REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #801
The sound of inevitability

RIP to all who perished .. : /

what is unbelievable are the amount of after-shocks that are occuring.. and they're all 6.0 and higher.. holy fuck
Advertisement

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #802
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I've seen stories about HAARP before. Jesse Ventura's show on TRU had some stuff on it and supposedly during an earthquake in Korea a few years back people picked up some stranger clouds after an earthquake. It's quite interesting stuff even if it HAARP has nothing to do with this quake and it shows that mankind will wipe itself of the face of this earth way before mother nature does.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #803
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
my god. its like every time i check this thread/news, something new happened. will it ever end?

also I havent' reading everything on this thread the last few days. was that rs guy able to contact his gf in japan?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #804
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Japanese police estimate the death toll in quake-hit Miyagi prefecture could surpass 10,000. Currently 763 people have been confirmed dead including one Canadian.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #805
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Japan crisis 'worst since WW2

Chris Hogg reports on the destruction wrought by the tsunami
Continue reading the main story
Japanese Earthquake

Japan tsunami Live
Fears of second reactor blast
Power cuts to last
Survivors queue for food and fuel
Japan is experiencing its greatest hardships since World War II as it tackles the aftermath of an earthquake, tsunami and a growing nuclear crisis, Prime Minister Naoto Kan says.

In a televised statement, Mr Kan warned of sweeping power cuts to come.

He said the situation at the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant remained grave, a day after an explosion at a reactor.

Meanwhile, police have warned that the death toll in tsunami-hit Miyagi prefecture alone could exceed 10,000.

Millions of survivors remain without electricity and authorities are stepping up relief efforts as the scale of the tragedy becomes clearer.

About 310,000 people have been evacuated to emergency shelters, many of them without power, Japanese broadcaster NHK reported.

Officials earlier announced that the number of troops helping with rescue work in the affected north-east region would be doubled to 100,000.

Click to play

Naoto Kan said: "We as Japanese people can overcome these hardships"
"The current situation of the earthquake, tsunami and the nuclear plants is in a way the most severe crisis in the past 65 years since World War II," Mr Kan said.

"Whether we Japanese can overcome this crisis depends on each of us.

"I strongly believe that we can get over this great earthquake and tsunami by joining together."

Mr Kan said the shutting down of the Fukushima plant and other power stations meant that electricity supplies were limited.

He said that from Monday there would be a programme of rolling power cuts that would also affect water and gas supplies and some medical facilities.

Speaking after Mr Kan, government spokesman Yukio Edano said that although seawater was being injected into reactor 3 at the Fukushima plant to cool it, gauges were not showing the water levels rising.

Continue reading the main story
Scale of nuclear accidents

Level 7 - Major release of radioactive material. Example: Chernobyl, Ukraine, 1986
Level 6 - Significant release of radioactive material. Example: Kyshtym, Russia, 1957
Level 5 - Limited release of radioactive material. Example: Three Mile Island, US, 1979, and Windscale, UK, 1957
Level 4 - Minor release of radioactive material with at least one death from radiation. Example: Tokaimura, Japan, 1999
Level 3 - Exposure in excess of 10 times the statutory annual limit for workers
Level 2 - Exposure of a member of the public in excess of 10mSv (average annual dose is 1mSv)
Level 1 - Exposure of a member of public above statutory annual limit. Minor safety problems
(Source: UN nuclear agency, IAEA)

"We do not know what to make of this," he said.

On Saturday, a huge explosion blew apart the building housing reactor 1, where technicians had been venting steam to cool the reactor.

Cooling systems to both reactors failed after the 8.9 magnitude quake struck off the north-east coast.

About 170,000 people have been evacuated from a 20km (12.4 miles) area around the plant.

Japan's nuclear agency graded the situation at the Fukushima plant as a Level 4 incident on the International Nuclear and Radiological Events Scale (Ines).

Level 4 incidents normally involve at least one death from radiation, although no-one at the plant has died.

Meanwhile, scores of ships and aircraft are struggling to reach areas worst-hit by the tsunami.

International rescue teams are also flying into Japan following an appeal by the government.

Stricken Miyagi prefecture includes the port of Minamisanriku which was mostly swept away by the tsunami.

The BBC's Rachel Harvey, outside Minamisanriku, says roads to the town are blocked and emergency workers are finding bodies amid piles of debris.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #806
Banned By Establishment

Old 03-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #807
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
at least there is a good outcome for this tragedy; shark and dolphin fishing temporarily stopped. lol
Go to hell you useless cunt. Thousands of people lost their homes, thousands are dead. And you are worried about fucking fish? "lol" indeed, you should be wiped from the face of the earth.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #808
Banned By Establishment

I don't know why you ain't banning people who have been trolling this thread? I've been rolling out bans for even making a pun about it.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #809
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Good luck chronix

i know all the news about miyagi will be really scary and stressful but you have to hope for the best

the japanese army has shelters set up in natori and they are rescuing people so hopefully everything turns out fine

communicating with the area will likely seem impossible but with the shelters setup she may be there or has already gotten out of the area

ill repost this, for help in getting into contact or getting information about friends/family that are in japan that you can't make contact with otherwise

Quote:
People who have Canadian friends or family in Japan are asked to call the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at 613-944-2471 (613-943- 1055), or toll free within Canada at 1-800-606-5499 (or 1-800-387-3124).

You can also email them. sos@international.gc.ca

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-13-2011 at 06:21 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #810
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
I've become a more sensitive person over the last 3-4 years and hearing this stuff makes me really sad

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #811
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Came across this, not sure if it's a repost as I haven't had very consistent access to RS lately:

Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #812
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Now a volcano in south Japan is resuming eruptions.
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #813
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
i was surprised none of the volcanoes erupted, but this one sounds like its been erupting all along and stopped during the earthquake
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #814
SFICC-05*

For those in Japan, here's the link to the power schedules for the outages starting tomorrow:
http://www.tepco.co.jp/index-j.html
Posted via RS Mobile
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #815
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
That one has been active for the past 2 months or so, according to the news.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #816
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
geese a possible volcanic eruption too?
mother nature, way to kick them while they're down.

I hope that doesn't happen. Japan is struggling already with dealing with the aftermath let alone dealing with a deadly volcanic eruption.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #817
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
at least there is a good outcome for this tragedy; shark and dolphin fishing temporarily stopped. lol
How can you possibly 'LOL' you ignorant idiot.. I would pay to find out who you are and beat the living shit out of you

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #818
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've been following the entire incident here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #819
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
geese a possible volcanic eruption too?
mother nature, way to kick them while they're down.

I hope that doesn't happen. Japan is struggling already with dealing with the aftermath let alone dealing with a deadly volcanic eruption.
from what people said i gather it's a normal occurrence. that it only stopped for a small amount of time before the quake (foreshadowing maybe? DUN DUN DUNNNN) but has now resumed erupting. so it's not really a kick when they're down so much as returning to business as usual.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #820

yea guy in japan was asked about the new eruptions at this mountain and he just kinda said what do you mean new this volcano has had eruptions for last 2 months its nothing new. its just cnn, bbc etc trying to make the worst case scenarios into whats actually happening or in this case something not related to it the new devastating effects of the earthquake/tsunami
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #821
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
^ Yea, after watching multiple news streams for the past couple days, ive given up watching cnn/bbc/alj for information.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #822
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
(TheWeatherSpace.com) -- Two volcanoes in Eastern Russia , Kamchatka and one other in Indonesia, have erupted around the same time as the Japan 8.9-magnitude Earthquake on Friday.

Meteorologist Kevin Martin is the lead scientist here at TheWeatherSpace.com and explains in his own way what may actually be happening.

"Waves from the Earthquake have been ringing the planet like bell, causing stress in all sections of the planet", Martin said. "Imagine a calm magma chamber that just needs one push, even if a few feet. This would be enough to cause instability in the chambers, causing volcanic eruptions in various locations. These three eruptions will not be the only mountains to go and other quakes worldwide will follow as the worldwide faults get disturbed.
http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/...eevolcano.html
Quote:

(TheWeatherSpace.com) -- One of the most active volcanos in Indonesia has erupted, blasting lava and hot gas down the slopes.

Mount Karangetang is located on Siau, part of the Sulawesi island chain. It erupted in August, killing four people.

This mountain is along the "Ring of Fire, the volcano chain surrounding the Pacific Basin.

The eruption took place hours after the Japan 8.9-magnitude Earthquake.
http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/...1_volcano.html
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #823

the problem is certain nations news cover it differently like some will report the worst problems and escalate them ie the u.s. and others will look report on those but not as negatively and focus on politics etc like Canada(another problem is Canada quotes American news too much). So basically when national disasters happen and you watch an American feed half the shit they tell you is complete crap over half of it could be complete crap actually
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #824
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Came across this, not sure if it's a repost as I haven't had very consistent access to RS lately:

Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors.
There are errors in that post.

The Richter scale is outdated, it's the Moment Magnitude Scale (Mw) that is used.

The difference between Mw 4 and Mw 5 is not 10x, it's actually about 32x because it's not strictly a simple logarithmic relationship.

10^(1.5(Mw2-Mw1)) = Difference

yoghurtfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #825
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Hey guys, check out these translated tweets by the Japanese people. Very touching.
https://docs.google.com/a/tokyohive....&pli=1&ndplr=1

I'm planning to call the Japanese embassy tomorrow. Need to see if they can help me with my situation over there.
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: