REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #1501
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
So it's been confirmed what everyone already knew; livestock growing right next to a nuclear leak contains radiation. Good luck buying beef from fukushima now!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #1502
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...e-if-necessary

Quote:
The mother of one of the atomic "samurai" working to bring Japan's stricken nuclear plant under control has said her son and his colleagues expect to die as a result of their efforts. Meanwhile, there are reports that additional workers are being offered big money to dash into the radiation-drenched heart of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, perform a job, then withdraw.
In a phone interview with Fox News, the tearful mother of a 32-year-old worker said: "My son and his colleagues have discussed it at length and they have committed themselves to die if necessary to save the nation."
"He told me they have accepted they will all probably die from radiation sickness in the short term or cancer in the long term," the woman added.
"They know it is impossible for them not to have been exposed to lethal doses of radiation."
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #1503
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
In a phone interview with Fox News,
and the next line of the article in the link

Quote:
The woman did not give her name, because she said the workers had been asked by management not to speak publicly about their ordeal, in order to minimize panic.

Soo... an Anonymous call to FOX News claiming to be a mother of a plant worker....

yeah...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #1504
Rs has made me the man i am today!

In all honesty, if it were me, I would have fled the country. Brave workers
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #1505
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Following the devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan recently, SoftBank president and founder Masayoshi Son has decided to give free cell phones to all the children who were orphaned by the earthquake. Not only that, but he also promised that none of these children would have to pay any cell fees until they reach 18 years old.

After the quake, some 3,800 of SoftBank's cell towers were taken out of commission. This made it impossible for any SoftBank customers to make or receive calls in the affected area. All cellular providers were affected by this devastating earthquake.

Masayoshi Son recently went to the city of Tamura, where many people have sought refuge following the devastating tsunami and Fukushima nuclear disaster. Masayoshi Son was so moved by what he saw there that he offered to buy food, pay for commuter costs and offered jobs to many of the refugees. Son, who has nearly 1 million followers on Twitter, recently asked his followers for suggestions about how SoftBank could further help earthquake victims.

When one of his Twitter followers, suggested that SoftBank should offer free cell phone service to all the children orphaned by the earthquake, Masayoshi Son decided to enact this idea right away. Son has stated that this free cell phone service will continue until the children reach 18 years of age. Also, as SoftBank is the sole provider of iPhones in Japan, any customer who lost or damaged their iPhone as a result of the quake will receive a free replacement. Hopefully, other companies will follow the example set by SoftBank's generosity.
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #1506
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
considering cell providers rofl in money i'm suprised to hear it.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #1507

OK I hate Softbank just a little bit less now
Old 04-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #1508
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
"On Saturday, workers discovered an 8-inch (20-centimeter) long crack in a maintenance pit that was leaking highly radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean, said Japan Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama", AP/Yahoo News reports.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #1509

Key quote from that article:

"The contaminated water will quickly dissipate into the sea and is not expected to cause any health hazard."

Luckily it was just iodine, so it'll be gone before anyone can notice.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #1510
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Animation for little kids to help them understand the nuclear crisis in Japan. Remember it's for little kids...sometimes I think Japan is hilarious.

R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #1511
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Dog that was trapped out in sea for 3 weeks got saved and gets reunited with owner, the Dog already smelled her coming and was going nuts

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #1512
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
that cluster of floating debris looks strangely heart shaped.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #1513
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
Looked around, didn't see this posted

good watch with an ominous ending
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #1514
I bringith the lowerballerith

7.4 just hit coast of miyagi
Posted via RS Mobile
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #1515
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...pan-quake.html

Yeah. These poor people just can't get a break.

Quote:
Japan was rattled by a strong aftershock and tsunami warning Thursday night nearly a month after a devastating earthquake and tsunami flattened the northeastern coast.

The Japan meteorological agency issued a tsunami warning for a wave of up to one metre. The warning was issued for a coastal area already torn apart by last month's tsunami.

Officials said Thursday's quake was a 7.4-magnitude and hit 40 kilometres under the water and off the coast of Miyagi prefecture. The quake that preceded last month's tsunami was a 9.0-magnitude.

Buildings as far away as Tokyo shook for about a minute.

U.S. Geological Survey gave the preliminary magnitude as 7.4 and it struck off the eastern coast 100 kilometres from Sendai and 140 kilometres from Fukushima. It was about 345 kilometres from Tokyo. The depth was 40 kilometres. Shallower quakes tend to be more destructive.

Hundreds of aftershocks have shaken the northeast region devastated by the March 11 earthquake, but few have been stronger than 7.0.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #1516
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Just can't get a break over there....
Posted via RS Mobile
Rogue951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #1517
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

again? omg ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #1518
SFICC-05*

Tokyo's looking still quite alright. People outside celebrating hanami (sakura trees are blooming now) weren't rattled at all. Hope the tsunami warning up north is just going to be a safety precaution.
Posted via RS Mobile
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #1519
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
The tsunami warning has been lifted at least so nothing to worry there.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #1520
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Tokyo's looking still quite alright. People outside celebrating hanami (sakura trees are blooming now) weren't rattled at all. Hope the tsunami warning up north is just going to be a safety precaution.
Posted via RS Mobile
It's also Hana Matsuri today in Japan (8th of April).

BTW, just curious - How long will you be in Japan?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #1521
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Damn, another strong one hits eh..

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1522
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thank god its only a 7.4 this time. Hope the people of Japan was ready for this one
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #1523
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

You can't really be "ready" for tsunamis...which is usually what caused the most damage. Most buildings in japan are relatively well fortified for earth quakes.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #1524
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0seven View Post
Thank god its only a 7.4 this time. Hope the people of Japan was ready for this one
They "were" ready for the first one. Its kind of difficult when you have 20 minutes or so to evacuate to higher ground.

Although this one felt smaller than the first one, it was listed as a 7.0 immediately following the quake on TV, which was the same case for the first one. I was concerned it was another mega quake, but perhaps further north. Relieved to know it wasn't.

Must suck to be tooling away in the reactor and feel that though. They mentioned on the TV there might be some kind of problem with another Nuclear plant in Miyage. Haven't heard anything since.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #1525
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
You can't really be "ready" for tsunamis...which is usually what caused the most damage. Most buildings in japan are relatively well fortified for earth quakes.
I guess it depends on your definition of ready. If deconstructing your home, digging up infrastructure and transporting all the materials to a new place inland, and rebuilding before the wave hits meets your criteria; then no you cant be ready.

But if notifying practically every citizen of the incoming quake on their cell phones before the ground even starts shaking, shutting down all power plants and industrial facilities, the most comprehensive data and surveillance equipment on the planet providing up to date info across the country. Not to mention regular tsunami practice drills (Japanese practice drills that is), 10 meter high tsunami barriers, high ground evacuation locations and early warning audible systems in virtually every town that was significantly impacted by the wave does meet your criteria, I think they were ready.

In fact, the Nuclear plants went into full shutdown mode immediately after the quake. If the diesel generators were in a logical place, above any potential tsunami, the word Daiichi wouldn't be known outside of Japan.

If Japan wasn't ready there would probably be hundreds of thousands of corpses instead of tens.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: