REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Small Business Loans

I have an opportunity to take over a business that does ~80-130k a year in profit, but I've just taken myself out of debt and paid off something that went to collections.

I need 90k to "buy" the business, but I don't know where to look, or for that matter even if I will get approved for a loan.

How do small business loans work? Do I need my own capital, or will banks fork over the money if the business plan is good.
Advertisement
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
bank will grade you on the 5 c's of credit

Character - that is you! what kind of background you have (education/work/biz exp etc..)
Collateral - this is like inventory at your biz ( quicker to turnover the better it is )
Capital - how much of your own funds you got invested? Are you as involved as the bank?
Conditions - this is like debt covenants and stuff ( dont think it applies to small biz - i'm not sure )
Capacity - cashflow of biz. do you have enough cash flow to pay your obligations.

answer those yourself . and present your case to the bank using that info. you will be in their good books.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Have you gotten a full audit of the business done independently?

It's very, very easy for a small business to make themselves look more profitable than they actually are (and I have seen this done many, many times to lure in prospective buyers). The bank will probably want this any how, but I wouldn't put a cent into it until it was done if I were you. Also a credit check and an audit of debts you will inherit with the company.

Selling a business for 90K that does more than that in a single year in profit strikes me as a bit questionable but I imagine it depends hugely on the industry.

Here's some info on the Canadian small business financing program: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/csbfp-pfpec.nsf/eng/Home

It's more for improvements on business than aquisition of business though.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Its not a sale persay more like a takeover for someone who wanys to keep his intrests in that franchisee while taking a better oppurtunity in the company. The source is trusted too.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Buying a business for 1x profits means that there's something wrong with the business. NO ONE sells their business for 1x profit unless there's something that's going to happen, or has happened that would materially affect the business.

Knowing you, you're going to ignore my advice and go ahead and try to get the money somehow. Don't say I didn't warn you cause you're gonna get fucked up the ass hard.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

The reason isn't sketchy, its actually my bro norm.

Its legit, its just a franchise issue because he's taking a better position within the company on the other side of the country.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
The reason isn't sketchy, its actually my bro norm.

Its legit, its just a franchise issue because he's taking a better position within the company on the other side of the country.
Posted via RS Mobile
Because your brothers have such a good record of looking out for your best interests right?

Maybe this is the good brother. Maybe he's being nice to you by selling for 1x profit. Maybe he really sucks at business. Maybe this... maybe that.

I can tell you for certain that 1x profit is sketch.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
VLS Head Mod

Dafonz if you're not going to contribute don't post
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

No he's right with his first comment.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
VLS Head Mod

Sorry I was getting at that last comment
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
Dafonz if you're not going to contribute don't post
Posted via RS Mobile
I know his history a lot better than you do so actually yah I am contributing and my advice is sound. Piss off.