirmed source of this contamination map, it was more than likely made by some asshole who was alive during the second world war or someone who has played a little too much Fallout 3.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #750

Can't believe this is getting retweeted insanely on Twitter "USA lost many lives on 9.11.01 and now Japan has lost more lives on 3.10.11. Add the 2 dates together and you will get 12.21.12."......problem with this is that the earthquake happened on 3.11.11 locally....
shawnly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: