REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Where to get headlight housing painted?

I wanted to get rid of the chrome in my headlights, get them opened up and painted flat black. Anyone know of any places in the Vancouver area that do this?
Advertisement
bainstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
diy its very easy
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Thats a rattle can job, I doubt a shop would take on a project so small.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
it depends on how old your car is, if it's newer i would have to say it's the total opposite of easy and simple, it's not easy and you will be lucky if you find a local shop to do it for less than $1000, it's very labour intensive. I've done around 40 sets of lights for the local G35 and 350z guys and other Nissan guys... these newer lights with silicone are hard to take apart and have more than 1 bezel piece inside which makes it difficult to pry apart.

but on the other hand I've done a few 300zx lights and instead of silicone they use butyl, which is a much much softer compound and quite a bit easier to take apart, so i would assume the shops who really know headlights wouldn't have a problem taking on projects like this with headlights who use GLASS for their bezel as opposed to plastic, it's very easy to melt the plastic bezel i learned the hard way myself, this is why shops won't do newer plastic bezel style lights. So my suggestion is if it's an older car DIY it for sure because like i said glass you can't melt in an oven, but if it's a newer car find someone local, and don't PM me I've stopped doing it a while ago, and i used to charge $250 for a set but it takes up too much of my time

here's some examples from the work i've done previously
older headlights with grey butyl

and some 350z lights with silicone and various bezel pieces that are super easy to snap when prying apart the lights

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Nice work. I did find a local shop, they said they will charge me $100. I will keep you guys posted. I also know a guy out in the states that does it for $100, however, the shipping gets pricey.

I also am looking to get my taillights and front windows tinted, not totally dark, just a smoked out look, recemend anyplaces?

Last edited by bainstang; 03-15-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
bainstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Interested. keep us posted!
jjll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
n-motion is probably mentioned the most when it comes to tailight and window tinting from all the threads i've seen on RS

keep in mind that tinting taillights no matter how light is illegal and icbc will shit on you if you ever get in any kind of accident God forbid because of an illegal modification like tinting tails because of the obvious reasons, it blocks light output
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

any news on this local shop? thanks