REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #101
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ehhhh, that is the general consensus lol. i mean, it all sounds logical, so...

on a side note, i have always liked buying small amounts of gold, and slowly building up a collection. although i do constantly check prices like a crazy person xD!, in the long run, regardless how much you are spending each time, it is still a "safe" thing to do.

my grandfather used to buy 1oz of gold for himself every year of his life as a reward to himself. each year gold went up in price, and he still buys 1oz regardless. looking back now, he still made a huge profit (if you're doing this for that reason ;p)

EDIT: i also look at it this way. a few years ago when the economy was still a bit better, i invested into BMO's GIC. after 2 years, my 5000$ turned into 5400. now you wont get that much for 5000$. however, if i had bought 5000$ worth of gold, i would probably had ended up with over 6000$ after 2 years. it really depends how you want to look at it, as a short term investment? like the GIC, or a long term investment like my grandfather.
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #102
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

delete

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 05-24-2012 at 11:21 AM.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #103
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
What's your outlook on bullion in the mid-term (3-5 years)?

I'm predicting that gold will double and silver will triple.

I think the endgame of the current Euro financial crisis will be another Lehman Brothers moment in either Europe or America and we will see another financial crisis similar to what happened in 2008. But this time it's going to be a whole lot bigger because since then the banks have only gotten bigger (thus adding more systemic risk) and the central banks of the world are saddled with unprecedented debt from previous bailouts and stimulus packages. I think when this crisis comes, investors will rush to precious metals because the US dollar and US treasury notes will no longer be seen as safe. This is when the price of gold and silver will skyrocket. Your thoughts?
I think gold and silver are solid long term investments, they will continually appreciate in value indefinitely as demand increases and resources become more difficult to access. In the 3-5 year term however, 200-300% gains are very optimistic, imo. The market for gold and silver spiked during the initial stages of the recession with nervous investors running towards a safe asset and seeing as no market has entirely recovered, and arguably the recession hasn't even ended, a lot of the money that will be put into gold is already there. Not that more money won't flow in as the market becomes more unstable, but I don't think it will more significant than 100% for gold and maybe 150% for silver. I have a fair bit tied up in silver, so hopefully you're right and I'm wrong.

I keep my silver in a safety deposit box, btw.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #104

I'm more bullish on silver than on gold because I think there is already (and has always) been a lot of interest in gold as a preserver of wealth (gold has been used as money for 5000 years). And as more and more people learn about the destructive effects of massive money printing by the central banks, more and more people will start to get into gold.

As this process unfolds, the price of gold will become "unreachable" to many/most average investors. When this happens, I believe that these investors will start to pile up on silver because (imo) silver is the "poor man's gold." And as Im sure all of you know, when everyone starts to "get in" on the "greatest investment of the decade" thats when prices start to soar and prudent investors will start to sell.

Also, silver is one of the most useful commodities in the world. Silver is used in computers, cellphones, solar panels etc. And I think the demand for these products can only grow whereas silver is a finite resource. This is a lethal combination for long-term investors.

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 02-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #105

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 05-21-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #106

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 05-21-2012 at 03:04 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #107

Hey guys, I bought some 10 oz silver bars from VCBE and they look "used". Does the value of bullion take a hit if they're scuffed up? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #108
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I bought some 10 oz silver bars from VCBE and they look "used". Does the value of bullion take a hit if they're scuffed up? Thanks.
Nope, a small scuff on the surface won't affect the value of bullion; the purity and weight remain unchanged.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #109

delete delete

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 02-10-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #110
Banned By Establishment

Look like you got the silver bug. If you wait till next week or so, VBCE and most bullion dealers will have the 4th coin in the wildlife series maple leaf available. I usually like to buy a tube of these but only when the price of silver is low enough for me. You might still be able to find some of the 3rd coins in the series at the bullion dealers.
http://www.mint.ca/store/news/newest...About+the+Mint

Last edited by DJ Milk; 02-07-2012 at 10:32 PM.
DJ Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Monkey Monk View Post
Look like you got the silver bug. If you wait till next week or so, VBCE and most bullion dealers will have the 4th coin in the wildlife series maple leaf available. I usually like to buy a tube of these but only when the price of silver is low enough for me. You might still be able to find some of the 3rd coins in the series at the bullion dealers.
http://www.mint.ca/store/news/newest...About+the+Mint
Thanks for the heads up snoop!

Yea! I am definitely a silverbug. I think will triple in 3-5 years so Im buying as much as I can now.

How many coins are in a tube? And is there a discount buying in tubes? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #112
Banned By Establishment

A RCM tube holds 25 coins. There's usually no discount when buying the wildlife series in tubes but there is when you buy 2 tubes of regular maple leafs but not much discount though. Wildlife tubes come with blue lids and regular tube comes with yellow lids.

And if you have money laying around get a Kilo Coin from the Perth Mint

Last edited by DJ Milk; 02-07-2012 at 11:26 PM.
DJ Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Monkey Monk View Post
A RCM tube holds 25 coins. There's usually no discount when buying the wildlife series in tubes but there is when you buy 2 tubes of regular maple leafs but not much discount though. Wildlife tubes come with blue lids and regular tube comes with yellow lids.

And if you have money laying around get a Kilo Coin from the Perth Mint
1kg Kookaburras - YouTube
LOL @ the 1 Kilo coin. How is one suppose to turn that in when it's time to sell? Imagine lugging that bad boy through DT to VCBE haha

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 05-21-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #114
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
lol did u pull the trigger? i didn't... sigh, sorta wish i did now. shoulda shorted silver futures on the daily chart. woulda made a nice %.
Ha I didn't realise how long it's been since I checked this thread. Can't remember if I did but if I made a comment on it, I probably did well that day. This thread's gotten a lot more active
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #115
I bringith the lowerballerith

I'm pretty new to Silver and precious metal investing.

But I can say I've been doing my DD and research the last little while and really see potential in metals at the very least.

I got to say I'm slowly going to start my silver stack collection!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #116

Some interesting pieces of information from titans of the industry (James Turk of Goldmoney.com, Eric Sprott (billionaire) and founder of Sprott Asset Management, et al):

The historical price ratio between silver and gold for hundreds of years has been about 16:1. This is so because this is roughly the ratio of silver to gold present on planet earth.

At this moment, silver and gold is trading at roughly 50:1, so silver is tremendously undervalued. To add to this anomaly, silver is immensely more valuable as an industrial metal than is gold (silver is used in computers, cell phones, solar panels, etc.). So technically, silver should be trading at ratios even lower than 16:1.

James Turk, Eric Sprott and many other very brilliant people assert that the central banks of the world have been manipulating the gold and silver market for years-trying to keep their value low relative to their respective currencies. And because silver is a relatively small market, they (the central bankers) are trying to keep the price of silver depressed as to indirectly keep the price of gold down. But in doing this, the central banks (and their affiliates, ie. Wall Street banks) are hemorrhaging massive amounts of money on their shorts. Eric Sprott et. al. assert that this artificial manipulation of the gold/silver markets cannot be sustained because it's getting way to expensive and they (the central banks) will eventually throw in the towel. And when this happens, both gold and silver will soar and the historical price ratio of silver to gold @ 16:1 will return. In today's dollars, that would make silver worth $107 per ounce.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #117
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^interesting! i heard of something similar before, but i heard silver was closer to gold than 16:1. either way, same theory. silver SHOULD be worth more than it is. and when the correction happens, silver should shoot up like crazy!

hope you guys all the best of luck! i am a Gold fanboy though, i dont really buy silver. i just buy gold... maybe i should though eh? lol ;D
Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #118

:P

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 05-21-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #119
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

J and m jewellery on broadway and metrotown.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #120
My homepage has been set to RS

there is another thread for $20 canadian coins (1/4oz) with a face value of $20
seems like a decent deal considering you cant lose money even if silver tanks
then again you lose out to annual inflation until silver prices hit over $80/oz
Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #121

Does anyone know how the Canadian government views bullion? There must be some reason that there is no tax on bullion (I am guessing because it is considered "money"). But if it's money, then why does one have to pay capital gains on "money?"
Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #122

James Turk, founder of GoldMoney.com, which is a bank that deals specifically with precious metals, predicts $8,000 gold and $400 silver by 2015.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #123
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

J&M 100 silver maples kicks the crap out of vbce's 500 silver maple rates.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #124

Money making money still gets taxed. Of course there'd be no tax if u started buying stuff in gold straight up.
Quote:
Does anyone know how the Canadian government views bullion? There must be some reason that there is no tax on bullion (I am guessing because it is considered "money"). But if it's money, then why does one have to pay capital gains on "money?"
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #125

Lets just say I called today regarding the 20$ face value on the canoe coin and it's already selling at 23$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synarchist View Post
there is another thread for $20 canadian coins (1/4oz) with a face value of $20
seems like a decent deal considering you cant lose money even if silver tanks
then again you lose out to annual inflation until silver prices hit over $80/oz